Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Amber light on steps

Had to have our steps replaced a few weeks back and just noticed the new steps have an amber light on them, behind the steps. Can't figure out why it is there and what it would be used for. Has to be a reason.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Community Administrator

It’s should be on when the steps are extended. You’ll appreciate them at night

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's a dim light so that the steps are visible even when there's little or no other light.

For example, if the dog needs to be walked at 3am, you might not want to turn on your porch light and ruin your night vision. Or if you get up early to watch the sun rise and don't want to wake your neighbors by turning on a bunch of lights.

If you only ever stay at the type of campground that's well-lit 24 hours a day, it probably seems pointless, though.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schad View Post
It's a dim light so that the steps are visible even when there's little or no other light..
It is also a standard part of current steps from Kwikee and turns on when the step is fully extended and off when the step retracts.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing you always had one there and either never noticed it or the bulb was burned out. They've been using that round amber light for probably 15+ years on steps.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 PM   #6

The light is a nice safety feature .

When we setup camp I lock out the stairs in the extended position . Then the light goes on and off when the door is open and closed .

Since I've changed all the lights to LED in our coach I replaced the incandescent bayonet bulb in the stair light with a LED bulb.

Be sure the stair is locked out / turned off before changing the bulb . If the stair were to retract while changing the bulb it could result in serious injury.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2005 Diplomat, I bought two 12" led strips at Walmart in the automotive department and tapped them into the amber light wiring. I attached the strips just under the edge of the step opening. They illuminated the steps nicely.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #8

Actually Don,
Kwikee's had that amber light for well over 20 years. We had it on our '99 Fleetwood Bounder. And, that light operates differently, depending on which way the step switch is set. If you have your step switch one position, that light will remain ON,as long as the door is open. If it's in the other position, that light will turn itself off, around I think 5 or so minutes after the door remains open. It's been a bit since I messed with it but, I'm pretty sure those are the operations of it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #9

For a good while my '93 has one. I figured it was amber because bugs don't seem to congregate as much around amber lights.
But Dutch Star Don has now fouled that all up with his LED light idea. Pretty sure that I HAVE to add those myself now. I put reflective safety tape on the outer edges but I'm sure LED's will be even better. Our steps are otherwise black and DW isn't blessed with great night vision.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #10

Ditto, you will appreciate the light at night returning to your coach.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies everyone. Mine light is either not hooked up or I don't have it turned on (and wouldn't know how to turn it on). We have been in one place for the last month after having it replaced and it certainly isn't on while the steps are out, which they have been since we parked, and they don't turn on when the door is open. Guess I will have to get on my back and take a look.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

I know my coach is far and gone all kinds of different from yours but mine has a switch for that light. Mine seems to turn itself off with the steps retracted no matter what I do with the switch though. What manuals I have make zero mention of any of that.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Scott, many companies wire those differently, to activate under different conditions. It may only come on when you turn the porch light on. You may also want to check the buttons in the door frame that are activated when you open and close the door. Pull them out, make sure they work and are still connected.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Scott, many companies wire those differently, to activate under different conditions. It may only come on when you turn the porch light on. You may also want to check the buttons in the door frame that are activated when you open and close the door. Pull them out, make sure they work and are still connected.
Hey Don,
Well, I suppose that different RV manufacturers could and possibly do mess around with those step lights to make them activate under different conditions. However, mine, on our present coach, the Itasca Horizon, are and do act just like the ones on our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V. And that is, that little amber light would come on each time the door was opened, as it's supposed to. And it will turn OFF when the door is closed. And, there are situations (as in when the step switch is placed in either ON or OFF) that the light will stay ON.

I never really liked that weak amber light. Its purposed is to light up the area *vaguely* around or behind that step area if you had/have no other lighting. Sooooo, I decided to change that light. I installed two LED lights under there. That resulted in waaaaaaaaaaay better lighting. Now, not enough that you needed an arc welding helmet as you approached the area of the steps, but definitely better than that weak light.

Then, I took it one step (no pun intended) further. I'd already been messing around with LED strip lighting in other areas of the coach so, I had some left over and decided to play with in and around those steps. I put a strip of them under the front lip and, one under the door jamb to light the top step. The ones I originally did under the back side are still there. But, without a doubt, I really like the lighting now, than before. It was fun routing the wires so they would not get pinched when the steps opened and closed but, were not hanging all over the place under there searching for something to rip them apart.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040063.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	319278   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040064.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	319279  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040065.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	319280   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040061.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	319281  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, steps