Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Air ride susp. Revolution. Air bags won't inflate.

I put the Fleetwood into gear once without raising the jacks.
The Power Gear alarm went off and I reversed the procedure and put it back in N and raised the jacks.
All went well until I realized the air bags did not inflate.
We have cycled the system many times since then and they will not inflate unless I crawl under the coach and hit the button manually on the Parker/Hannafin air celinoid. It airs up then and remains aired while we drive but as soon as you lower the jacks it kicks out and you have to manually push the little button on the celinoid.
What part, fuse, breaker, celinoid, dump valve Or motor home do I have to replace?
fltrker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

Once you put it in gear did they not come up along with the alarm I'm confused about you reversed something.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #3

You might try disconnecting the chassis battery for a couple of minutes. This usually fixes mysterious anomalies in my Winnebago.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Couple of points/observations with my Rev. Never START the engine with jacks deployed. The bags will inflate and the jacks dont like it. That will also prevent you from putting the tranny into gear.

I agree to disconnect power.

If that doesnt work try operating the manual dump switch to see if that "resets" things.

If all else fails call your chassis manufacturer.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Couple of points/observations with my Rev. Never START the engine with jacks deployed. The bags will inflate and the jacks dont like it. That will also prevent you from putting the tranny into gear.

I agree to disconnect power.

If that doesnt work try operating the manual dump switch to see if that "resets" things.

If all else fails call your chassis manufacturer.
I always start engine then retract jacks which will not come up till air is full.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Couple of points/observations with my Rev. Never START the engine with jacks deployed. The bags will inflate and the jacks dont like it. That will also prevent you from putting the tranny into gear. I agree to disconnect power. If that doesnt work try operating the manual dump switch to see if that "resets" things. If all else fails call your chassis manufacturer.
Why is inflating the bags bad for the jacks? Why can't you put the tranny in gear? Just checking to see if the revolution is different. Filling the bags with the jacks down is actually better on the bags and the jacks don't care. The transmission will also go into gear and move, but you will get the warning buzzer. You see that happen anytime the fluid level is a little low in the jack hydraulic reservoir. Cycling the manual dump valve may help, but it sounds like one of the solenoid a on the fill/dump valve is not working. You can swap them from side to side to prove this and to fill the bags and travel.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
akeyzoo; Power Gear jacks will not operate unless the ignition key is on, their manual states that the engine must be running in order to provide enough power to properly operate their leveling system. The air bags on a power gear system will not inflate till the jacks are all the way up.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
akeyzoo; Power Gear jacks will not operate unless the ignition key is on, their manual states that the engine must be running in order to provide enough power to properly operate their leveling system. The air bags on a power gear system will not inflate till the jacks are all the way up.
Power Gear jacks will not operate unless the ignition is on. True. However, the engine should be running so that additional amps. assist in retraction. If not a great way to spend money! The air bags will inflate with the jacks down, at least on our Providence. I have used this method many times when on uneven ground thus preventing stress on the rams and seals.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #9

Perhaps it's a "Revolution Thang". If you have ever seen the bags deflate on a Rev the coach will actually do down AND forward about 6". It's the forward forces the bags introduce that make me uneasy. When I start my rig, the inflating bags actually pull the coach rearward WHILE lifting. I hear creaks and noises I prefer not to repeat. I have talked to other Rev owners that experience the same thing, at least on the Spartan Liberty platform.

Also, my system is not Power Gear, rather Equalizer Systems.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #10

I have a 2002 Fleetwood Revolution with Power Gear with the Freightliner chassis and the air bags drop on my coach, the coach comes straight down about 5 inches. The leveling system has control of the air bag system and would lead me to believe that should be true. I had a low voltage on my Power Gear and it did some weird things.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replys - most people in rv repair shops don't know what to fix, replace or rewire either.
Nor does Fleetwood guy. He says take it to a freightliner dealer. So I called a couple and they were evasive as to knowing what to do or replace.
I was not interested in paying for some high dollar on the job training only to have various items replaced at my expense plus labor and training and still have an inoperative device.
But it is fun reading all the debate about other thoughts and scenarios that are related. Keep posting. I am sure I will read about what the problem is eventually.
fltrker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The engine is supposed to be running before retracting the slides and/or the jacks. I have, at least once, put the coach in gear with the jacks down and did get the warning buzzer. It's been so long though I don't remember if they started to come up on their own or if I had to hit the retract button to get them up. I had no further issue with the air bags as a result.

The bags will start to inflate if not before the jacks are retracted, at least simultaneously. It's hard to tell as it's all automatic, with the touch of one button, and at least seems to happen simultaneously.

As was discussed in an earlier thread, all works best if the air pressure is fully up before retracting the jacks. Shortly after starting the engine I'll boost the idle up to 1k which speeds that up. By the time I've finished retracting all the slides the air is at full pressure.

The chassis moving forward 4 or 5" when the air bags deflate is normal and, apparently, common to the Spartan chassis. It was explained to me by a Spartan rep once but I don't remember the why. It doesn't make sense to me and it does make it a challenge to decide where to put any pads under the jacks, but you do get better at estimating where to put them with some experience.

Are all bags failing to inflate, or just the front air bags?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #13

Air Bags won't inflate

I think I had the same problem. Anyway my air ride bags would not inflate and my ride was on the frame and beating us to death. I called Forest River Class A service manager and he told to stop on a level place and turn the engine off. Deploy the auto-level system until it is level and stops. Retract the auto levelers and go on my way. It worked perfectly.

I was always warned about leaving the auto levelers down...so in my thinking if you push the all retract button once....why not do it twice while my engine is warming up. It made sense to me apparently that is the wrong thing to do. "one push only!!" I have a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 425 Hp diesel, in a class A.

I hope this helps...it worked for me. Now if my ride is not as cushy as I think it should be, when I stop for something I turn the engine off deploy the auto levelers and then retract them....but only once.....and my ride is superb!!
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomara View Post
I think I had the same problem. Anyway my air ride bags would not inflate and my ride was on the frame and beating us to death. I called Forest River Class A service manager and he told to stop on a level place and turn the engine off. Deploy the auto-level system until it is level and stops. Retract the auto levelers and go on my way. It worked perfectly.

I was always warned about leaving the auto levelers down...so in my thinking if you push the all retract button once....why not do it twice while my engine is warming up. It made sense to me apparently that is the wrong thing to do. "one push only!!" I have a Freightliner chassis with a Cummins 425 Hp diesel, in a class A.

I hope this helps...it worked for me. Now if my ride is not as cushy as I think it should be, when I stop for something I turn the engine off deploy the auto levelers and then retract them....but only once.....and my ride is superb!!
I forgot to add after retracting the levelers with the engine off...start the engine and wait until the onboard air compressor fills the tanks and you hear the automatic blow off. After the tanks are filled...everything for me has worked perfectly. Drive away with a superb ride.
pomara is offline   Reply With Quote