Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #1

Air in generator fuel line

I have 2003 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with the Cummins ISC CAPS equipped fuel system and a Cummins Onan 8KW generator. The fuel pickup for the generator is at half a tank. (1/2 tank--I don't know why)) When fuel approaches that level any significant slope allows the pickup to suck air and shut the genny down. I've read many of the posts about the lift pump and CAPS so I am thinking of a FASS system.

Would taking generator fuel off the FASS output be a good idea? Has anyone done that? I recognize that the fuel pressure from FASS may need to be reduced for the generator.

The simple solution would be to extend the pickup tube but its $$$ to hire that job and I'm not equipped to do it myself.
Rupertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupertom View Post
I have 2003 Holiday Rambler Ambassador with the Cummins ISC CAPS equipped fuel system and a Cummins Onan 8KW generator. The fuel pickup for the generator is at half a tank. (1/2 tank--I don't know why)) When fuel approaches that level any significant slope allows the pickup to suck air and shut the genny down. I've read many of the posts about the lift pump and CAPS so I am thinking of a FASS system.

Would taking generator fuel off the FASS output be a good idea? Has anyone done that? I recognize that the fuel pressure from FASS may need to be reduced for the generator.

The simple solution would be to extend the pickup tube but its $$$ to hire that job and I'm not equipped to do it myself.
They terminated the fuel pick up at about 1/2 tank so you wouldn't run the tank dry with generator, leaving you stranded. But 1/2 tank is way too high, IMHO.

I extended my fuel pick up line using this from Autozone about 7 years ago. Still doing fine.

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-system...kit/963501_0_0

You can cut them to length. I wouldn't suggest getting the tube down too far. I calculated it, and I'm at about 50 gallons remaining when the generator shuts down. But I've never gotten it that low. I drive on the top half of the gauge. I know of a couple monaco owners that got it down to the 20-30 gallon remaining range, but that's a little low for my comfort level.
It's not difficult to do. You have to identify which fuel line going into tank is the pick up and return line.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
YC1

Extended mine as well but actually had an issue when RV was new. The factory did not tighten the pickup hose clamp. It would suck air when above 1/2 tanks and if on a slope it might work better or worse depending on the slope.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

Do the doors/covers to tank area open. If so it shouldn't be too hard to remove pick up tube . For those who did maybe they could have elaborated a bit more. Removing my fuel level sender was pretty easy. I spent more time cleaning than it took to remove it.
My pick up for genny and AH are about 30-40 gals. of 200gal tank depending tilt.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #5
YC1

To elaborate on our 2008 HR Endeavor.

The fuel fill on the drivers side (we have both sides), is a panel that is held closed (hinged) along one side. You have to be very careful to wrap your screwdriver with tape to protect the paint. Once opened it was easy to get to the clamps.

My pickup tube was lengthened because it would run the generator dry around a 1/2 tank especially when cornering. I rarely run less than 1/2 tank. The extension was easy enough and we have been very happy since.

Now don't get me started on the prefill/no prefill of the filters. That one has been beat to death. My coach says no prefill but it will NOT run properly unless I do. Nuff said on that one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, fuel, generator