Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Allison transmission and batteries

Earlier in the week, as we were traveling to our next park, our transmission started hanging up in 2nd gear and the "ABS light came on. I pulled over, in the middle of nowhere, then eased onto the highway and all seemed well. About 50 miles down the road the same thing happened with the same results. Then after about 200 miles and not dar from out destination, the "check transmission" light came on as well, then reset itself. When we reached our destination and began to deploy our slide, we realized our battery bank was dead. My question is, does the Allisons system depend on a fully charged battery, or is this probably something else? We are miles from dependable service centers and curious if I should hit the "panic" button at this point.
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #2

Your alternator, when working, will keep your chassis batteries at 13.5 volts.
The electronic engine and transmission controls depend on that.

Did you notice less then 12 volts on your dash gauges ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by free2wander View Post
, we realized our battery bank was dead. My question is, does the Allisons system depend on a fully charged battery, or is this probably something else? We are miles from dependable service centers and curious if I should hit the "panic" button at this point.
I would find the reason that the batteries are not getting a charge.
The tranny does need a charged battery, You most likely are just running off the alternator charge circuit on the big engine.
As a "get by" until you can get to a shop try running the gen set while going down the road, this may give you enough electrical power to keep the tranny happy..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Well yes, you chassis battery needs to be good and have a charge. Your transmission and engine have electronic computer controls and need power for them to start and run.

Need to determine if your alternator is good and putting out voltage, and whether that voltage is getting to the chassis batteries to charge them up.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #5

Absolutely--both the Cummins engine and the Allison transition control modules require 12v power to operate properly. Not certain what the perimeters are, but both will shut down or throw codes if voltage drops low enough. On the other side of the coin is bad grounds. A poor ground will cause similar issues with both the engine and tranny....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

When my alternator failed the voltage started to drop, I noticed my gauge and tried to drive for a bit to get to a good area to pull over. As my chassis battery got down to 8/9 volts my coach started running bad, the transmission light came on and it wouldn't shift properly.

Its hard to diagnose without being there but I would check your alternator output. If in fact your alternator is not working, you can put a jumper between between your chassis and your house batteries and start your generator. Thats how I go my coach home so I could change out my alternator. You can drive it that way until you can get the alternator fixed.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say the battery bank is dead. Are you speaking to the house or chassis batteries? The transmission and engine electronics are powered via the chassis battery. If you are referencing the house batteries, suggest to check the chassis batteries as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up

Thanx Guys! I suspect my alternator is not charging and intend to do an alternator check as soon as weather permits. Meantime, I have installed a new battery maintainer (float and a charger in the battery bay powered by the genset . . . a just in case measure). Finding a DEPENDABLE service tech is my next concern!
free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have an onboard batter monitor or at least a multimeter? Check voltage with engine off and also idle.

Hopefully your moving now?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had my alternator quit while travelling down the road. I was trying to make it to the next town but the voltage dropped and the transmission light came on. The Allison then kicked into neutral and would not shift. I had to run jumper cables from the house batteries to the coach batteries to get me to town, and it ran fine like that. I am sure that that is most likely your problem as well.

Tags
allison, batteries, transmission