Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
if you run out of gasoline or propane, how will you power yours???? All electric coaches, use electricity, diesel, SOLAR, and have a generator. I would qualify that as different power supply options. Your idea of Armageddon will affect you the same way it affects an all-electric coach. More than likely, someone with solar will outlast you during a crisis.
Respectfully, you really should read more carefully and not assume what I didn't say. I was merely answering the OP's question. Doesn't have to be Armageddon at all as I said, I'm not a doomsdayer by any means. I didn't go into and list everything I carry but I did say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
Get caught in an situation like last winter in Texas, or rolling blackouts in the west, fires that shut off vast areas of power, a freak snow/ice/wind storm in mid America, power grid down or fuel distribution pipeline like Colonial Pipeline that got hacked on the east coast this past spring, or CG's running lean because of supplying power to over crowded visitors and you'll wish you had propane or several other power solutions as alternatives
These types of senario's happen all the time and for me personally, I don't see them improving in the near future.
I have many types of alternative power sources with us all the time including solar. So no they won't out last me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 10:59 AM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Again....what happens when your coach runs out of fuel, either in an ice storm or fire out west???
Old 01-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
All electric that has been defined by other replies here is fine as long as you have a reliable place to plug into. Get caught in an situation like last winter in Texas, or rolling blackouts in the west, fires that shut off vast areas of power, a freak snow/ice/wind storm in mid America, power grid down or fuel distribution pipeline like Colonial Pipeline that got hacked on the east coast this past spring, or CG's running lean because of supplying power to over crowded visitors and you'll wish you had propane or several other power solutions as alternatives. I'm not a doomsdayer by any means, but I'm not optimistic with reliable, all electric power going forward in our countries future living in an RV. To many warning signs on so many fronts on my radar.

Having all the luxuries that MH's and RV's offer these days is nice when support systems are working and are available. But for me, these support systems are becoming more fragile, unpredictable, political forces at work, and less dependable everyday. You may not see it blatantly right now to call it a urgent warning sign, but it's creeping up on us ever so slowly. I personally think down the road in the not so distant future, folks who RV—and especially FTer's that travel constantly—that have many alternate ways of powering their RV will be way ahead of the curve.

There's no way I would have an all electric MH or any RV for that matter that isn't equipped with several different power supply options. We all need reliable power to live. It's just a fact IMO. Those that plan accordingly will be better off.
I think your post is very thoughtful. I experienced what your describe when the Northridge earthquake hit in the early 90's. We had no power, water or heat in the house, but I had an Alfa trailer(wish I still had it) with full water and propane and a genny. My neighbors had to sleep in their cars. So, it would be nice to have the best of both worlds if that's possible. I would agree that we are already seeing more distressing events. If you need to abandon your home, you just want to kiss and hug your RV.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:24 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an all electric coach, boondocked in the desert at Quartzsite for 30 days straight. Running the AquaHot and generator when needed I used 31 gallons of diesel which included getting from the fuel station to the camp site and back. I do have 4 8D AGM batteries and 400 watts of solar.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:48 PM   #33

well do not forget that campground offer 30 or 50 amp if you have all electric you will have to turn mitsome accesory off too be able too not go over the 50 amp li
Old 01-23-2022, 02:54 PM   #34

All electric is the best decision I ever made with RVing. I am on my second coach all electric and have enjoyed every moment with my coaches!
Old 01-23-2022, 02:57 PM   #35

My generator has always been there when I have needed it when not plugged in. I have been in all types of weather no issues.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
I've been kicking the tires on some of the higher end class A's, and the salesmen talk up the all electric rigs. After RV'ing for 40 years I don't have any issue with propane. I do understand it could be safer without it. Anybody have an all electric rig? Or is this just an experiment or fad that will fade away. Any and all viewpoints much appreciated. Thanks
Propane is very safe. Most RV fires are electric caused.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:53 PM   #37

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We do,a lot of what I call "touring". We might be out for a few weeks, moving from destination to destination every few days. We spend a lot of nights in WalMarts and truck stops, purely as a place to overnight before getting back on the road. During the day we're out exploring jn the Jeep or on the highway in the MH. About once a week, we stop at a campground to empty/fill tanks and do a load of laundry, even though we have laundry facilities on board. For us, not having to worry about plugging in or running the generator for hours to top off the batteries is one less worry. I think it comes down to whether you RV for the journey or for the destination.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Klink View Post
Thank you all. I'm learning a lot. My wife doesn't like boondocking, so that's a point in electrics favor. All the experience you guys have really helps. Do all electric rigs need more batteries? I for sure don't want to spend thousands on solar upgrades. If it requires lithium batteries I'm good for that.
If you couple the next RV electric or not w the latest F150 which has the power on board generator built in already it is a game changer for RV life.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:00 PM   #39

Quote:
It's definitely not a fad and is probably the future of larger RV's. Keep in mind, that an all-electric coach is kind of an inaccurate description. An all-electric RV uses diesel to heat the coach and hot water, so it's just replacing propane with diesel. What you lose are the stove/oven and refer that can run on propane.

Those who camp in the wilderness off the grid will argue that it's too hard to run everything on electricity and they're probably correct. There are also many who install large solar systems and can boondock with little to no generator use.

It really boils down to how you like to camp. If you like spending all your time in the deep woods with hookups, don't get an all-electric coach. If you travel like most, using RV parks for 80% - 90% of their stays, all electric is a nice way to go.

Our all-electric coach has UNLIMITED hot water and heated floors. At night the coach is silent, no heaters blasting every five minutes or tripping over electric heaters sitting around the coach. For US, all electric is the only way to go.
Funny how people think “most” people must be like them. I almost never camp where there are power hook ups. And the thousands I see camping don’t have power where I see them.

Count the Nat Forest, Nat Park, and BLM CGs and you’ll get an idea what most actual campers do.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:03 PM   #40

Even with our solar and generator, we boon dock and like our combo propane/electric frig and gas stove/oven. However, when we are plugged in, we use all electric. So I guess we are hybrid for now: Tiffin Allegro Open Road gas
Old 01-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #41

We have a Newmar Class A and I like all-electric. You don't have to carry and refill a propane tank. Everything works fine, although I do prefer cooking over a flame rather than an electric stove. Propane refrigerators are for the birds.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:35 PM   #42

It's all how you camp

Quote:
It's definitely not a fad and is probably the future of larger RV's. Keep in mind, that an all-electric coach is kind of an inaccurate description. An all-electric RV uses diesel to heat the coach and hot water, so it's just replacing propane with diesel. What you lose are the stove/oven and refer that can run on propane.

Those who camp in the wilderness off the grid will argue that it's too hard to run everything on electricity and they're probably correct. There are also many who install large solar systems and can boondock with little to no generator use.

It really boils down to how you like to camp. If you like spending all your time in the deep woods with hookups, don't get an all-electric coach. If you travel like most, using RV parks for 80% - 90% of their stays, all electric is a nice way to go.

Our all-electric coach has UNLIMITED hot water and heated floors. At night the coach is silent, no heaters blasting every five minutes or tripping over electric heaters sitting around the coach. For US, all electric is the only way to go.
I like to dry camp a lot Maybe 50 percent Even though i have a substantial solar setup i still use LP for heating chores and i HATE cooking on electric

If you're resort to resort to resort electric Is fine and is probably the future but for now i agree your camping style dictates your fuel choices
Closed Thread

Tags
class a, electric