Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had this MH since August of 2014. I'm the only driver and our home base is in the northwest corner of AR.

We do a lot of traveling around AR with the WBGO club so that means we do travel a lot of 2-lane roads. We have taken the RV to FL, ME, MI, and TX several times so a good amount of 4-lane travel.

It's still the big city's and all the Eastern overpasses that cause most of the rough roads. There's a ton of small and large cities with many, many criss crossing roads. They all require a lot of over and under passes. They just can't get the transition parts between the roads and overpasses correct.

From our observations apparently this is a little know fact. Adding a large amount of tar and rocks to a hole only converts it to a bump and they are only slightly better. Usually the new bump is not as high as the hole or crack was deep. That would require more effort on the workers part and we know that won't happen. Maybe adding the correct amount of fill would require some math. That might require an extra worker. I don't know.

We usually travel between 62 and 65 MPH. Here's what I still find to be kind of strange. We currently have 34,926 miles on the RV and 692.8 hours of the engine hours. Do the math! That's 50.41 miles traveled every hour of seat time.

I've been doing this check since we owned the RV and it has been very close to the same every time it's checked. Even though I've never just driven 50 MPH for any extended length of time that's the average miles traveled every hour of seat time.

That also makes it easier to figure how long most any trip will take.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Interstate? Rare!

We have traveled by road coast to coast multiple times. Mother in FL, Kids in CA, lived in TX/AZ. Grew up in MI, lots of family in CO.

In most cases, 90+% of driving is on US Highways. Find them to be better maintained (by counties) than interstates (by states). The counties are much more responsive in maintenance for their local population.

The pic is our road trips so we have some data on which to base an opinion.

Interstates are too fast, they are full of distracted drivers (I trust trucks more than cars!), and they are so poorly constructed (ever feel every transition space between sections on brand new freeway? Even the inspectors are on the take! Can you say LA County?).

Ever take I-10 in LA or MS? Your repair bill should remind you. The US 98 will take you across both and in MS its 4 lane all the way. Wonderful road! No potholes-smooth pavement, pretty country.

You want your tires, suspension and overall rig to last? Stay off interstates!

Be Well, be happy, be on the road,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0706191041a.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	252355  
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #17

I well remember when there were no interstate roads.
Being raised on a farm South of Parsons Kansas my folks took us to the opening celebration of the first section of I-70 West of Topeka Kansas. In 1956
We had farms in Carroll county Indiana also so traveled back and forth all during the 50s and sixtys observing the creation of the interstates. Getting on the new sections then back off.
Traveling to Florida from Indiana or Kansas before any Interstate before any interstate to visit family serving after WW11 was quite an event .

And yes
There were some travel trailers on the roads then.

I think people were of a much different mental state as I recall.[emoji6][emoji847][emoji41]
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #18

How to plan route to exclusive 4-lane US highways?

If you prefer to stick to 4-lane US highways with minimal interstates, how do you best plan the route? Some popular mapping applications for phones/tablets allow you to de-select interstates, but not state highways or county roads (which I’ve noted are frequently less desirable in a big coach). I know that it's not alway practical or possible to use only 4-lane US. For a specific router example, how to get from Atlanta to San Antonio?
Old 07-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Do low bridges become an issue when travelling back roads? We are 13' tall.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Example

From Atlanta to SA, I would find the quickest way from Atlanta to the US 84. Go west and stay on the 84 to the US 281 to SA.

I have driven both roads and they are fine. Not 4 lane but enjoyable. You can also find many Natl Forest / BLM campgrounds that are free or cheap (especially with senior pass) during the weekdays (Sun-Thu) to stay in (check Campendium). See America! IT's YOUR BACKYARD, use it!

Watch in towns for the newer gas stations, they are bigger and have room for most rigs with toads.

No height issues. ICC regs require all bridges to be 13'6" for trucks. That has been true for years and in my travels (see map) I have never had a problem with a low bridge.
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #21

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.
Charles Kuralt
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Yes, it is called Yellowstone with all those cruise america RV drivers that don't know where their side of the double yellow line is.
Yosemite too! And for some reason, you never see to see a rental Class C without it's mirrors extended out to the maximum!!

We actually had a small scratch in our paint, as we were following a rental Class C as it was going East out of Yosemite towards Tioga Pass. The person driving was terrified on the skinny roads of Hwy 120, and was over the center line more times then I could count, especially in curves. I told my DW that I was backing off quite a bit, as I was uncomfortable with what I was seeing. Well within minutes, another rental Class C, with it's mirrors fully extended - met the unit I was following in a curve. BANG, both driver's side mirrors impacted. The gent coming towards us, window down, got a cut on his forearm. We had a piece of the mirror hit the front of our coach... Both of the rental Class C's stopped where they were - in the middle of thier lanes. Got out, and then we started to see a difference of cultural exchanges between them... I got out of our coach and walked up to them and confirmed everyone was OK. Then said from my view BOTH OF YOU were too close to the line... Suggested they each take care of their own damage, and to move on... To not a minor accident ruin a trip. The one gent was a bit exasperated with me, and I said sir 'I've followed you all the way from the valley, you were over the line as much as you were in your own lane - especially in the curves. If you want to wait for a Park Ranger, I'll share that with the Ranger.' I again repeated that from my perspective, they were Both too close to the line, and that their mirrors were way too extended for the roadways they were on. Finally the both agreed to cover their own damages, and we were back in motion again. In 5 minutes, peak summer time (Not the time we usually are in the Valley - but other family members were meeting during their vacation time, and with school out - so you know the routine!) - both lanes were backed up quite aways.

At the bottom of the pass, yep a stop a Whoa Nelly(SP) at the Mobile Station, the gent I had followed walked up to me and said thanks, that he knew he was over the line, and was frightened of hitting a tree with the passenger side. I helped him adjust his passenger side mirror in quite a bit, and still have good visibility. He bought a travel mirror at the stations gift shop, and we MacGyver'd it so he could get some visibility behind him on the driver's side. He was heading towards Reno, and suggested he call a Fleetwood dealer on his way North (Wife would do the calling.) and see if he could locate a replacement mirror.

We exchanged emails, and two days later we heard from him that $197 later, he had the unit replaced the same day. (I told him I thought that was a good price.). He was from Toulouse, and when they finished thier 3 weeks of travel and were home - he sent me another thank you email, and said it really was a trip of they'll remember the rest of their lives!!!!

My info sharing story is almost over! But dang it, I wish that the places that did the rentals of Class C's, or whatever, would take more time to help people get their mirrors adjusted to them, for traveling... And IN as close as possible, as opposed to seemingly out 2' on each side!!!!

Best to all, travel safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #23

Depending upon many factors, we use both Interstates and smaller highways, as we travel. Same reasons already mentioned by many.

And yes, more character can be seen on the smaller highways. But using the I15 example, you can still travel the interstates, and see some beautiful country. Leaving Las Vegas and heading towards Salt Lake - you hit some very nice scenery along the drive... As just that one example. The rolling hills of Wyoming on I80, is another area for both winds, and scenery...

No right or wrong, and suppose many of us use both, depending upon the variables!

Travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

It's still the big city's and all the Eastern overpasses that cause most of the rough roads. There's a ton of small and large cities with many, many criss crossing roads. They all require a lot of over and under passes. They just can't get the transition parts between the roads and overpasses correct.
You go outside look at the ground where it meets the home foundation. Because the hole was dug, the wall formed and poured, then forms pulled then hole refilled, it is common for the ground settles. Now it well take somebody smarter than I to fix it.
One thing I hate is when a hiway is broke up at every expansion joint. The state comes in, saw cuts on each side, and pours back. Call it cutting out one bump, putting in 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.
Charles Kuralt
'62 my great grandparents asked if I could go to California with them. Mom said yes, they bought a brand new Ford. (Not sure Mom understood I would do most of the driving) That winter, another old man in the general store asked about the trip "Good good. After we got out of the county we did rest of trip on hard roads."*"But strange people out there. We cook inside, and go out to. They cook outside, and go in to "
*At the time it was quarter mile of dirt road to the gravel, and 6 miles to the nearest paved road. Now the gravel goes right past the house, and if you turn the other way you get to a paved road in about 3 miles
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote