Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

All electric Class A. Good idea or not?

I've been kicking the tires on some of the higher end class A's, and the salesmen talk up the all electric rigs. After RV'ing for 40 years I don't have any issue with propane. I do understand it could be safer without it. Anybody have an all electric rig? Or is this just an experiment or fad that will fade away. Any and all viewpoints much appreciated. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #2

For 18 years we camped plugged in with our fifth wheel trailer..............so all electric is fine by me. I considered an all electric motorhome and was OK.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:30 PM   #3

All electric is fine until you're stuck in a repair shop parking lot for 12 days waiting for parts. That settled any curiosity I had about all electric.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:04 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's definitely not a fad and is probably the future of larger RV's. Keep in mind, that an all-electric coach is kind of an inaccurate description. An all-electric RV uses diesel to heat the coach and hot water, so it's just replacing propane with diesel. What you lose are the stove/oven and refer that can run on propane.

Those who camp in the wilderness off the grid will argue that it's too hard to run everything on electricity and they're probably correct. There are also many who install large solar systems and can boondock with little to no generator use.

It really boils down to how you like to camp. If you like spending all your time in the deep woods with hookups, don't get an all-electric coach. If you travel like most, using RV parks for 80% - 90% of their stays, all electric is a nice way to go.

Our all-electric coach has UNLIMITED hot water and heated floors. At night the coach is silent, no heaters blasting every five minutes or tripping over electric heaters sitting around the coach. For US, all electric is the only way to go.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My first 3 Class A's were LP heat, hot water, stove and refrigerator on 2 of them. My current coach is all electric with Aqua Hot for heat and hot water. I like my current set-up way better. My heat is quieter, I never run out of hot water and my beer is ice cold. The induction cook top is fast and puts out way less heat for my a/c's to deal with.
I've went 6 days without hook-ups and if I could dump and fill the fresh water, I could boondock much longer.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Even tho Our coach only had propane for the fridge, cooktop, and a quick connect at the tank for the BBQ, We 86'd the propane/electric fridge for the Samsung 18 residential [love it!]
Then discovered that the convection oven doesn't do morning biscuits worth a damn.. Pulled the cooktop out and installed a cooktop & gas oven..
Now the only things still Propane is the cooktop and BBQ. So I guess we are a semi-all electric. [I Ain't giving up the residential fridge, It Does not care if the coach isn't perfectly level,[ Even when traveling the Rockies and going up and down 7% grades for miles on end ]
Frozen foods stay Frozen, Beer is cold and the milk doesn't go "blinkie" before it's time ]
If I have to run the generator an extra 3 or 4 hours a day ... So Be It!
Happy Trails
Old 01-16-2022, 08:41 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
All electric is fine until you're stuck in a repair shop parking lot for 12 days waiting for parts. That settled any curiosity I had about all electric.
Been there Done that for 3 weeks replacing the radiator.. ran the gennie, had no issues. Even called a turd herder to pump out the black & gray tank. [ran a water hose to the building for filling the fresh tank]
Used the toad to see the sights
Old 01-17-2022, 07:23 AM   #8

Love our all electric Tiffin RED 37BA. Did not want to have to worry about filling propane, love the Aquahot, and the flat cooktop.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:33 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
All electric coaches have been around for several years. We really like ours. One less thing to think about.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #10

Actually, two very different directions here:

If you rarely boondock/are on shore power the vast majority of the time, all electric is fine.

If you do bookdock, AND (yes AND) substantially upgrade your electrical system, all electric is fine. You can spend thousands of $$ upgrading to Li batteries, new inverter/charger, lots of solar, DC to DC converter for alternator output, etc. But certainly within the capability of today's technology.

Another factor here is how much cooking you do in the RV. Electric stoves use a lot of amp-hrs! Upgrade ($$) to induction and it uses less.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's here to stay and cheaper for the manufactures to make.

Two reasons I like the duel fuel and switch from electric and use propane
1) we like cooking wit gas.
2) a few times a trip we will stay at places with no electric.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #12
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
It's here to stay and cheaper for the manufactures to make.

Two reasons I like the duel fuel and switch from electric and use propane
1) we like cooking wit gas.
2) a few times a trip we will stay at places with no electric.
With 5 8d AGMs, solar and 2 3kw inverters I don't believe it is cheaper for the manufactures to make. My limit is tanks. As for cooking with gas, you've got me there!
Old 01-17-2022, 08:34 AM   #13

If you are always plugged into 50 Amps not a bad way to go, but if you only have 30 Amps available you have to juggle appliances. Some places you cannot run a generator. I like the backup of propane.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
...My current coach is all electric with Aqua Hot for heat and hot water. I like my current set-up way better. My heat is quieter, I never run out of hot water and my beer is ice cold. The induction cook top is fast and puts out way less heat for my a/c's to deal with...
Same here...BTDT with propane....no more!
Closed Thread

Tags
class a, electric