Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1

Almost had a disaster!

Got set up at our site,and was about to go out for a while when I noticed water coming out of the fridge dripping on the floor.I first thought a jug of water had tipped over inside the fridge but that wasn't it,so i went outside to the back of the fridge and found that the ice maker hose split open and was spraying water everywhere. Thankfully I saw it before we left or it would have made a major mess and maybe caused some damage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #2

WOW! got lucky there.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
My ice maker feed hose has split twice but I don't know why. Both times the carpet next the fridge got a little damp but no damage. Now I have a coil of 1/4" tubing, the brass hose inserts and ferrules hanging right by the fridge just in case.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That was a close call! Glad it worked out well.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good catch!

I don't do it but I guess that's why a lot of folks turn off their park water and pump every time they leave their rig for any period of time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #6

Hey RickO, hadn't thought of that, but I always shut off the water in the stick house when we leave on a trip, and as easy as it is to shut off the water in the MH, why not? That is going to be a routine for me in the future, kinda like insurance.

Thanks
Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid
Hey RickO, hadn't thought of that, but I always shut off the water in the stick house when we leave on a trip, and as easy as it is to shut off the water in the MH, why not? That is going to be a routine for me in the future, kinda like insurance.

Thanks
Happy trails
Jim
Water heater also... in case you get a leak.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Good catch!

I don't do it but I guess that's why a lot of folks turn off their park water and pump every time they leave their rig for any period of time.

Rick
Very good idea, I guess I'll have to give that a thought. As to your leak be thankful your observant.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macantic View Post
Got set up at our site,and was about to go out for a while when I noticed water coming out of the fridge dripping on the floor.I first thought a jug of water had tipped over inside the fridge but that wasn't it,so i went outside to the back of the fridge and found that the ice maker hose split open and was spraying water everywhere. Thankfully I saw it before we left or it would have made a major mess and maybe caused some damage.
Whew close call. The tip about shutting off water is one to remember.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #10

Thanks for the post, that is why I love this site. I will now add turn off water to MH.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #11

Yep, happened to me too, while parked at a campground saw small amount of water dripping from refer on to tile floor. Looked all over inside the refer, took the wooden air vent off below the refer looked under there with flash light, thought i was crazy because i could not figure out where this was coming from. Finally decided to go outside and take off the refer panel, and a tiny stream of water hit me in the face. The clear icemaker hose had a pin hole in it. So i cut off first two inches of hose and repaired. Got home couple weeks later parked coach in warehouse, plugged it all up and left for house, came back two days later and huge puddle of water on concrete floor under and around the coach. I immediately went to refer panel outside and opened, again water shot in face. Well i just removed the entire line and replaced with brand new line. So far so good The new line up against the old line was nice white/clear color, old line yellowish and some what hard, i guess the heat from the refer ages the line pretty quick.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #12

Ice Maker Hoses

Has anyone replaced the hose from the outside control valve into the icemaker? I found that mine had ruptured and any time the icemaker called for water it just flowed into the coach. I fiound it before any damage but was wondering if I can make the repair or if I need to take it to a professional. The hose looks like you would need to remove the icemaker in the refrig. to get to the inside fitting then snake it down to the outside fitting. Anyone?
barnettdwjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I shut the water off to the fridge/ice maker and removed the ice tray so I would have more freezer space .... For ice I bought a portable counter-top ice maker.... Makes 10 times the ice 10 times faster... Now have all the ice we could possibly need and more freezer space... Carry the ice maker in one of my outside compartments when we travel....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #14

When we had a big boat I remember reading the #1 cause of boats sinking was from water piped aboard. From that day I only used hose to fill tanks. I keep the same habit in the motor home. That limits max possible spill to 80 gal.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote