Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I usually run in eco mode and allison shifts into 6th about 62mph. Now if I were to run at 55mph (legal speed in Calif towing) tranny will not shift into 6th, no matter what.

I would like to compare mpg at 55mph in 5th gear VS 62mph in 6th gear. Assuming all level driving of course. 62mph is less rpm, but more wind resistants.

Anyone have a theory?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I usually run in eco mode and allison shifts into 6th about 62mph. Now if I were to run at 55mph (legal speed in Calif towing) tranny will not shift into 6th, no matter what.

I would like to compare mpg at 55mph in 5th gear VS 62mph in 6th gear. Assuming all level driving of course. 62mph is less rpm, but more wind resistants.

Anyone have a theory?
One of the benefits of the eco mode is that mine does shift into 6th near 55 mph. In normal mode it has to be over 60. The other nice thing about eco mode is that it will stay in 6th gear down to 49 or 50, as that is where it is in peak torque rpm. So far, the only reason I can see to run in normal is for cooling if needed. I just like the engine working at it's most efficient rpm. 6th gear at 55 mph should be more efficient than 5th due to a slightly lower rpm. I'm guessing the increased wind resistance at 62 vs 55 would negate any gain from being in a higher gear.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
One of the benefits of the eco mode is that mine does shift into 6th near 55 mph. In normal mode it has to be over 60. The other nice thing about eco mode is that it will stay in 6th gear down to 49 or 50, as that is where it is in peak torque rpm. So far, the only reason I can see to run in normal is for cooling if needed. I just like the engine working at it's most efficient rpm. 6th gear at 55 mph should be more efficient than 5th due to a slightly lower rpm. I'm guessing the increased wind resistance at 62 vs 55 would negate any gain from being in a higher gear.
interesting. The only way I can run along at 55 in 6th is to accelerate up to 62+, then let it slow down. If I was even going on a slight downhill, I'm not sure how low I could go before it would down shift to 5th. And that would be in eco mode.

Now you got me thinking. I'm going to have to experiment on the next trip.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #18

Quote:
I agree with your last sentence.
It says in that article to leave in eco-mode and manually downshift one gear. i have no idea which is best, or if it actually makes a difference for RVers. personally I let the Allison TCM do the thinking.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

Anyone have a theory?
Bill, we likely have the same drive axle gear ratio.
In eco mode, mine will stay in 6th on small rises like overpasses at 61mph. Thats where I set the cruise control driving in Cal.

Never tried it because I don't want semi's slowly passing me,(ie running along side me) but I would think you would get a little better mileage in 5th, at 55mph, for the reason you mentioned.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:
interesting. The only way I can run along at 55 in 6th is to accelerate up to 62+, then let it slow down. If I was even going on a slight downhill, I'm not sure how low I could go before it would down shift to 5th. And that would be in eco mode.

I would question whether your Allison is actually going into economy mode if you have to run up over 60 for the shift. That's the shift point for normal position.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #21

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I would question whether your Allison is actually going into economy mode if you have to run up over 60 for the shift. That's the shift point for normal position.
That's going to depend on your differential gear ratio.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
That's a good question. I don't know. We're headed out late next week. My wife is going to be asking why are you speeding up and slowing down so much.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Bill, we likely have the same drive axle gear ratio.
In eco mode, mine will stay in 6th on small rises like overpasses at 61mph. Thats where I set the cruise control driving in Cal.

Never tried it because I don't want semi's slowly passing me,(ie running along side me) but I would think you would get a little better mileage in 5th, at 55mph, for the reason you mentioned.
Mine is exactly the same way. 61 on cruise and as long as it's rolling gentle inclines, it will stay in 6th. But I nearly always push the eco mode button.

I've never had an issue running at 61-62 towing in CA. Semi's are often doing 60+ too. CHiP are going after the guys doing 90+ or darting in and out between traffic.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #24

I have ZERO knowledge / Zero experience in a motorhome, but I do know this has been argued extensively on many automotive forums. My belief is the design engineers know more about it than I do.

In my private vehicles this grand-pa driver uses Econ mode and has no qualms about it. Same-same for the now standard engine auto stop/ start systems that have many owners complaining.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
I have ZERO knowledge / Zero experience in a motorhome, but I do know this has been argued extensively on many automotive forums. My belief is the design engineers know more about it than I do.

In my private vehicles this grand-pa driver uses Econ mode and has no qualms about it. Same-same for the now standard engine auto stop/ start systems that have many owners complaining.
Sorry, but I'm confused. If you have no experience in motorhomes, why is your signature a 2010 Tiffin?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #26

Quote:

If you have to get above 60 for it to shift into 6th when in eco mode, how fast do you have to go to shift into 6th when in normal mode??

On a recent long incline, we started up at 65 mph in eco mode and was down to 50 at the top and it was still in 6th gear @1400 rpm, peak torque.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:48 AM   #27

Quote:
I think it climbed long inclines better when pulling in or near the peak torque rpm. My silverleaf showed a maximum of 1175# of torque @1400 (rated at 1250), and only 390hp (rated for 450) @2000-2200 rpm. Of course as the rpm's go above 1400 , the torque level goes down. If the Silverleaf is accurate, the engine is not developing maximum power. I could have it tweaked up, but where it's at leaves a safety margin for EGT and load on the transmission rated for 1250# torque.
That is TQ at the crank shaft you are seeing but you loose TQ to the wheels every time the transmission up shifts. The TQ to the wheels is multiplied by the drivetrain. As the gear ratio increases the TQ decreases to the drive wheels. So shifting sooner would actually hurt your performance under heavy load and work the engine harder. Shifting sooner will increase your EGT's and engine temp.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:22 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If you have to get above 60 for it to shift into 6th when in eco mode, how fast do you have to go to shift into 6th when in normal mode??

On a recent long incline, we started up at 65 mph in eco mode and was down to 50 at the top and it was still in 6th gear @1400 rpm, peak torque.
Crasher,
I always just hit the eco mode when I start, so to answer your question about how fast in normal mode to shift, I don't remember. It's on my list to do this coming trip.

Tags
allison