Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

Air line additives.

I have been told that there are additives to put in your airlines that help lubricate ride height valve adjusters and other parts of the air system. Any input on this?
cuba-doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

How would you add the additives?

I've never added anything to the air system, but I do change the drying filter every few years.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
There are additives used in air compressors and systems to lubricate and prevent rust of the interior lines. Problem is, your airlines also have large rubber air springs and rubber diaphragms in the brakes. I wonder how compatible they are with the various additives. I've never added anything to my air system to lubricate it, I don't think I will worry about it unless someone can show me a good reason to do it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Any type of additive could foul the air dryer.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
The only thing that should be in your air lines is clean,dry air.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The only thing that should be in your air lines is clean,dry air.
+100!!!!!

OP should not be reading about snake oil salesmen!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
+100!!!!!

OP should not be reading about snake oil salesmen!
But what would all those sellers of magic mystery airline lubricants do to make a living?

The airline treatments I found were for airlines in paint shops and garages with permanent air systems, I didn't see any that apply to the air system in a truck, bus, or RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #8

Methyl hydrate is added to the air system to prevent FREEZING due to water in the air lines.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #9

I am an industrial robotics and automation engineer by trade. Industry uses air line oil . Most industrial electr-mechanical valves and solenoids fire 60 to 200 times per minute, 24 hours per day. With the high cycling rate lubrication is needed for longevity. A very light (10 weight or less) oil is used and metered in small amounts. Also air is usually purged with each cycle so oil is essentially blown out of the system. If you enter oil in a closed loop system the oil has to be compressed and slows down an actuator. That's why you shouldn't use oil in your motor home. And using something like wd40 will actually wash the factory lube off of orings and cause premature wear and failure. I hope this helps.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
Methyl hydrate is added to the air system to prevent FREEZING due to water in the air lines.
That's probably why many MH's have air dryers and part of the standard operator maintenance is to bleed the low points of the air tanks every six months.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
When I started trucking (and with farm equipment that had air systems), Yes we did use alcohol injection to lesson the water/icing conditions in air lines... HOWEVER>>> this was before the advent of air dryers for the tanks and air systems...
Since the late 60's the use of air dryers for the air systems in trucks/buses & equipment is widespread and we no longer have to depend on adding/injecting anything to the air system, the only exception is those few [specialized] systems that require the lube properties, and are designed for adding lube of some sort. motor vehicles are not one however...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The only time a air line additive is needed if in the winter time you get frozen water in your air system! If this is the case, your air drier/heater is not working properly! It is a air line de-icer, and I had to use this stuff only one time in my semi in the very cold weather! Keep your air drier serviced and working properly, and you do not need anything added to the system!

On semi's, that are hooking to different trailers that are left sitting in the winter with the glad hands exposed to the weather, you can and will get water in them, and this is used to thaw the trailer system out!

On my own semi trailer, when I dropped it at my house in the country in the winter time, I had dummy glad hands made up, to put on my trailer hook up's, to keep the system dry and the elements out!

But the guys that did drop and hook in the winter time, would run into this problem of ice in the trailer glad hands and air lines!

On your MH's you should never need any of this, period! Rail!
Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
the only time a air line additive is needed if in the winter time you get frozen water in your air system! If this is the case, your air drier/heater is not working properly! It is a air line de-icer, and i had to use this stuff only one time in my semi in the very cold weather! Keep your air drier serviced and working properly, and you do not need anything added to the system!

On semi's, that are hooking to different trailers that are left sitting in the winter with the glad hands exposed to the weather, you can and will get water in them, and this is used to thaw the trailer system out!

On my own semi trailer, when i dropped it at my house in the country in the winter time, i had dummy glad hands made up, to put on my trailer hook up's, to keep the system dry and the elements out!

But the guys that did drop and hook in the winter time, would run into this problem of ice in the trailer glad hands and air lines!

On your mh's you should never need any of this, period! Rail!
exactly correct !!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air