Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The other thing about the 1.5 bath floorplans is most have the extra toilet in the very rear. Behind a sliding door. Tucked in with a lot of things like W/D and an extra sink. You just kind of carved out about 4 foot there... they are usually very nice with plenty of quality wood and nice showers.. I think if you really want to find something like that you will have to involve someone like MHSrv or some of the larger brokers (and pay a $) after a period with little success.

But, I'm a firm believer in getting what you want. You wont be satisfied otherwise - and nothing is worse than living with something day in and out that you aren't happy with.

And tier iv emission systems operation has a lot to do with how its driven.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 03:51 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think most bath and half floorplans came about to make it possible to get to a toilet without extending a slide and thus being able to do different things with the floorplan. But my wife and I still think the half bath is a waste of space and we don't want an extra bath to keep clean. If and when we trade up it will be for a floorplan with a single bath, a king size bed, and descent sized kitchen and storage.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Take a look at the Winnebago Journey 40U. While not a bath and 1/2, it has a split bath, shower/vanity on 1 side and toilet w/sink an mirror on the other side. This set up allows both of us to be able to get ready in the AM with no issues. It's 40' and with the 4 slides there's plenty of room and the power gear slide system is almost bullet proof. This unit was made from 2011 till 2015.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #18

The question is not if you are too picky, but is it really reasonable to find your very specific criteria at the price point you want to pay. Is there "a" coach out there that fits your criteria is one thing, then the question becomes, once you see it, is it really what you want. And just what is it going to take in time and effort to find that perfect coach at that price point.

In just casual browsing of used coaches, it seems to me that to get a DP in the $125k-ish price point, there are significantly more to chose from that are 8-12 years old vs. your 5-8 year old expectation. And if you find one that is 5 years old, the next question is "why?".

In my much greater experieice in efforts to buy various used sports cars over the years, I found that what I thought I could find at a specific price point, most often, (almost always) did not meet my overall expectations. And in reality, I usually ended up buying something new that was different than what I started out looking for.

It really got to the point, where my wife would say, "fine, go look at it and buy it if it's what you really want", knowing full well that it was never going to happen.

Only once, we actually went to look at one car together, and she got that "OMG this car is perfect" feeling, but in the end, it was almost $10k more than I really wanted to spend. So, yes, it was a perfect car, other than I just was not willing to pay the price at that moment. Should I have spent the money, yes, I should have. It was the "one car" I let get away, and in the end the $10k was a mental budget expectation, not something I could not have afforded.

At one point, I also found what I thought was a perfect car that I had been looking for, but the timing was a couple months off as we (OK, I) had decided to get a new practical car instead of another sports car. The car was owned by an enthusiast that was well known by other friends, and another good friend of mine bought it. But you know, in the end, he ending up dumping even more money into it than I would have ever been happy about doing. In fact, I would have been pretty POed about having to spend what he did in the few years he owned it, but it really was just the reality of owning that kind of vintage car.

Many more stories, but I think you get my point. Buying used can be a taxing, patience testing effort, and can quickly become a very tiring effort that becomes no fun. What many people call "great condition" is in reality, a piece of garbage for various reasons (and why is it, that it seems 80% of RVs for sale say "no pets" when 80% of RVers have pets). Pictures often don't do a lot of good either. And if you do buy one, is it really what you think you got. On the other hand, there are some great used vehicles out there, but they may be outside your price expectations, and only you can decide if it's worth it once you find the "perfect one".

At some time, you may have to alter your priorities, which is quite different than being too picky.

As for our coach, which is our first RV, we really had, and still have no need or desire to have an older DP, and we bought a new gasser 2 years ago that we are very happy with......... Oh, once we saw the Tiffins, we knew our original budget was out the window, but we felt it was well worth it to just pay for what we really wanted......

Good luck
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #19

Thanks everyone for all the great replies. It's always valuable to get other opinions and perspectives when making such a big decision.

D&S, you have some good advise. Altered priorities are sometimes necessary. We did exactly that when we bought out boat almost 7 yrs ago. We had to increase what we expected to pay by almost twice to get what we wanted and are so glad we did.

In this case we will not pay much above the aforementioned $130,000. We still must sell our boat first so we are still in the looking stage. However if the perfect coach just happened to come along, we might move on it but right now we'll just keep a sharp eye out.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #20

We are also "recovering boaters", since we sold our Carver Mariner and then got into Motorhoming. We find this lifestyle to be much more relaxing, and I tell people all the time that "I can dock this thing in any kind of weather"!
As far as your search goes, you may find a 2008 without a DPF, since Cummins banked a lot of credits with the EPA from their smaller engines, and did not need to comply for a while. Our 2007 Tiffin is one of those and we are happy with it, though our next one will be a 1 1/2 bath. ......Enjoy your search!
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #21

Our prior coach was a 2011 Phaeton 40' QBH. We went where ever we needed to go and loved the bath and half. We would still have it, however, we needed a coach that would tow 12,000# and have the ability to carry a 1500" tongue weight. We traded for our current coach which also has the bath and half. We still like the floor plan after three years of travel. Keep searching and the right one will show up.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH and love the floorplan. We love having the bath and half, especially when we have guests or family staying with us. We have version with the entertainment center/ fireplace because one of our requirements was a TV directly across from seating area. Don't understand all the floorplans that require you to look sideways to watch TV. We've looked at many other RV's at the shows and continue to like what we have better. 2013 probably out of your price range. We've had no issues with new clean diesel technology and like it. Earlier year Tiffin's had the "big three issues" so verify they were repaired. If not familiar do a search. Our year had none of these issues.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
We have a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH and love the floorplan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our prior coach was a 2011 Phaeton 40' QBH.
My wife loves this coach (QBH) and me too, but I'm a little concerned about the rear axle weights. The freightliner chassis has a rear GAWR of 20,000 which according to some folks limits what you can carry, especially with the washer and dryer on the rear axle. Anyone care to comment on this?

It does seem that most 40' coaches in the mid level tier have front GAWR of 12,400 and rear of 20,000 using the Freightliner chassis, so this is not unique to Tiffin or the Phaeton series.
I noticed the Fleetwood Revolution and American Eagle using the Liberty chassis has increased axle weights and GVWR. These are slighter higher tier coaches.
I just wonder if I'm being a too concerned about these weights. Most folks with 40 ft coaches seem to be OK with this, I've just heard some say it's something to watch out for.

Yup I'm the kind of guy who likes to do tons of research. Just asking.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 12-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
My wife loves this coach (QBH) and me too, but I'm a little concerned about the rear axle weights. The freightliner chassis has a rear GAWR of 20,000 which according to some folks limits what you can carry, especially with the washer and dryer on the rear axle. Anyone care to comment on this?

It does seem that most 40' coaches in the mid level tier have front GAWR of 12,400 and rear of 20,000 using the Freightliner chassis, so this is not unique to Tiffin or the Phaeton series.
I noticed the Fleetwood Revolution and American Eagle using the Liberty chassis has increased axle weights and GVWR. These are slighter higher tier coaches.
I just wonder if I'm being a too concerned about these weights. Most folks with 40 ft coaches seem to be OK with this, I've just heard some say it's something to watch out for.

Yup I'm the kind of guy who likes to do tons of research. Just asking.
If you are doing research then why not a Tag? this will give you the ride - the space and the Weight you are looking for, and we have never had an issue with a place to stay vs the places we stayed in the old 37".

Just one added thought - JMHO - bath and a half is a Waste of space and Resources, Focus should be on Heating system/air Conditioning - Insulation - and life style items.

Best of Luck in the search,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Isaac. Move your year back to 07 or 08 and avoid the DPF and DEF. When you move the year back you can also move the model up a notch.

One issue with the bath & 1/2 coaches is the kitchens are small. Even the cabinets and pantry are small. We started in that direction and then decided the large rear master bath was better for us.
Good luck hunting.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:35 AM   #26

I met a fellow who just purchased a Dutch Star while traveling in California for two months this summer. It was a 2002 with 19,000 miles. Always stored indoors and looked like it just came from the factory. Paid $20K for it. There are a lot of these units out there, just takes time to find one that suits you. A friend just bought a 2016 DP and used it one time. His cat didn't like it and it rained every day. Selling for half price to get rid of it. 330 miles total.
Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 03:26 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
His CAT didn't like it?😪

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
If you are doing research then why not a Tag? this will give you the ride - the space and the Weight you are looking for, and we have never had an issue with a place to stay vs the places we stayed in the old 37".

Just one added thought - JMHO - bath and a half is a Waste of space and Resources, Focus should be on Heating system/air Conditioning - Insulation - and life style items.

Best of Luck in the search,
I agree a tag would solve the weight issue, but right now I want to stay at or slightly under 40'. Several reasons for this, cost of tires, maintenance on the tag, and again I want to stay at 40' for park size restrictions. Not many tag 40 footers around.
I just like the 1.5 bath models so right now we're sticking with that. I may change my mind on that, if so many other coaches become available, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I agree with Isaac. Move your year back to 07 or 08 and avoid the DPF and DEF. When you move the year back you can also move the model up a notch.

I agree, the Fleetwood Revolution 40 E in '07 or '08 is a strong contender. I actually haven't seen one though, just not a lot around right now. I'm patient though.

One issue with the bath & 1/2 coaches is the kitchens are small. Even the cabinets and pantry are small. We started in that direction and then decided the large rear master bath was better for us.
Good luck hunting.
I have not seen any coaches with a aft bath and no half bath mid coach.

We did look at a Tiffin Phaton 1.5 bath and it seemed to us to have about the same kitchen and salon space as their other coaches in the same length. We did notice however the 1.5 bath had less closet space in the MBR due of course to the bath back there. The downside of the 40 footers with 1.5 bath is the rear axle is pretty close to it's GAWR right off the assembly line.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV