RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Air Ride suspension mods

AIR RIDE SUSPENSION QUESTION
I have a Holiday Rambler, 34 DP. It has air ride suspension. I also tow a substantial trailer, it weighs 7,000 lbs.

I often find when pulling into driveways, or anywhere the ground is significantly uneven that I drag the hitch on the ground.

I have often thought how handy it would be when negotiating something like a driveway to be able to lower the front, and or raise the back to keep the hitch off the ground.

I have done some research on the internet but can't seem to find anything handy.

Does anyone know of a way to TEMPORARILY override the factory settings and control each wheel separately, then return the ship to factory settings and automatic control?
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
What you need is the Haldex Dual Ride Height system or a set of casters under the hitch. Here's a previous discussion on the problem.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tai...ll-191695.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #3

I'm sure that you could find a way to overide the height regulator valve but dunno that I'd want to.... ever seen one of them bags let go?
Old 04-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I do that often with the Valid / Powergear air leveling system, but like a previous poster mentioned, it has a computer that over-rides the ride height valves.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You could do some sort of hack of the rear ride height control valves, which maintain a pre-set distance between chassis and road. My last coach had a momentary switch on the dash that would do that, temporarily raising or lower the suspension (had to hold the switch down or it would return to normal rather quickly).

You don't want to drive more than a very short distance like that because the drive shaft angle between engine and tranny is critical and an improper ride height can cause extreme wear on it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

Have the HWH 10 bag system on mine. Have a “Raise” button on mine that Will raise the coach 3 inch’s from travel temporarily to get in and out of driveways ect. Not sure what system you have
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a company in Oregon, called Source Engineering. They sell a valve kit that does exactly what you want. They designed it for Monaco products. It comes with a valve that splices into the rear airline, that overrides the rear ride height valves. It comes with a 12 volt momentary switch that you mount on the dash. It will lift your rear, about 3".

I installed their kit on a Freightliner chassis, something they had never done. I've spoke with Jim, the owner of Source Engineering, and discussed how it could be installed. We collaborated and it worked great.

Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:53 AM   #8

solved

PLEASE ONLY ATTEMPT THESE MODS IF YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO DO SO. AIR ON A RIG LIKE THIS CAN CAUSE MAJOR ISSUES AND IF NOT DONE PROPERLY COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF AIR (BRAKES), OR DANGEROUS CHANGES TO RIDE HEIGHT. IF IN DOUBT FIND AN EXPERT.

I have made some additions to the air suspension. After much research and help from a fellow member.

Attached is a drawing. Rudimentary (I'm no draftsman). But it allows me to raise the rear about 3 inches, and raise the front about 3 inches (independent or at the same time).Or raise the back 3 inches and drop the front 3 inches.

I used safety protected switches on the dash so that they do not deploy accidentally.

Happy to provide more detail if anyone is interested.

I also raised the tongue of the trailer 3 inches offering a total of 8 or 9 additional inches of clearance at the trailer tongue.

I should also note that once I installed a pressure gauge (Can't believe it did not have one) I found the air pressure on the rig was running 70 to 95 PSI. This is too low. Easy fix (after research again) adjusted the governor to 100 PSI cut in and 120 cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air ride schematic-A.png
Views:	7
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	301892  
AirBossdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #9

Awesome!
Since you already did the research...I have one question (so far). The bags are designed to handle 120psi?
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension