Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 10:43 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Like others have already pointed out there's advantages to both. We have an all electric but carry a 15# propane tank for the Blackstone griddle and fire pit. As mentioned these aquahots need to be ruined, like pointed out, almost Monthly in my opinion that's true. I didn't and when I headed north and decided to run the diesel side of the HW heater got diesel smell and smoking. Now that I'm back home I'll run it to see if that will clear it up without having to get it tuned up. The electric side supplied us all the HW we needed for showers etc. so it wasn't a big issue. It's nice to not have a propane furnace and separate HW Heater, less that can go wrong, IMO. When we were camping in NE with our Gasser Class A in October things got cold where we had no heat pump in the ACs and needed the propane to keep us warm so it really drains it down quickly. Got smarter got a space heater to help plus used the fireplace but still used the furnace. In the end I'd stick with all electric.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 10:54 AM   #16

We have a propane cooktop, oven and furnace. Very rare these days. Along with a residential fridge. I think its the best of both worlds. We like to boondock, even though I have 300 Ah of lithium and 800 watts of solar, would hate to fire up the genny every time we need to cook something on the stove or heat the rig. Regarding filling up the propane, I'm going on two years on one tank, and we spend about 40 nights per year camping. Guess if I want to keep my propane stove and oven, I'll need to keep this rig forever.
KFed 90-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #17

Quick off topic AH help. AH have a hot water mixing valve. Turn it up ...I was able to open mine up 10-15f past the light metal adjustment stop , when it gets any weaker. I'll buy new watts valve mixing and put its cartridge in old body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
We recently upgrade from a 02 American Eagle with propane to an 08 all electric (the PO left the propane tank in the storage bay). It does have a Aqua Hot diesel furnace/water heater. Having the residential fridge is nice, but not that big of a deal for us. Our propane fridge with the Amish unit worked just fine and had enough room for us. No need to defrost anymore, which was a pain in the butt. The water is not as hot as it was with the water heater in the old coach, but that might be a faulty thermostat.(replacing that soon). Other than those, we don’t notice any difference. But we only boondock for a night if we are on a road trip.

Oh. I will say that i got rid of the propane tank, so having a whole extra storage bay is so nice.
J
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you plan to boondock in a 30' trailer in the woods, then propane is probably the best way to go. You could be all electric with a boat load of solar and make it work, but that's not the norm.

Our camping consists of mainly private RV parks, so we have full hookups 95% of the time. All electric was the best choice for US. With that said we've camped at Yosemite during Thanksgiving week several times with our all electric 40' DP. We were very comfortable. It required two hours of generator use in the morning while we showered and made breakfast and about two hours in the evening during meal prep. That kept us at full power to watch TV, run sat receiver, heat and refer.

Lastly, if you're looking for a DP made in the last few years, a propane powered one has become the unicorn and is usually special ordered as most new ones come all electric.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For us the propane fridge, water heater, stove is a must. In the past 50 days we camped 25 nights at 7 camp grounds with no electric. We only needed to run the generator for less than 3.5 hours to recharge batteries. We have solar but many days were not strong solar days. We can go can go about 2.5 days with poor solar before we run the generator. I hate running the generator.

All electric MH's I think you either need electric hookup or you need to run the generator a few hours a day.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
..... Just depends on how you like to camp. .......for off grid if you have flexible fuel sources.
Retired and full time. Was not a plan. Got a MH to travel and visit friends and family in different parts of the country. Just enjoyed living in the MH.

Having propane reduces the amount of electricity needed when dry camping. Last year installed a residential frig. It took a little time to get used to it.

Point is, you can get used to whatever you have and it not make much of a difference in how you decide to enjoy your MH.

I like having propane but if I was shopping for a Class A, I would not exclude an all electric.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:55 PM   #21

I already said my say but reading along the concept of having to run the generator 4 hours a day would keep me on propane. One fill up every year or so is not that inconvenient. Plus as mentioned by others - I have moved to a propane fire pit because any more burn bans are in effect it seems at least half of the camping season. Plus you don't have to screw with wood, the smell - getting your wife to swing an axe lol
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:49 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I already said my say but reading along the concept of having to run the generator 4 hours a day would keep me on propane. One fill up every year or so is not that inconvenient. Plus as mentioned by others - I have moved to a propane fire pit because any more burn bans are in effect it seems at least half of the camping season. Plus you don't have to screw with wood, the smell - getting your wife to swing an axe lol
On the other hand, many of us would NEVER have a propane refer again. I was never concerned about my Norcold 1200 catching fire, but I hated to have to "manage" it in the heat. I don't care how well yours works, it will suffer in the heat and especially on hot driving days. A residential refer is just something I would never be without again.
Old 09-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RVers have many very different needs and desires while camping. Just look at how how many RV models are out there. Electric/propane optione just go right along with the rest of RV choices.

For us I would never own an all electric RV. In smaller sized RVs it becomes too limiting to full hookup campgrounds. We really, really do not like running the genny anymore than required. On the 5th wheeler it's 12 volt system has been 100% solar for years now. Including trips north of the Aritic Circle with low sun angles.

Our Norcold frig keeps ice cream hard and makes crackling ice just fine. I do have four fans in the chimney. That makes all of the difference.

TO EACH THEIR OWN.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
On the other hand, many of us would NEVER have a propane refer again. I was never concerned about my Norcold 1200 catching fire, but I hated to have to "manage" it in the heat. I don't care how well yours works, it will suffer in the heat and especially on hot driving days. A residential refer is just something I would never be without again.
Well I don't care how well yours works either HAHAHAHA
Funny I was doing something literally feet away from my fridge outside panel the other day and water started dripping out...I was like huh that's weird. The ice maker line, that little plastic tubing just popped a leak. I replaced it with stainless braided like, so now my fridge is INVINCIBLE and yours is not, or wait maybe it was hot and needed managed.

To the OP, depends on how you like to camp. I also happen to like cooking over flame, or my wife says I do.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 05:07 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, you got to stay on top of those old refers as stuff rots off!
Old 09-24-2022, 05:31 PM   #26

Cool

Very happy with my Forza . Electric Res refrig , fire place , takes chill off , A/C , WH , and Inverter/charger to use / charge batteries . Gas for WH , and heat . I would not want today coach with a keypad or internet setup . Rv 's have enough problems without not bring able to turn on the A/C or heat .
Old 09-24-2022, 05:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Plus 1 million. Just depends on how you like to camp. No offense intended to the people that think a propane fridge is going to explode, that was a handful of fridges, they were recalled (you can easily check if your fridge is one of them) and it's now moved into Bigfoot territory. Which you can easily go hunting for off grid if you have flexible fuel sources.
It's not a handful. There's a current thread on another fridge fire rt now. And the recall was a joke not a fix. The jc HVAC conversion will run 2 full days on 4 golf cart batteries. All I use propane for is my stove now. Lord willing, it will be empty close to home and I will switch to convection and pull the tank out. All electric is the way to go in my opinion. Wouldn't want to be without the aquahot either.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:07 AM   #28

Thanks for all the great responses��

Rob
Rmdrc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric