Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #43

RV Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck28f View Post
We bought our first class A motorhome about one year ago. No previous experience at all. We bought our current motorhome to see how much we would use it and how well we liked rv'ing. We have been out traveling about 6 weeks in the last year and have had a blast. Chuck
First let me say that my education and life long profession is as an electrical engineer, I love electricity. For 40+ years my homes have been total electric.

However with that said I perfer dual energy for my RV. Reason is simple math. 30 amp supply power will get you about 3500 watts of electrical energy, 50 amps will produce about 5500 watts per leg or a total 11000 watts. When you add all of your electrical devices you run out energy.

In my case, may be different for you, about one third only offer 30 amp service. We typically stay in fedetal, state or municipally owned campgrounds. The "resort" style places will typically have 50 amp, but for us to crowed and to many rules.

In the end, it is how you use your RV and what do you enjoy.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 07:27 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jarrett View Post
For my money, propane is plenty safe. We have been RVing since 1980 in various rigs and have never had a problem with propane. Our Dometic side-by-side absorption fridge has performed flawlessly for the life of our present (2003 Country Coach) coach, and I too like the option of having a refrigerator that works even if the power goes out.
I refer you to these photos.

Propane fires are pretty nasty. That's why rigs with propane tanks are not allowed in many tunnels.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #45

Thanks for all the comments! Since being new to RVing, I didn't know about fire hazard. Our Norcold works great. I suppose it will come down to what floor plan works the best for us. I just wanted to make sure if we found an all electric motorhome it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks again, Chuck
chuck28f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #46
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRay View Post
Propane fires are pretty nasty. That's why rigs with propane tanks are not allowed in many tunnels.
I believe it's because propane exists in a gaseous state and is heavier than air. The tunnels that ban propane are lower in the center or somewhere that could allow propane to accumulate, such as underwater tunnels.

Propane's Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) is 2.7% and the Upper Explosive Limit (UEL) is 9.5%. The propane concentration must be in that range for combustion in air to occur.

Gasoline's LEL is 1.2% and the UEL is 7.1%, not too much different.

So propane has a 6.8% flammable range versus gasoline's 5.9% range for a 0.9% difference.

Note that those are the "will burn" limits and even much lower limits may be hazardous to breathe.

Gasoline contains 120,286 BTUs per gallon while propane contains 91,452 BTUs per gallon. So the same amount of burning gasoline releases 24% more heat than burning propane.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 09-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #47

Never been a documented case of an absorption fridge propane fire when fitted with this device. https://www.arprv.com/products.php
I am sure some tunnels ban propane tanks, but have travelled in an area that has them.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #48

"all electric", at least when discussing motorhomes, doesn't really mean all electric. It just means diesel instead of propane.

Aquahot is a wonderful furnace and water heater, connected to the main 100 gallon diesel tank, will last 2 months in sub freezing weather.

Yes, we have a gas grille, and carry a 30 propane tank to feed it.

I hate the induction cooktop, but would never go back to an absorption fridge or noisy propane furnace.

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
"all electric", at least when discussing motorhomes, doesn't really mean all electric. It just means diesel instead of propane.

Aquahot is a wonderful furnace and water heater, connected to the main 100 gallon diesel tank, will last 2 months in sub freezing weather.

Yes, we have a gas grille, and carry a 30 propane tank to feed it.

I hate the induction cooktop, but would never go back to an absorption fridge or noisy propane furnace.
Interesting....I have a 2008 Tiffin that has propane, but the only thing fed from a large propane tank is my gas cooktop (I have Diesel Aquahot and a residential fridge).

I have been toying with removing the gas cooktop and replacing with induction (and thus removing the large propane tank).

Now....I am not quite sure what I should do.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
For me, and just for me, I would never have an all electric. We like to cook with propane. Hot water is provided by aqua-hot. Electrical issues happen, and it's the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is trying and figure that out before we can cook dinner. And the newer coaches with all the touch screens and stuff, no thanks.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
I'm right there with ya. Going down the road the fridge runs on propane, which takes very little gas.... I keep the fridge on auto setting.... Our hotwater runs off the diesel tank....
LifeSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Interesting....I have a 2008 Tiffin that has propane, but the only thing fed from a large propane tank is my gas cooktop (I have Diesel Aquahot and a residential fridge).

I have been toying with removing the gas cooktop and replacing with induction (and thus removing the large propane tank).

Now....I am not quite sure what I should do.
DW just Loves the Induction cook top. And its So much easier to keep clean
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
If I was getting a new rig it would be all electric. I filled my 40# propane tank yesterday. 9.8 gallons in five minutes for $34.00 which equals about $3.40 per gallon. Propane delivered to my house is around $1.40 per gallon. What a ripoff and only going to get worse so go electric.
When our propane guy was here to fill our home tank he offered to top off my motorhome. I thought he was joking. Nope. At .99/gal I told him to go for it. Our tank capacity is 31 gal at 80%, or, 131 lbs. It only took about 7 gals.... But still.... A full tank lasts a long time...
Old 09-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSalt View Post
I'm right there with ya. Going down the road the fridge runs on propane,
While running down the road our fridge runs on electricity that is generated by the coach engine. After a days run the batteries will run the fridge, lights and aqua hot heat for about 14 hours (used to be better but the batteries are starting to degrade) before the generator starts up. We could go slightly longer except I like to have coffee in the morning and the draw on the coffee maker brings the battery voltage below 12.2.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
While running down the road our fridge runs on electricity that is generated by the coach engine. After a days run the batteries will run the fridge, lights and aqua hot heat for about 14 hours (used to be better but the batteries are starting to degrade) before the generator starts up. We could go slightly longer except I like to have coffee in the morning and the draw on the coffee maker brings the battery voltage below 12.2.
I just wonder if the chassis batteries will degrade faster. I'd prefer to use them just for starting, although they also are used for the slides .
Old 09-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #55

Quote:
I just wonder if the chassis batteries will degrade faster. I'd prefer to use them just for starting, although they also are used for the slides .
Believe most coaches use house batteries to run inverter to run fridge and other 120 volt items. Alternator charges house batteries as well as chassis/start batteries.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:30 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Our inverter is run off of the house batteries. As far as I can tell the chassis batteries are primarily used for starting. When the ignition is off even the radio is run off of the house batteries.

Tags
electric