Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2016, 08:39 AM   #1

Question Aluminum roof what did you use

I am thinking of sealing my roof it has never been sealed it is made out of aluminum. What have you sealed your coach with and or what would you recommend. I have sealed all the edges and vent's I am interested in doing the whole roof . Thanks for your input in advance Paul
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Okay so I have been searching the web and found a product from home depot. THE PRODUCT IS MADE BY lanco #RC 865 elasomeric white roof coating .Has any one used this product ? is it a waist of money?
Old 11-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just get up on the roof as many times a year as I can to wash and wax it. I use a good car wash n wax then apply a paste wax such as Turtle Wax or Mothers. In fact, someone just paid me a compliment as to how clean and shiny my roof was. By keeping it clean and polished its easy to spot any potential problems and deal with them.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
Okay so I have been searching the web and found a product from home depot. THE PRODUCT IS MADE BY lanco #RC 865 elasomeric white roof coating .Has any one used this product ? is it a waist of money?
I used a similar product from Lowes on my Holiday Rambler (aluminum roof). Worked fine, remained cool to the touch, stayed clean, sealed minor imperfections, adhered well to caulk. I considered it worth my time and money.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I used a similar product from Lowes on my Holiday Rambler (aluminum roof). Worked fine, remained cool to the touch, stayed clean, sealed minor imperfections, adhered well to caulk. I considered it worth my time and money.

I see in the description it is silicone based .I have used dicor self leveling lap sealant around all the edges and vent's ect... will this product adhere to it and vise versa if I have to do the edges again???
Old 11-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
I see in the description it is silicone based .I have used dicor self leveling lap sealant around all the edges and vent's ect... will this product adhere to it and vise versa if I have to do the edges again???
Can't speak for the manufacturer but I used it with Dicor and Eternabond on seams and didn't see any problems in the 2 years I observed (RV was sold after that).
Old 11-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
I am thinking of sealing my roof it has never been sealed it is made out of aluminum. What have you sealed your coach with and or what would you recommend. I have sealed all the edges and vent's I am interested in doing the whole roof . Thanks for your input in advance Paul
steppinstone,
Just wondering, since you say your roof is aluminum, I would assume it's ONE PIECE, correct? That is, it's one piece from end to the other and from side to side? If so, Aluminum is a solid substance. Why, would you want to spend money sealing it, if there's no way it can leak in the first place? If you've taken the time and energy to re-seal/caulk all the edges, seams, vents, and anything else that is an edge, surround or straight seal, then I would think you've covered all the bases.

My old '89 Ultra Class C Ford had an Aluminum roof. Re-sealing/caulking all the above mentioned items is all that was ever needed. Never leaked at all, in 11 years of ownership. Just wondering.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you have a hole punched in it, the only way moisture can get in is around fan, vents, etc. These problems should be addressed with Eternabond at the edge of roof and front and rear caps. Dicor self leveling caulk around anything protruding from roof.
I've got a 2000 Holiday Rambler. It has an aluminum roof. When I bought it it had a strip of Eternabond running lengthwise down the middle so there must be a seam there. Just keeps the seams and edges caulked and or taped. There is NO NEED to ever seal the aluminum roof.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Our first used Minnie Wiinnie class C had the aluminum roof. Thought the aluminum would be the way to go but boy, was i wrong. It ended up corroding to the point where little pin holes developed in several places. From what i read, this may have been caused from moisture somehow getting between the insulation and roof, causing the corrosion to come from the inside out. I ended up kool sealing the whole roof which seemed to take care of things, at least for the remaining time we had the rig. I'm sure there are products out there now that do an even better job than that Kool Seal of yesteryear.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If the aluminum sheet itself is getting pinholes or corrosion, you can coat it with any "mobile home" roof coat product. You don't need the special stuff made for EPDM rubber that is more common on RV roofs.

But unless the metal sheet itself is bad, all you need do is touch up or replace the seams and edges around the protrusions through the roof. Use any exterior grade caulk compatible with metal roofing (which is just about all of it). The Dicor used with EPDM roofs is also excellent for this, and Eternabond or similar roof seal tape works too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #11

Hello , Thanks for the input everyone .The MH is a one piece sheet of aluminum from front to back. This is a 28 year old coach keep in mind the po did keep it in great shape. I was on the roof yesterday clearing off a couple of small twig's and getting ready to put the cover on it for the winter. As I stepped off the latter on to the roof I noticed water there so I got a closer look and noticed oxidation in the aluminum and 2 very small pin holes. So I got down on my knees and went over the whole roof looking for any imperfections I only found it by the latter a 2'x2' area. I went in to the house and got some eternabond tape and sealed the 2 pin holes because we are expecting rain here today and maybe tomorrow I don't want any water damage.. That corner is the only area on the hole roof that has any oxidation I think the way it was stored that the water pooled to that corner. The way my luck has been this season I don't think I can take any thing else happening to the coach. So I was looking to see if anyone on here has used a great product to seal a aluminum roof . One of the reasons I purchased this coach was the roof material and the wall construction. I didn't want any wood just in case there was water penetration rotting wood pita!
Old 11-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Hello , Thanks for the input everyone .The MH is a one piece sheet of aluminum from front to back. This is a 28 year old coach keep in mind the po did keep it in great shape. I was on the roof yesterday clearing off a couple of small twig's and getting ready to put the cover on it for the winter. As I stepped off the latter on to the roof I noticed water there so I got a closer look and noticed oxidation in the aluminum and 2 very small pin holes. So I got down on my knees and went over the whole roof looking for any imperfections I only found it by the latter a 2'x2' area. I went in to the house and got some eternabond tape and sealed the 2 pin holes because we are expecting rain here today and maybe tomorrow I don't want any water damage.. That corner is the only area on the hole roof that has any oxidation I think the way it was stored that the water pooled to that corner. The way my luck has been this season I don't think I can take any thing else happening to the coach. So I was looking to see if anyone on here has used a great product to seal a aluminum roof . One of the reasons I purchased this coach was the roof material and the wall construction. I didn't want any wood just in case there was water penetration rotting wood pita!
steppenstone,
You have good reasoning to think the way you are. A question or two. One, when you walk around on that roof, does it, the aluminum sheet, feel "beer canning"? That is, can you feel that aluminum sheeting "pop" every now and then? Or, does it really feel solid? The reason I ask this is, if your roof is like the roof on many toy haulers that, yes they are aluminum but, only barely thicker than a beer can, then yes, they can develop pin holes.

But, when you walk around on that roof, it feels like it's not flexing in any way, shape or form and feels really solid, then it could very well be like the coach I described in my first answer to you. Ours was an '89 Class C "Ultra" 27' motor home with an aluminum roof. But, that roof was one solid piece, that did not flex one tiny bit. It was around 1/8" inch thick. That's why I stated you should not have to seal the entire roof.

But, if yours is the ultra-thin aluminum, well, it's your choice to add a complete coating to it, to help ease your mind about whether or not, potentially more "pin" holes might happen and or cause you issues.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

OK, so you do already have corrosion damage. Definitely time to coat it all, then. Any of the elastomeric roof coatings sold in places like Lowes or Depot will do fine. I usually suggest Kool Seal or one of the Henry's roof coat products. They are well known and respected brand names, with many tears of success in roof products.

Henry's has several quality (warranty time) grades, so you can trad off price for length of service. They offer anywhere from 7 years to a lifetime warranty in their various elastomeric roof coatings.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

Thank's for the help everyone I will have to hit the store tomorrow. Anyone have any idea how much to purchase the roof is 36' long by 8' and how many coat's ? I was thinking 2 coat's what's your opinion ? Should I do more?

Tags
roof