Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #15

In the past two years I have been parked next to three rigs that have had serious flooding. One from a leaking toilet, and others from forgetting to completely shut of a sink valve. It cost them dearly. Then it almost happened to me when I returned back to the MH and found the sink had been dripping for several hours, enough to fill the grey water tank and leave a few inches of water in the shower stall. That is why I always try to remember to turn off the supply connection to the RV when I know I am going to be gone for any length of time.
peliaspastia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettdwjr View Post
Has anyone replaced the hose from the outside control valve into the icemaker? I found that mine had ruptured and any time the icemaker called for water it just flowed into the coach. I fiound it before any damage but was wondering if I can make the repair or if I need to take it to a professional. The hose looks like you would need to remove the icemaker in the refrig. to get to the inside fitting then snake it down to the outside fitting. Anyone?
When I changed my line I had to remove the fridge to get to the top of the line.The ice maker did not have to come out of the fridge.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Never thought of turning the water off - which makes good sense given any plumbing could fail and flood. Unless there's a reason not to that I'm unaware of - I leave the grey water line open to cover the possible dripping sink or shower.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Never thought of turning the water off - which makes good sense given any plumbing could fail and flood. Unless there's a reason not to that I'm unaware of - I leave the grey water line open to cover the possible dripping sink or shower.
X2 I had one of my pex fittings leak. It took me a little while to fine it. It was right at the shower valve. When to home depot and found out hte pex tool cost $95. Was about to buy it when an employee came buy and asked if i needed help told him about my problem, he told me about Shark Bite. Those or some neat fittings so i tried it. They work great had it on there over a year now with no problems. I went back and bought a few more different types of fittings (elbows and straight connectors) that way if i have another problem i can fix it.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the ice maker hose come off, at least it didn't split. We were in Vegas driving down to the Strip when we got a call from the RV park, saying our RV was leaking water...Talk about your understatement, the lot was soaked, the street was running, the carpet in the pantry was wet.........no lasting damage, but I love the idea about turning off the water when leaving.
jimroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
The ice maker main hose to the ice maker solinoid valve, the solinoid valve itself, and the hose up to the ice maker can all freeze/crack during the winter, and can be easily forgotten during winterizing. When winterizing, disconnect line that goes up back of frig. to icemaker at the solinoid valve. It should drain because this is a downward gravity drain. Then disconnect main water line at solinoid valve. Loosen solinoid valve and turn it downward to drain all water from inside it. Then when blowing air thru the water lines during this type of winterizing, water should exit completely out of main water line that was disconnected earlier. No more freeze problems. Many people forget the water inside the ice maker hose and the solinoid valve itself.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #21

I was a Plumber for over 35 years. I won't have an ice maker in my S/B. I won't have an ice maker in my RV. I have just seen to much damage caused for the benefit of a handy ice cube. The hidden cheap clear plastic tubes are the main cause, pin holes that just spray a mist you can't see. Thousands of dollars to warped hardwood floors, mold and mildew for a handy ice cube or handy glass of cold water? Nope won't have one
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Same thing happened here.. Plus there is more.. I have never been happy with the amount of ice the U-Matic spit out.. When it failed I purchased a couple of rubbermaind ice cube trays and WOW, way better than the U-matic, much more ice. I now have 4 ice cube trays, one "Bin" full of ice (Which was a rare thing in the U-matic days) and the U-matic.... is in the basement storage compartment.. Out of sight, and out of mind.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #23

ice maker tubing

When I got my motor home my ice maker wouldn't work, replace water valve soleniod, it was bad but not the problem. Did some checking, here the plastic tubing crumbled! So I pulled the refer forward as far as I could without taking it out and shored it up with 2x4's so it wouldn't fall out. Went out side, took the plastic vent off, got a measurement, made a tubing out of 1/4" copper tubing, then crawled in the vent hole, mine is a little bigger than most and I don't have a beer belly, got it all hooked up, put everything back. Got to Florida, turned on the ice maker, could hear it grinding but would not make ice, ordered up a new one, now I have a ice maker and a whole new system. If it isn't one thing, it's another!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #24

Had a ice maker (I had to repair the water line also by cutting out a cracked piece and adding a new longer piece) in our 2000 Allegro and loved having fresh ice for drinks. Traded it in last August for our Georgetown which does not have one.
Really missed it first couple of trips out. Columbus Day weekend went to Nashville for eight days and bought ice trays at the Dollar Store, made two bags full of ice, put trays in cupboard and life was good. Next spring do plan on buying a counter top unit for outside because we still use a cooler for beer and beverages on longer outings and I hate having to buy a bag of ice everyday or so.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #25

water probs.

I had my toilet fixed?? and now the water does not come into the bowl. I don't see and valves on outside of toilet so where are they? Also asside from the drain valve for the fresh water tank is there an overflow tube on the bottom side as well. I have allegro bus with 90 gal tank It is used and I am trying to get things ready. Please help.
busfab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #26

busfab3, thats funny, had my Georgetown in for service on the toilet flush seal in September and now water won't come into my bowl either. Dealer said they'll replace toilet. What are these dealers doing?
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
When I got my motor home my ice maker wouldn't work, replace water valve soleniod, it was bad but not the problem. Did some checking, here the plastic tubing crumbled! So I pulled the refer forward as far as I could without taking it out and shored it up with 2x4's so it wouldn't fall out. Went out side, took the plastic vent off, got a measurement, made a tubing out of 1/4" copper tubing, then crawled in the vent hole, mine is a little bigger than most and I don't have a beer belly, got it all hooked up, put everything back. Got to Florida, turned on the ice maker, could hear it grinding but would not make ice, ordered up a new one, now I have a ice maker and a whole new system. If it isn't one thing, it's another!
Ditto for me except how I found what the problem was, I saw water coming out of the fridge access. Pin hole spraying in compartment. Issue I had that night was the furnace below also got wet. We were in the mountains and the furnace wouldn't cut it. I took the covers off and the motor had water in the bottom of the squirrel cage. Middle of the night the furnace came back on squealing like a banshee. I had to have the motor replaced. Had the shop fix the fridge water line which also ended with replacing the ice maker. Total repairs that day? $850.
I felt I got off cheap cause I don't ever usually get out of the RV shop without spending at least a $1000. Sheesh. RV should be spelled YME!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote