Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 09:45 PM   #1

All 6 off the ground while in an RV park, huh?

Hey gang,
We're up here in Williams AZ at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park for a few day's 'till we move on. We've been to this RV park several times and, for the most part, it's pretty much always full, almost no matter what the season is. Well, the CEO and I were taking our usual stroll while walking the killer Schnauzer *Sophie*. We both noticed it at the same time, what in the world is this person thinking. In front of us was/is a gas coach, with all 6 tires and wheels no less than around 2-3" off the ground!!!

And, even she said, "and on those *skinny* little jacks too"! If any of you have ever camped/stayed here, there's around maybe 150-200 sites (heck, I don't know, A BUNCH!) and for the most part, they're all at about the same tilt. And that tilt ain't very much. My auto leveling system on our '04 Itasca Horizon with the CAT C-7 330HP, will handle getting that coach dead level without issue and it doesn't have all that much range to work with.

But, this person, in his/her gas coach, on a site that is again, at the same degree of *unlevelness* (is that a word?) as ours and the rest of the sites here, has his/her coach with all 6 off the ground. Now, it's not my coach and far be it from me to tell anyone how to operate their coach, it's theirs. I've not had a chance to maybe catch this person outside their coach and maybe as nonchalantly as possible, strike up a conversation and maybe *ease* into a question pertaining to the leveling practice he/she uses.

Who knows? Maybe it's their first coach and first time out and they just don't know better. Maybe they had to do SOMETHING mechanical with it that required it to be sitting like that. Oh well, it's theirs, maybe they've been doing things this way since it was new, again, who knows. To me, gas coaches already ride high. And they don't drop like most diesels do when prepping for leveling operations. So, lifting one EVEN HIGHER for what at least appears to not really accomplish anything, is beyond me.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #2

All 6 tires off of the ground!?!? Yikes! That would absolutely scare me.

Having two off of the ground is quite enough for me.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #3

Go knock on their door and ask if they need any assistant
When they ask WHY
Tell them you noticed ALL the tires off the ground and thought they had a mechanical issue

The time it took too post on here you could have spent in conversation with the folks
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
They probably aren't even aware. Although, it must be a doozy of a leap to get off the bottom step if they're that far off the ground. Only once did we have the the front PS tire off the ground by a couple inches on our Bounder. Front jacks were pretty much fully extended. I had to have the step stool just to get down off the bottom step even when they were fully deployed.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a friend with a 32 foot Mirada. Every time he levels his rig, he just uses the auto level. Every time he levels at least one tire is off the ground! The others are close also by the looks of the suspension.

I have tried to explain that his system isn't working right, but he just won't listen.

His wife even complains about the long reach up to the first step. From the looks of the suspension, he probably could be 4 to 5 inches lower.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:05 PM   #6

Could be an LCI system ; a friends new 5 er with the LCI , 6 point , went to max down on left side and max up on the other . ( on a level site) RS tires a foot off the ground. Full system reboot required , just to get it down , manual override wouldn't lower the jacks.

" To error is human .. it take a computer to really screw things up ! "
Old 11-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Go knock on their door and ask if they need any assistant
When they ask WHY
Tell them you noticed ALL the tires off the ground and thought they had a mechanical issue

The time it took too post on here you could have spent in conversation with the folks
Well Sir,
First off, it took me about 3-4 minutes to post the original post. I actually use MORE THAN ONE FINGER to type! And second, the last few times we've either drove by or walked by their site, there's been no car/truck/toad around anywhere to be found and no lights on and no appearance of folks walking around. They're probably like a lot of RV'rs in this park, just use it as a base and do a lot of exploring, sight seeing, GRAND CANYON visiting, side-by-side tearing up all the trails, and a lot more and reappear at night when we're in for the night.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:19 AM   #8

A picture would have been nice
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #9

Maybe they wanted to keep the scorpions from climbing up their tires, and felt the jacks would be more challenging for them?
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
A picture would have been nice
^^^^ This.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
This is certainly not a good position for them to be in. And none of us want to see them damage their coach by having it in what we all agree with is a perilous position.

My thoughts would go to leaving a note on the door suggesting that the position the coach is in is not recommended.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #12

OK, I'm going to buck the trend here. We now have the Jack police along with the Weight police? I agree that this may not be the best way to level your RV, but what's the real harm? He didn't have instructions, so he's flying blind? He had instructions and never bothered to read them, so he has an education problem? He knows what "THE BOOKS" say and has chosen to ignore them for whatever reason? Here again, what's the harm? If he wants to do his leveling that way, it's his choice. If you feel you must run an educational program for the man, fine, but don't take it personally if he rejects your advice. Possible damage? OK if there's an earthquake he may bend things up, but there again it's his choice. I can't tell you how many times I've leveled with one or more wheels off the ground for any number of reasons. (over 250,000 RV and tow miles) MY CHOICE, and I don't appreciate "help" from others pointing out my "ERRORS". The Jack police need to follow the Weight police. Worry about your rig and not mine unless my actions materially affect you. Materially, not might or could.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #13

Hey Scott, I have seen gas coaches sitting high up on all 4 sticks and they appear to be the exact same distance on all 4 wheels. Another 1/2 inch and all tires would be in the air. I can not see any reason to raise the entire coach like they do but perhaps they use the auto level system that in my opinion always lifts things much more than needed. And if they are not calibrated then they are worthless. I always wonder how much wobbling goes on when sitting on 4 little metal posts.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #14

Its proof that it can be and is done.

No big deal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park