Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

All Electric Coach Quandary

Very confused...

I have read about this trend toward an "All Electric Motorhome" (usually riding on a Diesel Pusher chassis)

Seems the oven is the first thing removed for a convection microwave, the fridge is replaced with some small apartment style, and the gas cooktop is changed to an induction unit.

What are they doing for heat? I've read that heat pumps only work efficiently to about 40 degrees.

I have yet to see a REAL All Electric Coach in-person, because the dealers near me are using this title "All Electric RV" to show RV's with the heat and hot water provided by a Diesel-fired boiler unit (branded with names like Aquahot, etc.) running in one of the bins

IMHO, Propane is inexpensive, clean burning (like you can cook with it inside) and well established in the marketplace. We have had Propane in every self contained RV we ever used. And, we much prefer a fixed home with gas appliances, over an all electric home.

Is the title "All Electric" actually a misrepresentation of an RV that just has no Propane...just replaced with a Diesel boiler - or are there actually All Electric units out there?

And finally...why All Electric? Is this just for the RV Resort crowd, going from full-hook-up to full hook-up stops?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfindrVan View Post
Very confused...

I have read about this trend toward an "All Electric Motorhome" (usually riding on a Diesel Pusher chassis)

Seems the oven is the first thing removed for a convection microwave, the fridge is replaced with some small apartment style, We have a full sized residential fridge. and the gas cooktop is changed to an induction unit Or electric.

What are they doing for heat? I've read that heat pumps only work efficiently to about 40 degrees. True.

I have yet to see a REAL All Electric Coach in-person, because the dealers near me are using this title "All Electric RV" to show RV's with the heat and hot water provided by a Diesel-fired boiler unit (branded with names like Aquahot, etc.) running in one of the bins No Propane tank so no loss of space with Aqua-hot.

IMHO, Propane is inexpensive, clean burning (like you can cook with it inside) and well established in the marketplace. We have had Propane in every self contained RV we ever used. And, we much prefer a fixed home with gas appliances, over an all electric home.

Is the title "All Electric" actually a misrepresentation of an RV that just has no Propane...just replaced with a Diesel boiler - or are there actually All Electric units out there?

And finally...why All Electric? Is this just for the RV Resort crowd, going from full-hook-up to full hook-up stops?

Thanks
With a unit like your's getting propane probably not much of an issue. 45' MH not quite so much. Also some tunnels in east don't allow propane tanks to go through

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F392298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All electric means just that...residential refer, induction cooktop, microwave/convection oven and Aqua Hot for hot water and heat. The AH is much better than the propane system. It works on electric or a diesel burner. Try it, you'll love it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #4

You're correct in that all electric is not meant for dry camping/boondocking but for RV parks. Some folks do boondock but you'd have to have a lot of solar and many batteries or use the generator a lot. It's not for everyone, for sure.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hydronic heat instead of propane for true all electric. 12 volt blowers and pumps diesel ( propane) or electric boiler. Nothing like it. Expensive to fix but a propane furnace puts a lot of moisture in the air hydronic doesn't. I won't have another coach without it.
Re boondocking , yes it is more of a challenge but all electric comes with increases in the number of batteries
The big drain is the fridge.
Newer fridges sip power . the power drain of a samsung (typical ) 18 cu fridge is listed as 1.3? That's 12-15 Amps 12volt, an hour average ..at least From my memory. Amps average same as about a 100 watt light bulb. Not as big a deal as some would think.bonus is almost 0 fire danger.
Lastly ,are the number of people buying a large gas or especially diesel Motorhome boondocking often? Not really. Face it, those who want to , will put on 800+watts of solar or just run the generator 3 hours a day 2 in the am and 1 before bed and be happy.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
Hydronic heat instead of propane for true all electric. 12 volt blowers and pumps diesel ( propane) or electric boiler. Nothing like it. Expensive to fix but a propane furnace puts a lot of moisture in the air hydronic doesn't. I won't have another coach without it.

Lastly , the number of people buying a large gas or especially diesel boondocking often? Not really. Face it, those who want to , will put on 800+watts of solar or just run the generator 3 hours a day 2 in the am and 1 before bed and be happy.
Some hydronic heating units are propane.
I only have 400 watts of solar but don't boondock much, maybe WallyDocking for a couple nights on the way to a destination and that's it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #7

The "ALL ELECTRIC" thing is the latest fad and everyone's doing it. For the most part, those who go from luxury park to luxury park are pleased with it as they can park the coach for a month or more and not have to take it out for propane or make arrangements for a portable delivery. For those of us who like to boondock or for those who really like to cook, we're just SOL.

We had a 40' 2008 Allegro Bus with all the gas heat and hot water, LP fridge (until I changed it out) and the microwave. When we started seriously looking for a tag axle rig with gas heat, range and oven, gas hot water and NO dishwasher, we found they were just not available. I personally spoke with Bob Tiffin and asked him to build a 43' Bus with LP appliances and he refused. I spoke to him a year later and asked again, and again he refused, but not with the "absolutely not" type response. A year later I tried again at the Hershey, PA RV show and with the help of a very persuasive dealer Tiffin agreed to build it my way. About 6 months later we took delivery on a new 2013 43' coach after going to the factory for 2 weeks to watch it being built. The short story is that we love it and after over 61,000 miles it performs just like we thought it would.

When we were at the factory for the build, DW and I stopped to see Bob Tiffin and thank him for the Bus mods. He said it was the only one he'd ever built that way and did not intend to build another the same. A number of folks who have seen how well our Bus performs have asked Bob to build a similar one for them, and so far he has refused. This will probably be our last Bus, but if current trends continue if we ever wanted to replace it, it wouldn't be a Tiffin. Too bad as we love this rig.
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We didn't want an all electric coach either. We had a 2016 Tiffin 40 QBH Phaeton built with gas stove, furnace and hot water heater. We did get the residential refrigerator and heat pump air conditioners.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

Mine is all electric with residential fridge, 8-house batteries and Aqua-hot. We also have a fireplace but the heat from the hydronic system is so much better than propane, no cool spots or dry feeling. But the great benefit for me is shower time. With the tank-less system I can open the gray tank and take a 2 hour shower with no problem or as long as I want before running out of diesel fuel. With a small 6-10 gallon propane water heater or the Aqua-hot on propane planning is a serious issue. I would never back to propane.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

I guess its a matter of semantics. Your right in that there is not a "true" all electric. Perhaps Telsa can come up with one.
From a more pragmatic standpoint "all electric" simply means there is no propane. The fridge is electric only, usually much larger that absorbtion type, cooktop is either inductive or induction, and heat is usually electric/diesel hydronic.
An all electric can boondock just as long than one with propane.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #11

Curious but what do you use for grilling?
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

I guess I don't understand what's not to like on all electric. Granted we have not had our coach that long but first time we used the induction stove wife told me our next home stove was going to be induction. We've not used the convection/microwave yet but I don't foresee a problem there.

With no propane I don't need to watch propane level just diesel level which I want topped off anyhow when we stop someplace. Plus as others have mentioned the hot water and lack of moisture from the propane are both a plus. So with about 100 gal of diesel available if tank is topped off (allowing 50 gal for travel after fill and residual before generator cut out) that equates to a lot of generator time and aqua hot time. Add in as others mention less travel restriction and less fire hazard and it really seems to be way to go at least on the larger coaches.

Now once we are plugged in even the diesel may not be needed depending on temperature. (Assuming electric elements in aqua hot and heat pumps take care of things.)

Tom
Old 12-17-2016, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Shaw View Post
Curious but what do you use for grilling?
I can get a lot of grilling done with a pack of green bottles from Wally World. Even though I have propane tanks on my trailer I don't fuss with hooking them up to the grill. I like to have my grill away from my RV anyway due to smoke and grease.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 12:16 AM   #14

So everyone is in agreement that All Electric is NOT actually All Electric?

Well, at least my local dealers weren't trying to pull a fast one...first time for everything

But, there seems to be confusion even here about a standard gas set-up...like:
-A gas furnace severely dries the air. If there is condensation in the coach from the furnace (that is not from the occupants breath) I submit that there's a leak in the heat exchanger. However, propane cooking DOES create condensation.
-And, the tanks capacity is rather large. We often travel with 2 other families, both have Gas Class A's with propane and their (very large -100 lb I think) propane tanks only need filling 1-2 times a year, so the "gotta watch the level" argument doesn't hold true in real world experience. The twin 20lb tanks on our TT do require more attension, but still last a LONG TIME.

Radiant floor heating is neat, but that is not going to take a cold coach from chilly to toasty in just minutes like a forced air unit. Do the Diesel boilers have a forced air option? If not...forget that - too limiting. And what about the complaints of "sludge in the Aquahot"?

If we were in RV parks all the time so we could have endless showers, a tank-less propane water heater is readily available. I guess we keep going back to that...Resort based RV's.

Finally, I worry about the longevity of using a residential fridge in an RV. They just are not built for the constant vibration of the road. Failures have been reported here on iRV2. But from my shopping, replacements are less than half the price of a 2way fridge. Guess that is why these apartment units are being installed in many, many RV's at the factory now (cheaper at acquisition).

So thanks for the feedback and insight. I guess I would be like the Tiffin owner above, who wanted ALL the options...gas and electric.
My Mrs. actually cooks in our gas oven...says cooking with gas is MUCH better than electric. And I am so glad she can...yum!

Thanks