Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Alignment

Should a new MH get a front end aligment? When the chassis is delivered to the MH factory it was probably aligned when built. But after the MH is installed does the MH manufacturer realign it or does it even need it.

I just purchased a new 2011 Coachmen Mirada and it is running fine. But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
Should a new MH get a front end aligment? When the chassis is delivered to the MH factory it was probably aligned when built. But after the MH is installed does the MH manufacturer realign it or does it even need it.

I just purchased a new 2011 Coachmen Mirada and it is running fine. But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt the manufacturer did anything other than put the box on and deliver the rig. So I would say, yes have it aligned, loaded the way it would be when you go on a trip.

I recently had mine done and my before total toe was at .97 (the specified range should be .06-.16).

If you hate paying what "these tires" cost, it is worth the investment.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #3

Monaco aligns them all before they roll out the door and I am sure all others are also. Mine has never been aligned and it is perfect with no unusual tire wear. If you take it out on a flat highway with no crown then it should not pull one side to another. If you are in the left lane it will pull a little to the left and if in the right lane a little to the right. There is no real camber adjustment without having to bend the whole axle so it is not normally done. Caster is done normally by shims and is done initially at the factory. The only real one that goes bad on a occasions is the Toe In and that is set at the factor and if no tire wear shows then it is OK. If the tires shake at 45-55 mph then that is wheel balancing and NOT alignment.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Monaco aligns them all before they roll out the door and I am sure all others are also. Mine has never been aligned and it is perfect with no unusual tire wear. If you take it out on a flat highway with no crown then it should not pull one side to another. If you are in the left lane it will pull a little to the left and if in the right lane a little to the right. There is no real camber adjustment without having to bend the whole axle so it is not normally done. Caster is done normally by shims and is done initially at the factory. The only real one that goes bad on a occasions is the Toe In and that is set at the factor and if no tire wear shows then it is OK. If the tires shake at 45-55 mph then that is wheel balancing and NOT alignment.
What Mike said.

If it handles differently than what Mike's description is above, have it aligned. Cheap insurance for both handling characteristics, and tire and driver wear.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we purchased our first Tiffin Allegro Open Road (Workhorse chassis) we were told to load it up the way we planned on driving it and take it in for an alignment and Tiffin paid for it. Since then I take it in annually to have the alignment checked and realigned if necessary. It might not need it but it makes me feel better and it doesn't cost as much as a tire.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely. Best advise I ever got was to have my motorhome aligned. Front tires were towed in badly enough to wear one out early and cause some minor wear on the other.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for the replies. I'll be taking a 200 mile round trip next week and will pay careful attention to the handling. If I have any feelings of uncertainty I'll get it aligned.

As Don said.
Cheap insurance for both handling characteristics, and tire and driver wear.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

alignment

Just a word-for thought-F.L. sells chassis to many body builders and the unit is NOT in alignment --you are best advised to find a dealer w/hunter alignment equipment [and a mechanic that can use it] --load it up they you will drive it and have it done - or pay for lots of tires + live w/poor handling
Bob Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Monaco came with a coupon, or something like that, indicating that I had a free alignment coming in the first year. Since the coach handled quite well I decided I didn't need an alignment. Bad decision. I had to replace my two front tires at about 50,000 due to alignment.
I suggest you get the coach loaded up to what you will be usually carrying and have it aligned.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote