Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #113

Sorry to hear that. On the other hand … Cody is kind of a cool town to look around in (I also recall it has great views). Also, knowing you, I have faith you will be back on the road in no time!

Where are you scheduled to stay at glacier? When we were there we stayed at the koa West glacier (nice campground, very accessible to the park). If so, for groceries/supplies, go in to Columbia falls - there is a well stocked and affordable super 1 off of hwy 40. Flathead cherries should be in season - they are not to miss treat! Also, gotta buy some huckleberries from the roadside stands … very fragile, but also a teal treat!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Sorry to hear that. On the other hand … Cody is kind of a cool town to look around in (I also recall it has great views). Also, knowing you, I have faith you will be back on the road in no time!

Where are you scheduled to stay at glacier? When we were there we stayed at the koa West glacier (nice campground, very accessible to the park). If so, for groceries/supplies, go in to Columbia falls - there is a well stocked and affordable super 1 off of hwy 40. Flathead cherries should be in season - they are not to miss treat! Also, gotta buy some huckleberries from the roadside stands … very fragile, but also a teal treat!

We made it out of Cody. Here is the post with all the breakdown details.

We are staying at West Glacier RV park for one night and Mountain Meadows fro 2 more nights. Then we are headed out the east side for some horseback riding. Then its the journey home across the plains

I was able to score a ticket today to the Road To the Sun in Glacier! Pretty excited to make that drive!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210804_180526643.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	338399   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210804_155243032.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	338400  

Name:	PXL_20210804_180532744.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	338401  
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:57 PM   #115

Good you were able to keep moving... but then again I had no doubts! Enjoy glacier!
Old 08-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #116

We made it!

I could have swore I posted this already but maybe I posted it in the wrong thread?? Anywho, here is it again.

We made it home with no more issues! Was able to make it into Glacier (only to Avalanche Creek as larger rigs are not allowed past there on Going to the Sun Rd) Did some amazing hiking. We found I think just about the only parking spot that would fit us.

Drove around the Hungry Horse Dam area as well on the East side up to St Mary and back home on Rt 2 all the way to MN. All in all was some pretty epic RV driving.

Trip recap:
10 days
3446 miles
409 gallons of diesel
8.41 mpg (even with running the generator for at least 20 hrs and lots of mountain driving)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210809_001745999.MP.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	519.5 KB
ID:	339584   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210806_003645256.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	645.2 KB
ID:	339585  

Name:	PXL_20210807_160407715.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	526.1 KB
ID:	339586   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210807_184535698.jpg
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	339587  

Old 08-14-2021, 04:15 PM   #117

Awesome ... Glad it turned out to be just an inconvenience . Love the can do attitude and a bit of luck finding a great shop with the same. Handsome family .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #118

What happened to your beard? [emoji4]

Like I said, glacier is beautiful (we took exactly that same photo at the lake with the falls in the background!). I thought you had a toad? Are you going to configure to tow with this new rig?

Rt 2 all the way, huh? I would not have thought about that …. Will need to scope that out
Old 08-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #119

Monaco Owners Club
I saw the initial post when you were contemplating purchase but since then never took the time to see what you've been able to accomplish. Today I finally scrolled through the post looking at the progress, a significant amount of work in a short time.

You (like many other people on this forum) have a lot of talent and can take a rig that has been written off and bring it back to life.

Congratulations, you have a great rig that will serve you for years to come.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:24 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
What happened to your beard? [emoji4]

Like I said, glacier is beautiful (we took exactly that same photo at the lake with the falls in the background!). I thought you had a toad? Are you going to configure to tow with this new rig?

Rt 2 all the way, huh? I would not have thought about that …. Will need to scope that out
Rt 2 is wonderful. Can’t be in a hurry. 2 lane roads. Quaint RV parks. Stayed in one that the office was a bar. We went and had a drink with the locals. It’s been a while so don’t know if it’s all the same. Pretty rural. Can’t imagine it changed too much.
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #121

Foretravel Update

Its been a bit since my last update. It has been a VERY busy Fall, work projects, other vehicle maintenance, kids activities, and squeeze in a bit of RV love when time allows. I am trying to get as much done before the snow flies. (Which could be any day now in MN)

One of my maintenance priorities was flushing the coolant, new water pump, thermostat, and serpentine belt. I was able to get that done over the last few days. I really wasn't quite clear about if I had the double thermostat or just a single. I also wasn't sure what gaskets I was going to need. My online research and FT Manuals were conflicted in these areas. Upon disassembly of the components I learned that I had one large thermostat #3913028 and could only find the gasket for the filter housing to engine, 3 hole gasket #3913025. The top inlet elbow, 2 hole gasket I decided to just make my own with some paper gasket material I had laying around. I was a little nervous it would leak but it ended up working great.

With everything taken apart I unhooked the lower radiator hose from the radiator and flushed the whole system with garden hose to start. I continued unhooking a few other hoses and making sure I had a good flush. Next I put back the thermostat housing and water pump. Put in the new belt, hooked all my hoses back up, and installed a new Donaldson #P129472 air filter and gasket.

I filled the system with distilled water to try and flush out any leftover minerals etc from my tap water flush. I started and ran the motor for awhile until I could feel hoses starting to get warm. I shut it down and let the coolant system drain again overnight. This morning I was able to get the Cummins filled back up with Final Charge coolant. I did a 50/50 mix with distilled water. The first gallon I added was an undiluted gallon of concentrate to offset any water trapped in the system. With the system drained from the radiator and block drain ports it takes exactly 14 gallons to fill back up including the overflow jug.

With everything topped off and put back together I took it on a little test drive. There were two reasons I wanted to get this flush done before winter. One, I was a little concerned with the higher than 180 temps I was seeing at the dash. I have been seeing 195+ depending on heat and grade of climb. Two, I plan on taking this south for a winter trip in February and want to make sure things are in top shape ready to go on subzero trip.

The test drive deemed itself successful and resulted in a change in temps. I watched as the temp rose to 180 hoping it would stop there. It continued to climb past to about 190 (hard to tell exactly on the factory dash temp gauges) but then I could see the thermostat open and the temp drop back down. It kind of cycled and continued to do this throughout the test drive. I feel good about it. Back at the ranch I parked and checked for leaks. I did notice a slight amount of seepage from the water pump. Hoping that was something just working itself in and will stop, I'll keep and eye on it.

While I had everything apart I took the time to do a little paint job. It drives me nuts how the new water pumps are not coated. When installed they just turn to surface rust quick. I put a little jazz into it and went for copper color. Also put a fresh coat of black on the thermostat/filter housings.

I forgot to mention before I started the project I sprayed down the engine area with degreaser and gave it all a good spray down. It looks pretty good for a quick wash!

Next on the agenda is rebuilding the furnaces. I ordered new motors (they were both really loud) and some backup spare parts. I purchased a control board, limit switch, and sail switch. These have all failed on me in prior RV's leaving me without heat. Now I am prepared!

Also on the list before the next big trip/winter:

-Figure out driveline vibration (per a different thread sounds like bearing -retainer on the retarded
-Tranny filter fluid change to 668
-New self leveling caulk on the roof
-Oil change
-Fuel Filters
-Rebuild 2 large blinds (strings)
-Start swapping lights to LED
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	347383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Bay Cleaning.jpg
Size:	498.6 KB
ID:	347384  

Name:	Water Pump Painting.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	347385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump Installed.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	347386  

Name:	Thermostat Install.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	347387  
Old 10-28-2021, 07:17 AM   #122

As usual, i am amazed at everything you are able to work on. Where did you learn this stuff?
Old 10-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #123

Thanks!

I grew up with a Dad that was very hands on jack of trades. He was an electrician but wrenched on his own vehicles. I helped him install a motor and various other projects. When turned 14 I was really into cars. I started buying and fixing them before I even had my license. By the time I was 18 I had owned over 20 cars. I learned most everything from trial and error and repair manuals early on. Now google is everyone's best friend.

I am now a general contractor doing residential remodels and additions as my day job. I do a little bit of everything. I am also putting final touches/landscaping on the new house I personally built for my family. I stay busy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	House Before.jpg
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	347430   Click image for larger version

Name:	House During.jpg
Size:	556.1 KB
ID:	347431  

Name:	House After.jpg
Size:	479.4 KB
ID:	347432  
Old 10-28-2021, 08:29 AM   #124

Nice house. I like the porch ... great place tohang out and sip some coffee (if you have the time!)

I would try to do more myself on my rig ... but i dont really have an effective/safe way to get underneath the thing, and without that, the clearance underneath is only six inches or so in some places...
Old 10-28-2021, 01:32 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar53 View Post
Rt 2 is wonderful. Can’t be in a hurry. 2 lane roads. Quaint RV parks. Stayed in one that the office was a bar. We went and had a drink with the locals. It’s been a while so don’t know if it’s all the same. Pretty rural. Can’t imagine it changed too much.
US 2 is 4-lane divided highway until Glaicer NP. from the Mississippi river.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
US 2 is 4-lane divided highway until Glaicer NP. from the Mississippi river.
I don't think that is true. I just drove it and I don't think it opened up like that until ND coming from Glacier. Maybe my memory is foggy but I swear most of it was 2 Lane.

Edit: I was really curious so I just looked on Google maps. Yeah it was two lane all the way until Williston North Dakota.

Tags
travel