Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American coach tradition suspension problem

I am back with another problem that I hope someone out there can help me with. My 2006 42R has a combination hydraulic and air suspension and leveling system. I very rarely use the hydraulics for leveling since the air leveling works just as well for me in most cases. Also, I sense that it is easier on the frame since less twisting would happen when using the air bags vs the jacks. One of the hydraulic lines for the leveling system decided to break at the connector closest to the box just above the power gear hydraulic oil reservoir. At this point I got an alarm on the power gear / valid pad in the cockpit. I was able to patch and duct tape the line until I made it home. I lost a good deal of fluid and replaced as much as I had to help make it home. So, no problems getting home other than the annoying alarm. Coach rode as smooth as it normally does. Does anyone know what the hydraulics have to do with the suspension system? I think I only need / use hydraulics with landing gear which I really don't use.
I have to replace the 1/4" hydraulic hose for the driver side rear jack as that is the one that is bad. Shouldnt I be able to drive the coach and just not put down the gear until I get the hose replaced?
Hope someone else out there with the same combination system can help me out!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The hydraulic leveling system has no effect on driving the coach as long as they are all the way up. The air leveling system is another story as the same air bags for leveling and ride height for traveling are used. Good luck with getting the hose replacement, fill up the reservoir and the alarm should go off. Keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I purchased the hose today from napa for 49.98 which included new connectors. Planning to have it installed on Friday. At that point I will add transmission fluid to the tank, start the coach and hope that all is well. Not sure how if I need to do anything special for the left rear jack which is the one that uses the hose that was replaced. We will see.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Power gear

All my hoses have swollen at the connecters, must be infereror hoses,no help from manufacture. no more Power Gear for me.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Be aware that if these hoses fail while you are on the road, you will have to listen to the warning buzzer all the way home or until you can get it fixed. What year is your coach? Mine is an 06 and I very seldom use the hydraulic leveling. Maybe that is why it gave way. Like anything else when it isn't used, it fails!

Tags
suspension