Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #1

Air leak

First post, first Class A. Just picked up a 98 Gulfstream 36' with a Cummins 8.3 and i've been going through the engine maintenance and chassis systems. It's a lot to tackle and i've got manuals and this forum. Checking the air system and i'm hearing a leak after we get to full pressure and the engine shut down. I got under and poked around with a bottle of soapy water and found a 'valve' that is leaking between the two air tanks up front. (Spartan chassis). I could use some help identifying this part so I know what parts to purchase and fix it. Thanks in advance!

Heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heetseeker View Post
First post, first Class A. Just picked up a 98 Gulfstream 36' with a Cummins 8.3 and i've been going through the engine maintenance and chassis systems. It's a lot to tackle and i've got manuals and this forum. Checking the air system and i'm hearing a leak after we get to full pressure and the engine shut down. I got under and poked around with a bottle of soapy water and found a 'valve' that is leaking between the two air tanks up front. (Spartan chassis). I could use some help identifying this part so I know what parts to purchase and fix it. Thanks in advance!

Heetseeker,
For some odd reason, your pic is real small and, it won't allow me to click on it to zoom in. But, for lack of another or, any bit of "on line " approach advice here, I'd take that picture, print it out and zoom down to your local Freightliner or, maybe even Napa and show them the pic to help identify just which component it is in the air system.

Or, if you're a bit handy, you may be able to remove that valve/component and take it apart to see just might be the culprit. Could be just an o-ring that's gone bad. Never know.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #3

Thanks...I've been looking online at air system components and it looks like a pressure protection valve? Not sure what is going on with the pictures.. i'll read up on that too!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #4

pic

lets try this again...Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch-1534747446184.png
Views:	104
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	215761
Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That is indeed a pressure protection valve. Looks just like one I replaced this spring that was feeding the air suspension on my Spartan Chassis. Prior to replacing my tanks would fully leak down and required a long time to fully air back up. Now when the air bags are dumped the tanks maintain around 70psi with the new valve.
BTW I also had a check valve leaking and replaced next to the Pressure protection valve.
Purchased online thru ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-9055410...72.m2749.l2649
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6273.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	215762
Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 AM   #6

Wow! Thanks for the link. Ordered that valve and will be leak free in a week or so.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #7

Wow,
You guys got me thinking. I've had a "slight" air leak ever since we purchased our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330HP C-7 CAT about 7 years ago. It used to hold pressure somewhat decent after I hit the auto leveling HWH system for quite a while, as in a few days. But, when I hit the auto level now, as soon as the last jack is set, and the HWH system is satisfied and shuts down the leveling system, I still hear some air escaping somewhere. I never used to hear that for the longest time, as in the first few years. But, it's almost every time now.
So, as soon as we get back from an upcoming trip, I'm gonna dive into the search for the mysterious air leak.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Scott,

I'm late to the party, but check the back of your air gauges. That is where I found that the brass push connection mounted in the air gauge itself was leaking for the primary air system.

Good luck.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Vaflatlander
From the picture looks to me to be a check valve moisture ejector combination. I would take your picture to the nearest truck shop and I'm sure they'd be able to identify it.
Vaflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, leak