Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 06:10 PM   #15

If space is not important, why not just get a diesel 4wd truck camper? That's what we've had for 40+ years and it works well off road and runs 70+ down the interstates. As mentioned, I think you could be disappointed with the highway performance. You could always ask the seller some questions about this.

Before we moved from WV to OR in '74 I had bought an International 4wd, about a 1 ton size, school bus to use locally (100 miles or so) as a camper to get to the places I hunted and fished. Not long after buying it I got a job in OR so we used the bus somewhat as a moving van to get us there. I fashioned a hitch of sorts to tow our Opel wagon and off we went. At 50 mph the engine sounded like it was going to come apart at any time. It took us 6 days to make the trip, and I drove nonstop the last two days. After learning that things were spread out a bit more in the West than back East, I sold the bus not long after we got there and later got a TC. I would be sure the truck in question would not be similar to the bus I had, and perhaps it isn't as it is a lot newer.

It is a cool looking machine though.

Best of luck.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #16

Seems kind of odd it does not have dual wheels in the back. That indicates to me that it may be limited on weight capacity and not have a strong enough suspension for the conversion so you want to make.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
Yes but all the other features would be cool, laying it out right inside should have all the room I would need, very small kitchen, twin beds and a wet/dry bath is all that I would need.

Traveling now with my motorhome we rarely use the couch and spend so much time outside the RV we wonder why we have such a large motorhome, we never plan to fulltime.

It would have a cool rear deck that goes up and down..

Towing capacity 10,000 lbs ?
Jackreno,
The problem here is, you're asking folks that are more than likely, not that much of either off roaders or, in any other description, non explorers. Here's a site that, if you haven't been on it, may interest you in terms of how things are done, what's to be expected, what you may or may not want in a situation like what you're thinking about.
Scott
https://www.globalxvehicles.com/
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out the thread "Total Rebuild". Some great ideas and details of how to covert to a Totr.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #19

I'd pass- DAMAGES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO ***BAD INJECTORS, ENGIN E GOING BAD***

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/...8AFBPI18648009
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO Fred View Post
Seems kind of odd it does not have dual wheels in the back. That indicates to me that it may be limited on weight capacity and not have a strong enough suspension for the conversion so you want to make.

Those rear tires look like what they call "super singles" which are a replacement for dual rear tires. Some of the semis are running them now if you pay attention. How well they work and how much do they cost I have no idea but they also won't let you limp to a truck stop to change a tire. Just some things to think about.

Now for the real question: "Why does the OP want this rig?" He say's he doesn't go off road. If he wants it for the cool factor that's one thing. He will be giving up reliability and probably longevity and serviceability for the coolness to say nothing of gas mileage. To me it looks like an eminently impractical vehicle for his use. If I was thinking about going overland from Europe to Thailand it would likely be a good choice. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will disagree, heck they already have.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #21

You haven't come up with a valid reason to do this project project other than you think it would be "cool" to have. When you had a Jeep to go off road, you didn't. It doesn't sound like your wife is chomping at the bit to go into the wilderness for an extended time. If you did complete it, I suspect the suspension is designed to haul a much heavier load than what you would have. That would result in a very rough ride. A rough back woods trail requiring 4 wheel drive would really shake the "house" and contents.
These are just a few of the things that come to mind if I were going to attempt it and they do not address potential repairs to the chassis itself.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:30 AM   #22

Sure, looks good, though I would consider a similar setup 4x4 Rescue Ambulance as a base unit instead as they tend to already have a lot of the house side stuff, generator, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I have been thinking of downsizing my 33 foot Bounder in 6 months or so but just came across this.

Help me decide should I go to Cali and buy this now before its gone or should I pass, doing the conversion would not be a big deal for me but I know nothing about diesels, it does have a automatic and 4x4.

What would the MPG be on this anyone have a clue..

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvd/...228243018.html
Well I'd go for it, I'd offer them about 15 grand less than what they're asking. Have a good inspection on everything pay for yourself not from them. I'd be very leery of a dealer that says they treat you like family :-) most family will cut your throat and s*** down your neck. But I digress. It looks like they did a lot of over painting on the chassis to cover up rust so have it checked out real good if it's worth it to you then do it. The single-wide on it are probably good for off road with sand and desert running. Make sure you get a spare the build-out would be incredibly fun to do make it the way you want oh, the size of the box is fine it's not like you're making a house to live in Forever. If you got the money the talent and desire do it. You're only here for a short time if you screw it up who really gives a crap, just sell it to someone else. Good luck
ksmobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #24

I guess the only real question here is how will you be using it when it is done. If you intend to do short trips into the boondocks then it is a perfect machine for that. If you will be doing a lot of highway to get to where you are going then probably the wrong truck. Sit back, think about it, have a serious conversation with DW about whether she is up for that type of camping and then make your decision. If the choice is to go highways from campground to campground then find an older Bluebird Wanderlodge ( built like a tank on a million mile chassis ) and you will have a great base to start with. Check it out on the Wanderlodge Owners Group.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #25

I’d bet it would ride real nice.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #26

They detailed it real nice that's for sure. I'd like it a lot more if it already had a generator. A door from cab into the box would be nice. I think the ride will
be harsh. It looks to me like it use to be a supply truck for the forestry service or something. You seem to have the ambition, but I wouldn't pay anyway near that price for it. I'd offer them 20K and that's it.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I'd pass- DAMAGES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO ***BAD INJECTORS, ENGIN E GOING BAD***

WOW nice find, thanks for that link, I was only on the fence of going this route but with the wifes in put and other factors I decided I will move on to something else, so it appears this car company bought it even cheaper than the GSA auction, cleaned it up maybe fixed the injectors and trying to pass it off to the overland off roaders to convert..

Snakes...
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I'd pass- DAMAGES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO ***BAD INJECTORS, ENGINE GOING BAD***

WOW I agree run from this. They say the engine is going bad!!!!!
That would be 20,000 or more to replace the motor.
sure you can get a JUNK YARD MOTOR much cheaper but I would
never trust a JUNKER as a replacement motor.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motor