Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Interesting subject Rick! Always looking for new ideas!

Really just wanting people to show off their American ingenuity with like minded folks.

Thanks

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Another good topic Rick! Would using a propane torch to light a campfire qualify? Since I carry small propane bottles for the grill I added a torch head and use it for a fire starter.

I made a tool so I could remove the primary fuel filter much easier, does that fit into your topic idea?

Yes, love those trigger torches, especially for lighting fireworks.

Yes, anything that would help others.

Feel free to post pictures if you think others will understand.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 PM   #17

The sawdust/diesel fire starter is a really hot idea! I'm going to try that.

Very similar to a Girl Scout trick we used to teach our girls (6 troops, volunteering at the remote camp and managing the county Girl Scout program). Our method we would teach them was to use dryer lint, saw dust and candle wax. We used to volunteer to change all of the candles in church so we could end up with the small pieces of candles that were left over. We would melt the wax and mix in the lint and sawdust and pour it into wax paper lined ice cube trays. It would work great with a little kindling on top. But sawdust and diesel is so much easier.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
How about a tool that will shut up the neighbors yapping dog, then pick up the dog poop when the stupid owner pretends they didnt see rover take a crap. You would be rich for sure.

I have seen an electronic device that senses barking and sends out a high pitched whistle that humans can’t hear.

Try setting up motion cams and turn those jerks in.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
I don’t think this is an amazing invention, but I took a wooden broom handle and cut it down to 40”. I screwed a hook into the end of it that I use to pull my air tank drain lanyards inside my front wheel wells. I also use it to grab items deep inside my basement. In the other end I glued a rubber boot. I put that on the side of the coach and mark off on the stick where my slide outs come. I use this as a measuring stick when I pull into a camp site to ensure that my slides don’t hit anything when they come out.

I like having a hose on the passenger side of the coach, so I attached a length of 1” pvc under my coach right in front of my rear axle. I put quick connect fittings on each end and a “t” with a plug for draining. I use a gated “y” at the spigot. One side goes into the coach, the other connects to the qc. I also have a qc on my black tank flush so I just switch the hose when I need to flush. I have a 50’ hose on the pass side with qc. Sorry no pics, I sold the Coach. Will do the same on the new one.

Those sticks with hooks do have a million uses.

I like the gauge stick idea too.

That’s a very elaborate set up, sounds like it works great.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot about that "modification". I use the awning pole that I've marked the slide out lengths on, and marked the length of the two cargo doors that I need to open to get to the electricity and water compartments. I put a short piece of vinyl hose on the one end to place against the paint. It never seems to amaze me how many times we get perfectly parked and that one water cargo door just, just just hits the campground water post making it hard to get into that compartment. Now Sharon has a way to make sure all things can be opened without hitting trees, branches, and odds and ends of campsite things.

I was at the end of the campground once near a steal fence, tried leaving as much room as possible for the patio area, but that meant the 3’ slide on the back side was almost against the meter base with no room to walk through.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
I found a small pump sprayer is very handy to squirt windshield washer fluid onto the windshield of the coach and toad, plus it will reach the backup camera so I can clean it. I also carry my own squeegee for those fueling stations that have none, or broken ones or short handled squeegee.

Great idea! I use the pump sprayer that fluid comes with but it doesn’t work well in the wind. I have some of those same bottles, if anyone is going to try this Still makes some nice little sprayers at mower supply shops.

I also use my own squeegee with a brush on the back on my own pole, that used water is nasty and always runs down the pole on to your arms.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Rick, I apologize in advance if I've misinterpreted your post.

HOWEVER

My advice to ANYONE who has developed an item that may have commercial value is to not work with ANYONE until and unless they have gotten a provisional patent or copyright (whichever applies), in their name alone, in advance.

There are LOTS of people and companies out there who offer to "help" inventors bring their items to market who in reality end up, shall I say nicely, absconding, with said idea and the original inventor gets nothing.

An individual or company with a legitimate offer to help market an idea will have no problem if the original developer has taken basic steps to protect his/her invention . . . .

. . . not so legitimate people will drop it like a hot potato once they find out that the developer has protected him/herself.

Not saying that is what you are doing, just curious why you aren't interested in "helping" people who already know how to protect their idea . . .

Yes, if someone has a really great idea and is going to invest the time and expense on a patent, they should know better than to share any information until they are legally protected.

This thread is just for fun and help, no need to join along if ones ideas cannot be shared.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I use a garden hoe to push the pads under the levelers and then pull them back out. Works perfectly. Reshape it a bit and rename it and you've got a money maker. It also stores perfectly in the tool bay along side the water take.

I’m hearing a theme here, sounds like an adjustable pole with removable attachments might be the trick for many uses.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
I use a propane torch to light my cigars. Best windproof lighter out there.

Pro tip: Make sure you're sober.

Yes, I’ve done the same, burned a hole in my cowboy hat once, but the wind didn’t have a chance.

I love a good cigar! My favorite was Oliveros, platinum box pressed, then they discontinued them.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
This device is more for trailers,but I built a powered up and down 20' flagpole that can be tilted down to ground level to attach flag and is lit up at night with a dusk to dawn sensor as a trigger.......3 section telescopic, and use a remote to operate....whole thing stays mounted next to ladder...and also fab'd up a lever that lets me open the screen door without sliding the slider open to reach factory handle.....was under $5.00.....

I like the pole idea, the store bought ones are a little pricy.

I too hated the door latch design, I ended up ordering the plexiglass panel with integrated, spring loaded button from a newer trailer design, more like $25.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,

This may or may not have ever been suggested on here but, I've got one that I devised a long time ago. I've been using this for years and it's always worked flawlessly. It's ANOTHER way of lighting campfires. I kind-a play a small guessing game with some of the seasoned vets we camp with that are first timers for being with us. When it comes time to get a fire going for a relaxing evening, I bring out my remedy.

I open up a clear plastic jug that's about 6" x 6" x 8" or so high. And, I ask the first timers to smell what's inside. Mind you, some of these boys are aged pretty good and, have been around. Many have a puzzled look as they smell it and, suggest all kinds of answers.

Well, in all reality, it's very, very simple. It's nothing but, SAWDUST and DIESEL The mixture is simple. You fill this empty container about 3/4 or more full of regular sawdust. Then, dump in about a cup of diesel. Now, put the lid on it and, sit down for about a few minutes and tumble it over/under/around etc. 'till the mixture is all uniform. No need to add a ton of diesel. About that much is fine. You don't want or need a gooey mess. When blended and mixed right, it still will be flakey particles like regular sawdust, only with a wetness.

We have carried this mixture for years, about 25 to be close, and it's worked flawlessly for hundreds of campfires. And no, for you chemist police out there, your motorhome is not going to blow up 'cause you're carrying this mixture. The diesel comes from a gallon jug that is used when I change my fuel filter and empty the old fuel filter into it. The sawdust comes from, well, CUTTING WOOD.

How it's done:

I simply chop up some kindling and lay a few sticks of it in a checkerboard pattern. I then get my mixture and sprinkle it on top of that checkerboard kindling. You don't need much, just sprinkle it around. Then, add more kindling 'till you think you have enough to get a good starter fire going. Now, you can use a match, tiny butane lighter, a rolled up piece of paper, whatever to start that mixture going.

And, contrary to using any other volatile liquid, i.e. GASOLINE, it does not flare up and present a potential for danger or injuring someone. It just slowly starts to flame. It doesn't smoke, it's not a foul odor, and, burns long enough to get all the kindling going with no re-starts. And, it works in some windy and wet conditions. From then on, you add your larger wood. The good part is, this will store, in your m/h compartment for ever, and won't deteriorate the container and risk damage or danger.

It's a long description for a small product that aids in starting campfires but, a full picture is now presented.

Scott

I guy I worked for once did this but in a wheel barrel in his backyard for fires.

I like the portability idea and using the wasted spilt fuel from filter changes.

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 PM   #27
OCM

For the people " Down South". carry a bit of "fat lighter", from the stump of a pine tree. A small piece of that will start a fire you can burn a wet mule with.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
For the people " Down South". carry a bit of "fat lighter", from the stump of a pine tree. A small piece of that will start a fire you can burn a wet mule with.

Yes, sometimes come across a good batch and store it in a ziploc bag.

Never tried the mule though, I’m sure it’s good.

Thanks

Rick

Tags
vent