Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Allegro Bay

My wife and I are looking at picking up a used RV. We found a 2001 allegro bay 36' on a ford chassis. It has 43k miles and is one owner. Older adult owned, husband lost his ability to drive.

It seems in excellent condition. Is there anything specific to watch out for on these? Or with the ford class a in general?

Thanks!
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
OK...how much RVing experience do you have???....how mechanically inclined are you....can you fix "stuff" yourself?? My wife and I had a 2000 40 Allegro Bus DP with 44k miles....and we liked it...BUT....you had better be handy or be ready to pay someone else to fix things. It is part of the RV lifestyle....something is ALWAYS breaking or going wrong or needing fixed...plan on it. I spent 40 years on the railroad as a machinist so fixing things was really no issue...just an annoyance....RVing is NOT for everyone...we found this out. But it does sound like a good rig and Tiffin makes great MH's and their costumer service is great....and if you can get into this rig for a good price then try it and see how YOU like it....good luck....PS...Diesels and gassers are two totally different MH's...we really liked the diesel and friends that have gassers really like our diesel....pro's and con's...I prefer a diesel...JMHO
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One owner is great. Have maintenance records? Has it been sitting for long? Age of tires- they age out before they wear out. Age of batteries? Televisions original tube type or have they been updated? Allocate a couple few thousand dollars for upgrades and unexpected needs.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
One owner is great. Have maintenance records? Has it been sitting for long? Age of tires- they age out before they wear out. Age of batteries? Televisions original tube type or have they been updated? Allocate a couple few thousand dollars for upgrades and unexpected needs.
They've got records since they bought it new. Brakes were done all the way around and new tires put on last year. TV's have been updated to LED and they put a Winegard satellite system in. All batteries were replaced 2 years ago. It's been sitting at their son's house since last september under a car port. They told me that they've taken it out at least once every other week, and have run the generator a few hours a week as well.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramedic 1 View Post
OK...how much RVing experience do you have???....how mechanically inclined are you....can you fix "stuff" yourself?? My wife and I had a 2000 40 Allegro Bus DP with 44k miles....and we liked it...BUT....you had better be handy or be ready to pay someone else to fix things. It is part of the RV lifestyle....something is ALWAYS breaking or going wrong or needing fixed...plan on it. I spent 40 years on the railroad as a machinist so fixing things was really no issue...just an annoyance....RVing is NOT for everyone...we found this out. But it does sound like a good rig and Tiffin makes great MH's and their costumer service is great....and if you can get into this rig for a good price then try it and see how YOU like it....good luck....PS...Diesels and gassers are two totally different MH's...we really liked the diesel and friends that have gassers really like our diesel....pro's and con's...I prefer a diesel...JMHO
Haven't been RV'ing in years. Used to go when I was younger with my parents and had a blast. Now that I have kids I want to get them into the lifestyle. As far as fixing stuff, I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Have my Class A cdl, used to run heavy equipment. Work on all my vehicles etc. Owner has it listed for $28k, gonna go see it saturday and see if he's willing to negotiate some.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #6

Not too familiar with the Ford chassis but some of the earlier motors had spark plug thread issues. Might be worth some research in the Ford chassis forum.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you have the needed skills to enjoy a motorhome!
Drive it, check it out thoroughly, negotiate what you can and buy it if it suits you.

We really like our 2006 Allegro Bay 37DB. Ours has the Chevy 8.1 Vortec with about 38,000 miles on it so I don't know about the Ford. We have owned it a little over two years and recently I took drawers out and panels off to be sure I had gotten rid of all the mouse feces (one mouse can make a lot of poop) and I have been really impressed with the behind the counter and out of site build. Over all, the house, systems and chassis quality has been great.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Sounds like you have the needed skills to enjoy a motorhome!
Drive it, check it out thoroughly, negotiate what you can and buy it if it suits you.

We really like our 2006 Allegro Bay 37DB. Ours has the Chevy 8.1 Vortec with about 38,000 miles on it so I don't know about the Ford. We have owned it a little over two years and recently I took drawers out and panels off to be sure I had gotten rid of all the mouse feces (one mouse can make a lot of poop) and I have been really impressed with the behind the counter and out of site build. Over all, the house, systems and chassis quality has been great.
I've heard that the Tiffins are pretty good quality. I have heard about the Triton engines and spark plugs, but I believe that was limited to the very early engines. You are right about mice, they are poop factories!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Not too familiar with the Ford chassis but some of the earlier motors had spark plug thread issues. Might be worth some research in the Ford chassis forum.
I've looked into the Triton engine spark plug issues. It's not limited to just the V10. From what I've read, its only common on the very early ones.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a 2000 Allegro 33 foot on a Ford chassis. We had to replace all that you mentioned was replaced in the past two years (tires, batteries, tv's). Engine is strong. Handling can be an issue. Check the shocks, if never replaced, they need to be replaced. Also check out the "cheap handling fix" thread in the Ford Chassis section. I also added air bags to level the coach when on the road which also helped the ride. Tiffin Motorhomes has good service support even years after the coach was built. I even got a replacement decal for the front cap from them. If you like the coach, layout and are confident of the service records and good price it should be worth buying.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
We had a 2000 Allegro 33 foot on a Ford chassis. We had to replace all that you mentioned was replaced in the past two years (tires, batteries, tv's). Engine is strong. Handling can be an issue. Check the shocks, if never replaced, they need to be replaced. Also check out the "cheap handling fix" thread in the Ford Chassis section. I also added air bags to level the coach when on the road which also helped the ride. Tiffin Motorhomes has good service support even years after the coach was built. I even got a replacement decal for the front cap from them. If you like the coach, layout and are confident of the service records and good price it should be worth buying.
What shocks do you recommend for it? Are bilsteins available? Ive heard they're good.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
What shocks do you recommend for it? Are bilsteins available? Ive heard they're good.
What shocks to install seems to always start a lively discussion.
I installed Monroe shocks on our 2000 Allegro in 2010 (when we bought it) as a direct replacement to what was on the chassis from the factory. The original shocks were all completely shot so anything was an improvement. If I had to do it again, I would probably install Bilsteins (which I installed on our current coach). There are a lot of threads on shocks in the Ford Chassis Forum.
cpr_vbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #13

I had a 2000 Allegro and loved it! The Ford V-10 pulled my wife's car on a dolly through out Vermont and Maine, including the northern part of the state where it gets quite hilly with ease. One thing I would recommend is a full wheel alignment, and by full I mean if the front end is out of align they heat and bend the solid front axle. I had that done on my Allegro, it cost me $500 around 2010, and it made an incredible difference in ride and handling, night and day type difference.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #14

Go for it and have fun!

If there are no leaks, check batteries and tire age.