Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2020, 06:55 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All electric , needing new inverter,need help!

We have been having some major electrical problems, especially when we are traveling. The inverter must be faulting out and turning itself off. When plugged in we have no trouble starting the engine. If it is shut off, the Genny had better be running or you aren't going to restart. We had some Oasis work done and the technician commented on the age of the inverter. Not sure why it was considered old. The coach is barely 8 years old. I would think that they would last a bit longer than that. We figure that it would be best to replace and wonder which inverter would be best. From what I have read, I figure at least a 3000 pure sine version. But we are totally electric, are there bigger inverters than 3000? Thanks for the help in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #2

First thing I would do is to remove, clean and inspect all electrical connections at the batteries, as well as ground connections. While the connections are off, load test all of your batteries, start and house. I'll bet you'll find that one or more of your batteries are marginal at best. Please keep us abreast of what you find. Take care, and stay safe!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The great inverter debate —- been looking myself for about a year.

I agree seems that a coach only 8 years old should not have a an issue. My inverter on my 2000 is original it’s a trace 3012 now Xantrex.

I have been looking to replace for PSW.

Aims makes a 4000 12v inverter but has been hard to find anyone who has it in an RV. Most others are 3000 at 12v for anything bigger you have to stack (two inverters) or switch to 24 or 48 volt battery.

Before making that leap how are the battery’s you don’t really explain what problems your having.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #4

what does an inverter have to do with starting the engine? sounds like your chassis batteries have a problem.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #5

Like others have said you have a chassis battery or charging system problem.

I had difficulty starting my coach end of last year. I discovered on my last trip that the alternator had gone out. I had to run the generator while driving to have enough power to keep the engine running and if I stopped, I'd better keep the generator on or it wouldn't start again.

Normally the chassis electrical shouldn't need any help from the coach systems to maintain enough energy to start. Cars and trucks don't need to stay plugged in to start.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:03 AM   #6

When on shore power or have the generator running, you are starting your engine on the house batteries.

The isolation solenoid is closed, connecting the house batteries to the chassis batteries. You can also just push and hold the boost switch to start your engine. Same solenoid.

Your problem has nothing to do with your inverter/charger.

You have a chassis battery or chassis charging system issue.

If your shop is blaming the inverter, find another shop.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Need more info and X3 on above ^^^^ the inverter has nothing to do with starting the engine... now the charger in it could. Are you a dry camper? If so, then instead of replacing I would add a 800-1000W PSW inverter for just the refer and entertainment equipment. That would let you turn the larger inverter off when not needed which is most of the time.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Twin boat,
We tried the boost switch first. Remained dead. It may be I have two problems,:
A. The chassis batteries
B. The inverter. It has shut off at least three time that I know of in the last few months. I have to make a special point to make sure it kicks over to house batteries or the refer gets warm. This was especially critical when I was carrying insulin for my pugdog.
It has never done that in the past.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #9

Your going to have to find a RV shop that can explain the workings of Your RV.

The inverter doesn't kick over to house batteries, its always connected to them.

Its actually an inverter/charger. While on shore power it charges your battery and with No shore or generator power, it creates 120 power from the house batteries.

If your boost switch isn'tt working, your isolation solenoid may not be either. That needs to work so that the engine charges both the start batteries and house batteries while on the road.

If your house batteries are not being charged while driving, they may run low and your inverter will shut down.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When your inverter shuts down make a note of the voltage reading at your panel - will help with diagnosis and fix. It's likely you're going to see something near 10.5 volts.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:47 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks everybody! Least I have a possible idea what is going on.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #12

Its an 8 year old coach as you point out. Are the batteries original or have they been replaced?

If you don't have a voltmeter you should get one. This would allow you to take voltage measurements. Always write down the voltage and the condition (e.g., engine running, on shore power)

You could start by measuring the battery voltages with

NO shore power
Measure after a hour
House battery voltage_____
Chassis battery voltage ____

Battery Boost switch on
Measure voltage after a few minutes
Did the voltage change? If not the boost solenoid may not be working. Find the boost solenoid, then turn the boost switch on, did the solenoid click? If not the you will have to troubleshoot the circuit.

Shore power measure voltage after a few hours
Did the voltage on both batteries go up? If not it might indicate a problem with the circuit that ties the batteries together while charging.

Engine Running
measure voltage after a few minutes
Did the voltage increase on both batteries? If the chassis went up the house did not there is a problem circuit that ties the batteries together. No my coach the they used the boost solenoid to tie the batteries together, your may be different.

When the inverter tripped off what were the voltages.

The wait times are to allow voltages stabilize.

If you don't have a voltmeter Klien make some good reasonably price meter. They also make a nice voltmeters with a DC Clamp on AMP meter (CL800.) The clamp on amp meter function allows you to measure current without disconnecting the circuit. It would allow you to measure the output of the battery charger by just "clamping" the meter around the battery lead. Note not all clamp on meter measure DC.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with most of the relies here. It's apparent your battery systems are in poor condition, either the batteries themselves or the connections.

Your inverter is also a charger and converter. It probably can charge the chassis (engine starting) battery as well as the house batteries and apparently is doing so when shore power or genset power is available. When those are missing, the inverter/charger can't charge and you rely on battery only. Clearly those are up to the job.

The inverter shuts off for the same reason the engine doesn't start - insufficient battery power.

Start with the suggestions that others made concerning battery voltages and cleaning/tightening connections. You seem to have issues with both house and chassis batteries.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:47 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Sure sounds like batteries/connections. Remember that if you increase the wattage of you inverter you will probably need larger battery cables.

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, inverter, need help