Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Look at the quality of the construction. The Alfa is no where close to a Monaco of any type.
I guess I should add that I looked at a Cornerstone and found "shortcuts" I haven't found in my admittedly more expensive Magna.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #16

Last year I was making a similar search for a motor coach. I ended up buying a Alpine Coach. I have been very happy with my purchase. Regardless of what you pay, you need to have some money budgeted for repairs/upgrades.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #17

Truth about Alfas

I own an Alfa and love it. Most people who bash them haven't owned them. The issue with the siding is NOT delamination. It is blistering caused by moister in the wood paneling which then pops a blister in the gelcoat. So far, nobody has found it to be a structural issue, just cosmetic. Alfas were not the only brand affected by this issue, but they went out of business and never fixed the problem as other manufacturers did. There is a company in Indiana that specializes in replacing the entire siding with new fiberglass for about $13K.

As for a side radiator, there are basically three models of Alfas. The Founder, the SeeYA, and the Gold. Founders are slightly stripped down and started in 2005. The SeeYa was made from 2002 to 2008m and is the middle of the road model. That's what I have and find it very well equipped. The Gold was top of the line and has a few more bells and whistles. Many also have a side radiator. The SeeYa have 330 or 350 hp CATs, and the Golds have 400 hp Cummins.

As others have told you, $35K is a good starting point if you want to invest another $30 and have a great 10 year old DP. Mine is a 2005, looks brand new and has been updated inside and out, with custom paint fo runder $100K. You could can find several good Alfas right now for under $40K and then upgrade as you can afford. Any DP you get for under $50K is going to need work if you care at all what it looks like or everything working.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #18

Hmmm, strange

Well, looking at older DP units offered by PPL in Texas, I came across an older Holiday Rambler (1994). Six headlights! Wow, six headlights.

ETA - they do have a nice-looking 2005 Alfa See-Ya there too. Right in your price range. Oh, and they do negotiate. I was able to knock a few thousand off the purchase price of the unit I bought from their Cleburne location.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #19

I strongly agree with MoonSail. While I have never owned an Alfa I have met folks who do own them and by and large they love them. We have some good friends who just sold an incredibly updated '07 in immaculate condition for around $55K. (They bought a new Dynasty).

Would seem to me it might be difficult to find a good DP under $35 with a slide. But any late 90's Foretravel, Country Coach or Monaco might be had for close to that. Good luck.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #20

My opinion - good riddance.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #21

I just bought a 2007 gas Hoiday Rambler Admiral for 30k and it needed some TLC, tires and batteries, now have about 40k invested. Good luck finding and "good" Diesel
pusher for 35K. I would say SEE YA to that motorhome--you'll probably spend that

much again to get it road ready and reliable.
jackman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
DP choices

Romr,
You may have to raise your $$ budget a bit to get something that’s not going to be constantly costing you. I recently bought my 2001 dynasty for $52k. It had 88k miles on it and taken very good care of. I was told by many, if you get a Monaco coach, get one that was made in Oregon. Once the company sold out, the company back east just put the “Monaco” name on their poorly made motorhome. I would also suggest one w/o the def on it. Country Coach also builds a quality unit.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #23

Look in the Rexhall group here.. Someone was selling a NICE low mileage diesel pusher for a very good price 11,900 or something like that.. Rexhalls are very good.

Although the company did just recently go out of business..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
$11,900 is pretty cheap for anything that’s not going to be a money pit. I would look very closely at that one
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 AM   #25

If you don't mind going back to the 90s I think you can get a good DP for your $35K budget. For example, here's a nice 40' Foretravel 1996 U-295. If he hasn't sold it, he will take $20K for it. I'm a fan of old Foretravels and frequent the www.foreforums.com forum. If you are interested in that brand, there is a classified section on the forum which usually has several rigs for sale. Good luck with your search.

jor
joraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:06 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraz View Post
If you don't mind going back to the 90s I think you can get a good DP for your $35K budget. For example, here's a nice 40' Foretravel 1996 U-295. If he hasn't sold it, he will take $20K for it. I'm a fan of old Foretravels and frequent the www.foreforums.com forum. If you are interested in that brand, there is a classified section on the forum which usually has several rigs for sale. Good luck with your search.

jor

I couldn’t find the classifieds on foreforums.com do you have a direct link?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #27

do you have a direct link?

Try this. You might have to register. I'll send you a PM.
jor
joraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #28

I have an AFA GOLD 2007. I was a builder for 25 yrs. I built many homes with both custom and prebuilt cabinets.. in no way does the particle board fail its just that people with more money can say "custom" the looks of some prebuilts can look cheap and are. but I have never seen 1/2" boards in cabinet sides. and high density particle board does not fail in any proper install. they still have solid wood face and doors. heck I've seen many customs with particle backs and interior sides.
now the blisters are not on every unit for sure. the ceiling height is 7'6" show another with that feature. I can stand straight up in our slide out. im 5'11'. the bottomd of the bays are thicker and better insulated than many. the bay doors are evevnf 2.5" thick. here is a brochure and find another one like the gold, maybe but not ceiling height. and very well priced because others tell these things. https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...a_See%20Ya.pdf the IFS in front of Gold model is second to none and options not standard on anything price compared.