Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 07:49 AM   #113

Apples & oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Not sure about the correlation between heavy equipment and an rv but as a General contractor I too have driven dirt moving equipment; albeit much much smaller than you. Yes, I'm jealous. Regardless, the suspension on an rv is what provides the comfort not how it obtains the power required to move it.

If the large household batteries of a Tesla are capable of moving the electric motors and a 240v generator can charge said batteries then what is the problem with 15+ mph? I tow a full size Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 with an 8' bed and four doors and average 6 mpg. It is what it is and I realize fuel efficiency is not what I'm paying for with this rv lifestyle but if new technology can improve the mpg without sacrificing comfort I am all for it.

On a side note, electric motors and very reliable and not having DEF or oil changes are additional bonuses.
Apples & oranges: 15 mph vs 6 mpg two different horses. Was that just a typo?
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
World War II submarines used lead acid batteries and diesel gener!tors to charge them. Railway locomotives used electric motors driven by large diesel generayors. Using electric motors for transportation is not new, the batteries to make it practical is new.
Well, the Texas Tesla factory should be cranking out Electric semis within a year. I bet one of the Motorhome integrators will be building a small Super C within a couple years after that. Should be interesting.

One of the challenges I see is the physical layout of the first generation super charger parking lots. I can see them dealing with maybe up to a 28 foot coach okay but think it may get dicey after that. The latest V3 Superchargers seem to sometimes include a few spots for vehicles towing so those would probably accommodate a smaller Super C. And if the battery’s are modular possibly even connect to V3’s at the same time.

So many changes to come. Much of it will be watching how China and Europe deals with and go from there. They are already getting crossing many of these infrastructure paths.

No idea really. Not an expert. Interesting though.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
Apples & oranges: 15 mph vs 6 mpg two different horses. Was that just a typo?
Typo, I meant mpg.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Demand for Lithium-ion batteries. Notice how E-buses pretty well stays the same. Will that mean it doesn't spread into RV's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37628986-15586196996590958_origin[1].png
Views:	34
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	309046  
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:00 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Demand for Lithium-ion batteries. Notice how E-buses pretty well stays the same. Will that mean it doesn't spread into RV's?
Interesting graph. The stationary storage is increasing less than I thought it would as well.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric