Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

Alcan Road Tar Help

Thank you for checking my post! We recently traveled the Alcan highway and have been looking over the coach after the journey. After cleaning the RV I have discovered what I though was bug splatters is actually tar. I have done some searching and found that WD-40 works for some. While this has shown some promise it only removes about 40% of the tar. The remaining 60% seemed to not want to budge. Then, after the WD-40 stopped working I busted out the "goo gone professional". This removed about another 10% of the tar. I do not know what spawn of satin has been hanging out on the front of our coach but it does not want to seem to leave. Other research on the site has yielded results from as far back as 2009. Is there anyone out there that can help me out with this problem? Do you know the secret weapon to vanquish tar? Thanks again!

Chris
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We used to use a mixture of about 50% gasoline and 50% diesel. Put it on and most of the tar should come off quite quickly. Thicker deposits will soak with the diesel.

Also heard a story about GoJo and 3 beers. Take a bottle of creamy GoJo (without pumice) and liberally smear the tar, sit down and drink one beer. After the beer is finished take the GoJo and reapply to the tar giving it a bit of a massage. Drink the other 2 beers and head off to the car wash. The tar should come off. Never tried this one as the gas and diesel worked.

Have also used methyl alcohol to take the tar off.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We used to use a mixture of about 50% gasoline and 50% diesel. Put it on and most of the tar should come off quite quickly. Thicker deposits will soak with the diesel.

Also heard a story about GoJo and 3 beers. Take a bottle of creamy GoJo (without pumice) and liberally smear the tar, sit down and drink one beer. After the beer is finished take the GoJo and reapply to the tar giving it a bit of a massage. Drink the other 2 beers and head off to the car wash. The tar should come off. Never tried this one as the gas and diesel worked.

Have also used methyl alcohol to take the tar off.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I have to decide what beer I want to drink for this project now...
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I said the same thing about the adhesive that was holding on my 3M mask. Tired everything but found that gasoline worked the best to get it to come off. My wife had some puppy training pads, I would soak the pad on the cloth side and then set it on an area before cleaning, this stopped the fast evaporation of the gas. Worked great and didn't hurt the finish.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Another vote for gasoline......wipe some on, wait about a minute or two and then liberally wipe on some more.....the tar will come off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
I think Coca Cola works as well.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 AM   #7

The best I have ever found to disolve any petroleum product/tar or adhesive residue is Avon's Skin So Soft.

Smells much better than gasoline or diesel IMHO.

Also is a handy bug repellent to have on board!