Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can get a big bag inbetween the axle and spring, it will help unload the spring and give you a smoother ride. It will help a lot, but won't be perfect.
Hurricane Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:14 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to rccrafters69
What is the cost of 19.5 in alum wheels for ford chassis ?
rccrafters69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:50 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used wheels for an F450-550 10 lug 225mm lug pattern. You can find used ones. Don't forget the caps.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I put front air bags on last year to level the coach side to side. It didn't work. It did take away most of the lean when going around curves and even when turning but no real change in ride smoothness. It never was a bad ride to start with though.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use my bags to level my coach. Why didn't it work?
Old 07-31-2015, 12:48 AM   #20

I read about a possible solution on another thread recently, called the Kelderman System which actually comes with different leaf springs and air bags for the front of your chassis.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/anyon...em-252031.html

Below is a link to a page from the Kelderman site which should interest you.

https://kelderman.com/taxonomy/term/50
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:34 AM   #21

I fixed the lean to the right. A spring repair shop installed another leaf on the right rear. I also discovered that the previous owner had the tires overinflated so I'm going to fix that. I do want the better ride so I'll see how these fixes help then move on from there.
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Ford had the wheels for the F-53 made in Mexico. The specs called for 3 thousands of a inch out of round. Many were way out of round. Changing the rims to aluminum was the best fix. Yes changing those to a aluminum wheels really helped the ride.
There is a recent thread about ride and suspension problems on new F-53's. it all started with the king pins being declared bad. Take a look at this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/loose...ns-248182.html

You all with F-53 chassis might get some insight and help.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oilman51,
I bet your shocks are shot. Check them first. I've got the very same coach '06 four winds Hurricane 30Q. My ride was not as bad as you describe. I bought brand new. I was not pleased with the ride. I added air springs front and rear, controlled from the driver seat, added the aluminum wheels, and new shocks. This made a tremendous difference.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have bags on all four corners. Also added an air compressor and individual controls that allow me to adjust each bag from the driver's seat (Winter project that gave me something to do). Since I can dump air and change air pressures on the fly I do notice some improvement concerning road imperfections but not a "Hey Martha" difference. The big benefit to the bags is leveling the coach for the loading.

What improved the ride the most was doing the CHF front and rear and replacing the original shocks with Koni's. I think if I had to do it over rather than bags I would try SumoSprings and better frame bumpers.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice Sweetbrair. Similar to my setup.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:55 AM   #26

We bought the coach 2 months ago and retired 1 month ago with the idea of seeing the country. The coach has 35000 on it and was in real good shape. There's been a learning curve and we've fixed some things (that goes with buying used). We've enjoyed making it our own. We live in ohio and just got back from New Hampshire, our first big trip. Replacing the shocks may be the next thing. Being able to pick up and go is very romantic. Also avoiding the airport lol. I read the posts here and that's been helpful. We look forward to our next adventure and discovery.
oilman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman51 View Post
I recently bought a 2006 Four Winds Hurricane. It is 30ft long with no slide outs. It has leaf springs. I'd like to improve the ride. When traveling on the highway and hitting a pothole or rough road on the freeway the coach shutters and cabinet doors open. What has been the experience with installing air springs on the ride? I know there have been other posts but was interested in recent experiences. Is the ride vastly improved or is it hype? Thanks
I use the sumo's fit it and forget it....vasty improved ride

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I have bags on all four corners. Also added an air compressor and individual controls that allow me to adjust each bag from the driver's seat (Winter project that gave me something to do). Since I can dump air and change air pressures on the fly I do notice some improvement concerning road imperfections but not a "Hey Martha" difference. The big benefit to the bags is leveling the coach for the loading.

What improved the ride the most was doing the CHF front and rear and replacing the original shocks with Koni's. I think if I had to do it over rather than bags I would try SumoSprings and better frame bumpers.

I used to use air bags... now sumo's well worth the money
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote