Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
AMPS vs VOLTS

I always keep one of these in the rig- https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It will tell me the voltage on one branch anytime. I keep it plugged into an outlet on the kitchen counter. I can also use it to measure amperage going to the MH if I plug into a 15 amp outlet. Get one of these and watch the voltage to see if it's changing, and if it goes down, unhook the charge line to the batteries. This will tell you if the charger is kicking in and causing your problem.
Good Luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
. ....Get one of these and watch the voltage to see if it's changing, and if it goes down, ........
I think you meant current?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 AM   #17

If this is going to be a long term requirement, have an electrician install you a 50 AMP service.

I have a 2003 Expedition and I have noticed the variations in the AMP load and mainly attribute it to the Inverter/Battery charger.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the option of running your 50A cord all the way to the receptacle and adapt there, it will reduce the amount of line loss. I've had to learn this lesson the hard way
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
For those suggesting running 50A to RV outlet at house, I had considered that already but I would need about 70 feet of 50A extension cord to do that. That's the closest I can get to the panel. I'm selling the house, sounds like a lot of expense for short term.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
For those saying it's because my batts are charging, why would they only charge when I turn the portable AC on? I don't get these fluctuations/steady increase any other time, but the RV stays plugged in 24/7 (I normally run small fans in the RV to keep air circulated, only 1-2 amps ever register even with a few lights on).
Old 06-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wish it stretched that far :( the outlet I'm plugged into IS closer than if I create an RV outlet at the breaker panels and try to plug in there, but I still need an extension cord.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #22

Again, not an expert but wouldn't an air conditioner draw more amperage when temperature rises and head pressure goes up? That would account for why the amperage goes up gradually.

I believe GearGirl stated in her opening post, that temps were getting over 100. That little AC unit is going to be working hard in those temps.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #23

Plug ac direct into extension cord see if it works later plug rv in and let charger bring it back up to normal
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I think you meant current?
No, I meant voltage. If voltage is dropping, that's a bad thing. Too much load for the wire size.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
A couple of observations, you stated you are moving shortly, in my opinion that says use an extension cord, it will always be usable. Just be sure it is rated for 50 amps, at 75 feet you are going to need 6 gauge wire (assumes at least 25 feet of coach cable giving you a total length from the plug/power box, in excess of 100').
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Power = voltage x current. So if voltage goes down, current must go up to compensate. Extension cord or plugs may not be up to the task.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Power = voltage x current. So if voltage goes down, current must go up to compensate. Extension cord or plugs may not be up to the task.
Not if there is resistance in the wire. The amps are spent creating heat. You get less of both.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #28

There is always resistance in the wire. I would be monitoring the voltage at the RV end or in a socket in the RV. If the line voltage is dropping then check the voltage at the other end of the cord and make sure the problem is not the house supply.

I don't feel like running the numbers but there should not be much drop on #12 wire with 12-15 Amps. It should not be generating enough heat to change resistance significantly after a few minutes of stabilization. If there is heating it will be at the plugs so give them a feel and see if they are getting hot.

As the temperature rises the A/C is working harder to cool the interior. I would expect to see that as cycling *unless* I had a high efficiency unit with a constantly running variable speed compressor. If that is what you have then what you describe is proper operation. RTFM on the A/C model.

I'd be inclined to get one extension cord for the RV as you will likely need it some time. That would let you use a shorter cord between the big cord and the outlet. That would reduce the line drop.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote