Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #15

you can let her sit in the driveway tweaking and fixing up things and always wondering if something is going to break.

Or you can go enjoy yourself and find out. This is the option I always pick. Its more fun than looking at her from the driveway.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #16

Only other items you didn't mention were tire & battery age? How many miles on your new to you MH.?
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Only other items you didn't mention were tire & battery age? How many miles on your new to you MH.?
Battery's are a year old ties brand new. Just took brand new 6 year old ones with 3000 miles on them off and installed these.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
you can let her sit in the driveway tweaking and fixing up things and always wondering if something is going to break.

Or you can go enjoy yourself and find out. This is the option I always pick. Its more fun than looking at her from the driveway.
So true.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
Good to know that you're also part of the CLAC.

And...ahem....Pictures!
Soon.....very soon.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
When we purchased ours we cleaned it up I added the tow system to our suburban Blue Ox with SMI AF1 checked the fluids. Within a couple weeks we headed out on a 1500 mile trip. I felt pretty good about it as the PO had done a good job on maintenance and was still using it on a regular basis. No problems on that trip. And now 3 years 18,000 miles later still tweaking and fixing things just like a house there is always something to do.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Not cray, wished I did half that. Bought ours, did a safety inspection, one weekend trip and called it good. Then took off for a 600 mile trip through the mountains for a weeks stay in the middle of nowhere and no cell reception... made it! After a year of use we started the what is going to break this trip... you are doing great!
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have just gone through a similar restoration. Had a weekend shake down trip after coming out of the repair shop and had a ton of problems show up that I knew nothing about. After waiting weeks it is back in the shop again.

With no time for a second shake down trip....I have a 3-1/2 week multistep trip planned that we cannot cancel. Will be taking a risk with unknown problems again.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED from past breakdowns: Keep your tool box, flairs and a couple orange cones in the passenger side compartment.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
When we purchased ours we cleaned it up I added the tow system to our suburban Blue Ox with SMI AF1 checked the fluids. Within a couple weeks we headed out on a 1500 mile trip. I felt pretty good about it as the PO had done a good job on maintenance and was still using it on a regular basis. No problems on that trip. And now 3 years 18,000 miles later still tweaking and fixing things just like a house there is always something to do.
Glad to hear yours worked out good hoping ours does as well.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
Not cray, wished I did half that. Bought ours, did a safety inspection, one weekend trip and called it good. Then took off for a 600 mile trip through the mountains for a weeks stay in the middle of nowhere and no cell reception... made it! After a year of use we started the what is going to break this trip... you are doing great!
I would have tried something like that if this coach had not sat for so many years. And luckily we did the once over as the hydraulic cooler developed a leak in route to my friends shop where we were going to check it out. On the road that could have been ugly.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
Thank you appreciate the vote of confidence. I think at some level with an older coach that fear of what is going to break might always be there a little bit. A few good trips under my belt and I'll gain more confidence.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
I have just gone through a similar restoration. Had a weekend shake down trip after coming out of the repair shop and had a ton of problems show up that I knew nothing about. After waiting weeks it is back in the shop again.

With no time for a second shake down trip....I have a 3-1/2 week multistep trip planned that we cannot cancel. Will be taking a risk with unknown problems again.

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED from past breakdowns: Keep your tool box, flairs and a couple orange cones in the passenger side compartment.
Great advise. I do keep tools and can do most things short of major repairs. I was lucky in that I did not have to go to an expensive diesel shop or RV place. My friend owns a very large excavation company with on staff mechanics. The cost is a 1/4 what I would have had to pay elsewhere and I can fiddle and learn while it is being worked on. Good Luck on trip stay safe!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #27

Just a quick little update. We leave this coming Wednesday afternoon after work. We just picked up our Toad so it has never been hooked to the coach. The coach was suppose to come out of the paint shop tomorrow but it is running a little late so not until Monday now. I have no time Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday during the day due to work. Monday night is out as we have an engagement we can not cancel. That gives me Tuesday night to hook it all up and give it a test before heading out Wednesday night. Hope all goes well.