Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

All Black water tank valves stuck open! Tank is FULL!! Help!

I bought a 38’ 1996 Dutchman (to my knowlledge) camper, hauling it to my house we had three of the four tires blow out one after the other.

It was then that we noticed the black water tank was on the full side. It was stored in the back yard and forgotten about for some time untill a (once)friend called and said his wife and he were homeless and needed a place to stay for a day or two. I thought of the camper.. i told them to not use the toilet in there, to come in the house for relief. 3 months later i had to physicaly remove them and end that friendship.

Upon inspecting all the damage they had done, it was discovered they had been using the toilet despite my warnings and the black tank was so full there wad standing sewage in the actual toilet. I was at a loss as to what to do. So i had a plan to build a temporary septic system beside the drain valve and drain it there and i bought the required parts and hoses to do so, and did just that. When i went to take the cap off the drain to afix the hose, the most god awful stuff started spraying out of the crease behind the cap and i replased it and ran, the smell was making me swoon. After manny hours and waterings i was able to return and notice that all the blade valves were stuck open and will not budge at all. Aparently they always had been since purchased. The primary and secondary both are stuck open and inoperable. I believe im at a horrifying loss here and will not be able to get the cap off and the hose on without this toxic waste spraying and flooding whoever atempts this manover and then will flood the ground with the contense. This isnt acceptable for a wide variety of reasons, but mainly because my shallow well is located 15 feet from the area im talking about....

Anybody have any advice? Im open to anything.. also i need a link to where i can purchase a hasmat suit and rebreather so i dont black out from the fumes if i am to suffer the “spill”.

Thanx for and help in advance!
TDDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm sorry, no good deed goes unpunished…

Have you tried carefully using a hammer to tap the valves closed? You will need to get them both close since black tank sewage would be backing up into the gray tank.

If that doesn't work you might be able to get a portable John Service to pump out through the toilet as much as possible. That still will leave a mess but you might make it more manageable.

If you can get something to pump out the black tank for the toilet it could be helpful to get the RV raised in such away to get as much stuff to move into the black tank. After that if you can raise the wet bay side to force any remaining pool of mock away from the drain. Additionally during the pumpout process if you can add as much water to the gray tank as possible it might dilute the nasty stuff to help with the sickening effect.

Good luck.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #3

i would hire a sewage pump out truck to swing by and pump it out first from the top side,
beaverfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #4

As mentioned, I would get a mobile septic service out to empty your black tank out through the toilet opening.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #5

YEP.......Honey wagon

Septic Tank Service truck. Explain situation

Acquire a large flat container to place under end of dump line
Have honey wagon operator place his hose in container, remove end cap and SUCK up contents

While you still have him there.....flush/drain black tank as much as you can
Also OPEN/Drain/Sick Grey waste tank also

Then replace the waste tank drain valves so they can be closed/opened.....old ones not worth messing with
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:38 PM   #6

Lye works on the ground.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #7

I like the Honey Waggon idea best, but failing that if it was me with this problem, and I had a proper "septic System" already installed 15 feet away, then I would rent a trash pump and suck as much as I could from the tank and pump it into your proper "septic system". Then fill it with water and do it again. And do that again. By now most of the offending stuff is either gone, or diluted. Then if a bucket will fit under the discharge fitting, or maybe a under bed plastic storage container use a kitchen size trash bag, cut a hole in the bottom and place the bag over the cap and remove it. Your hands will stay clean and any liquid will flow through the bag and into the container. Then empty the bucket into your proper "septic system".

Another option would be to build a 15 foot long plastic tarp shoot or slide or trough - whatever you want to call it - to drain the contents allowing it to slide into your proper "septic system".

No matter how you look at it, it will be a messy stinking job.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #8

Does a fan motor home have 6 tires instead of 4?
Old 06-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Does a fan motor home have 6 tires instead of 4?
At 38 feet I'm guessing his 1996 dutchman is a fifth wheel
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
At 38 feet I'm guessing his 1996 dutchman is a fifth wheel
Oh okay, I thought this was posted in the class a Motorhome section.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would capture all the black tank waste - then put it brown paper bags (it may require a lot of bags) and then set those full bags on the doorstep of your (previous) friends new residence, then set on fire and knock on door ...
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

Seeing a pic of your connection area may be of help. What I am thinking about is using a 55 gallon plastic barrel and the septic tank truck. If you can direct the stuff into the plastic barrel and that will put it into a confined place for it to be recovered.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I would capture all the black tank waste - then put it brown paper bags (it may require a lot of bags) and then set those full bags on the doorstep of your (previous) friends new residence, then set on fire and knock on door ...
Boy that sure brought back memories from a long time ago!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I like the Honey Waggon idea best, but failing that if it was me with this problem, and I had a proper "septic System" already installed 15 feet away, then I would rent a trash pump and suck as much as I could from the tank and pump it into your proper "septic system". Then fill it with water and do it again. And do that again. By now most of the offending stuff is either gone, or diluted. Then if a bucket will fit under the discharge fitting, or maybe a under bed plastic storage container use a kitchen size trash bag, cut a hole in the bottom and place the bag over the cap and remove it. Your hands will stay clean and any liquid will flow through the bag and into the container. Then empty the bucket into your proper "septic system".

Another option would be to build a 15 foot long plastic tarp shoot or slide or trough - whatever you want to call it - to drain the contents allowing it to slide into your proper "septic system".

No matter how you look at it, it will be a messy stinking job.
He said his shallow well was 15 feet away not his proper septic system.

As I read this post by the OP...I kept waiting for the "just kidding" remark that never came. This reads more like a Robin Williams script for the movie RV.

Tags
tank, valve, water