Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 05:45 AM   #15

What is not to like about all electric is simple. No oven = no cookies. No gas stove = no cooked food with either of us cooks. We are not impressed with induction and do not like convection cookers. We do like to cook.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 AM   #16

on the surface, I love the idea of an 'all electric' coach.... no more filling propane, BUT...

I realize that in over 2 years of full-timing and travel, we have yet to fill our propane tank even once. So, maybe the filling of propane is not as big of a deal for us because it's so infrequent. We have used our furnace sparingly, with mostly electric heaters for cold weather, and use the cooktop from time-to-time for cooking, though mostly the microwave and convection oven.

I think that the modern 'all electric' option coaches are great for those that either are in rv parks with full service, or are parked in areas where running the generator 24/7 is ok. Many, if not most, of the touring Prevost buses NEVER turn their generators off, and probably don't want to have to find a place to fill any propane since they drive mostly at night - the 'all electric' is certainly a fantastic option for them.

For most of us, though, propane provides a reliable, economical, and easy-to-use heating source. I think that the fact that you can't just pull up to a gas station and fill up your propane tank is part of the 'negative' side of the equation.

As far as Residential Refrigerators vs. Propane/Electric models goes, the residential models give you MUCH more room, use a lot less energy than you might think, still work fine even when not level, and can handle the movement of the coach just like the rv models do.

If you are off-grid a lot, then propane gives you many options for power without shore power, generator, or solar.
If you mostly 'plugged-in', then propane is not nearly as important or needed.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We don't boondock often, but on those occasions when we have, our all-electric has not been a problem.

Generator use will depend on your needs and circumstances. If it's 100 degrees outside you'll need to run the generator 24/7 to run the A/C. If A/C is not needed you'll probably only need 2 to 4 hours of generator use per day. We'll run the generator for cooking breakfast, dinner and at the same time will be charging the house (8) batteries.

We've found that the fridge is not the big user of power, but the TVs will use more than I expected. The Aquahot in our old coach, or the Oasis in our current one doesn't use much power if set to burn diesel (or propane) and does a great job of heating both the coach and water.

We've had a couple of very cold Januarys here in Florida since we retired and started full timing. Those with propane furnaces are looking for a refill every week or two (unless they are using two or three space heaters - now those use a lot of power). We will never be concerned about running out of diesel, even if we didn't have a chance to top off all winter.

If like a few of our members I was looking to be off the grid as much as possible I might spend more time thinking about which would be best for us, all electric or propane heat, fridge and cooking, but on the face of it I'm not convinced that going back to propane would be beneficial. We do have a 5lb (one gallon) propane tank we carry with us for use with our small gas grill.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:31 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What is not to like about all electric is simple. No oven = no cookies. No gas stove = no cooked food with either of us cooks. We are not impressed with induction and do not like convection cookers. We do like to cook.
Have had a convection oven at home the last 15 years and make plenty of cookies that taste great. We do the same in the RV The RV is nothing different than a electric oven with a fan to eliminate hot spots. Or it can be a microwave It does require some temp and time adjustments to recipes however because of the fan blowing around the hot air . Perhaps it's because we already moved to convection years ago? We hated the Gas ovens in RV's, they are junk .. hot spots and total lack of temp control
As far as A good induction range with the proper pans it provides instant (I believe it boils water faster than gas) exact temp control, no burning the bottom on sauces. It's all in what you get used to I guess.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfindrVan View Post
So everyone is in agreement that All Electric is NOT actually All Electric?
Guess I'm missing something. We have no propane, everything is powered by AC. To me that's ''all electric.'' Unless really cold, that includes the Aqua Hot.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Guess I'm missing something. We have no propane, everything is powered by AC. To me that's ''all electric.'' Unless really cold, that includes the Aqua Hot.
Maybe he is poking in the direction of the Diesel fired heating systems
Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Maybe he is poking in the direction of the Diesel fired heating systems
Yep, that's it exactly...not poking...or are there any RV's that are actually "All Electric"?

If the RV's heat AND hot water is coming from an Oasis, Aquahot or similar Diesel fired boiler device, how is that an All Electric coach?

And, do these devices generally have an electric booster element that can provide the maximum capacity heat and hot water on electric? The dealers here said "no"...that Diesel is always required for the high demand situations.

Plus, I'll ask again...do these heat devices have an option for forced air heat, or only radiant floor? Radient floor generally requires the temp to be maintained vs the more efficient setting the temp cooler while sleeping. And what about the complaints here about sludge in the Aquahot?

If Diesel is carrying the majority of the load for the heat, why call it All Electric?

Thanks
Old 12-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yep, that's it exactly...not poking...or are there any RV's that are actually "All Electric"?

If the RV's heat AND hot water is coming from an Oasis, Aquahot or similar Diesel fired boiler device, how is that an All Electric coach?

And, do these devices have an electric booster element that can provide the maximum capacity heat and hot water on electric? The dealers here said "no"...that Diesel is always required for the high demand situations.

Plus, I'll ask again...do these heat devices have an option for forced air heat, or only radiant floor? Radient floor generally requires the temp to be maintained vs the more efficient setting the temp cooler while sleeping. And what about the complaints here about sludge in the Aquahot?

If Diesel is carrying the majority of the load for the heat, why call it All Electric?

Thanks
To put this very simply, when the manufacture's eliminated the propane tank on certain models..........and went with electric items that use to operate on propane........they dubbed them "All Electric".........
I believe you can understand this, maybe
Old 12-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

And, do these devices generally have an electric booster element that can provide the maximum capacity heat and hot water on electric? The dealers here said "no"...that Diesel is always required for the high demand situations.

Thanks
Because "all electric" is easier to say, catchier, and quick to understand than "furnace, water heater, or aquahot runs on fuel, kitchen appliances on eletctric".
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
....they dubbed them "All Electric".........
I believe you can understand this, maybe
I understand. But, you must admit that the term All Electric is just not accurate.

We lived in an All Electric apartment long ago. Was supposed to be the "latest thing."
It truly used no gas. Even the range, heat, and clothes dryer were 240VAC units.
It was NOT the best.

So, I'm glad to read that it is a misnomer in these RV's. Electricity is by far not the best way to produce heat for any purpose...IMHO.
The funny bit here, is how it is almost denied by owners. I say, why not be PROUD of your Diesel Boiler

Thanks
Old 12-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #25

You win, it's not *really* all electric. It is more convenient, works better, more comfortable, and safer. I guess that's why so many mid to high end coaches are trending toward this "fad" for the last five years.

Not sure how folks are getting away with filling their propane once a year or whatever? I can see that if you only use it for cooking and are always plugged in, but otherwise I don't get it.

And no, no loud forced air cycling constantly, and no 90 degree bedroom while the salon is 60. The real answer to the forced air question is that in addition to the heated floor there are heat exchangers located throughout the coach that quietly blow warm air into the coach by zone, just like residential hydronic systems. The temperature is easy to control by zone, so the coach has an even comfortable temperature. BTW, if we are plugged in, we do have the electric option to heat the hydronic, so no diesel used.

Just like your tank style water heater, there is an electric element that will make enough hot water for general use, but not enough for a long shower. On the other hand, unlike a typical rv tank style heater, the AH will make endless hot water with no lag. A busload of people could take showers one after the other if so desired. In addition, while we are on the road, the heat exchanger from the motor keeps the water hot so we don't even turn it on until we arrive. BTW, diesel has roughly twice the volumetric efficiency of propane, so uses a bunch less fuel to make the same amount of heat.

As pointed out, cooking with induction and convection is a matter of getting used to it, just like the move to gas stoves from wood at the turn of the century. In a lot of ways it is better. It is more even and faster, for example.

I use a GMG Davy Crockett for grilling. Have one at home, one at the vacation house, and one in the motorhome. Awesome!

So we don't care what it's called if it's better
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
You win, it's not *really* all electric.

So we don't care what it's called if it's better
Thank you for the thorough reply. I appreciate that. I was just seeking information...not a contest.

And good to know that the local dealers weren't lying to move less popular DP's.

I'll reserve judgement on "better" or safer, since propane and natural gas are still the primary choice for fixed home heating. Diesel would be more akin to fuel oil common 100 years ago. And, yes a 100 lb tank can last a LONG time.
But for a Diesel power RV, obviously a single fuel would be preferable.

However, I will add that forced air does not need to be noisy...nor does the system need to be unbalenced. That's why vent registers are made with flapper doors. With adjustment of just 2 flappers, our big ol' TT has a very balanced winter temp.

Thanks again.

P.S. This is not just academic...we would like move from truck/TT to get into a Class A at some point.
P.P.S. No comments about "sludge in the Aquahot"
Old 12-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well, you can run in all electric mode. The hydronic systems electric element / elements can provide enough for heating and minor hot water use. So in that case it CAN be "all electric. " needing nothing but electric for everything ...in cold , below freezing, weather or long or multiple showers it needs the fuel burner.
miss named ? Maybe but how would one market it simply to the average Joe customer?
One thing I do notice , people who have these coaches love them! people who don't tend to find reasons why they won't work for them .... many are imagined reasons based on misunderstandings
Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #28

Really? Twenty six posts about what the term "all electric" means?
No one is trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes by calling a coach "all electric" It is an industry standard terminology: nothing more and nothing less.
Twenty seven post now.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote