Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2018, 05:16 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back to the subject the original poster asked about, for years we've used the third valve method already mentioned. These valves are available for about $15 at almost any RV supply store. They work great, just install with the valve closed, open both of the stock valves that come with the RV and let gravity do the rest. We wait until our grey water tank is almost full before opening the grey and black water valve so the grey water flows over to the black tank. An added benefit of doing this is the grey water does a good job of helping to keep your black water tank cleaned out. When dumping at a dump station, I let the grey water flow to the black tank, then I close the grey valve, open the third (extra) valve and let the black tank empty into the dump station, I then close the third valve and open the grey valve again and repeat the process about 3 times. Meanwhile my wife is inside running water down the sink drains to replenish water in the grey tank to use during the dumping. Once my black tank is flushed out good, my wife stops running the sink faucets, and I drain the grey tank, fill up the fresh water tank and we are done.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
I seem to be stuck on this elusive grey tank thing.......is it hiding behind a wall or what? I only see a long somewhat narrow black colored tank in my sewer bay. Where is this much spoken of grey one?
Attachment 194136
In the picture you supplied, the hand pull valve on the left is for your grey water tank and the bigger pull valve on the right is for your black water. Grey water generally refers to the water from your sinks and shower, black refers to toilet. RVs have 2 tanks to hold used water. Some manufacturers are now draining sinks and toilets into the same tank, especially bath and a half model RVs.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
In the picture you supplied, the hand pull valve on the left is for your grey water tank and the bigger pull valve on the right is for your black water. Grey water generally refers to the water from your sinks and shower, black refers to toilet. RVs have 2 tanks to hold used water. Some manufacturers are now draining sinks and toilets into the same tank, especially bath and a half model RVs.
I understand about the two valve/levers.
Again I ask, where is the actual grey tank at?
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Follow the pipe that the smaller valve is attached to, it will lead to your grey water tank.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If you follow the waste pipe, it looks like it would be on the other side of that wall to the left. Or maybe that pipe makes a 90 degree turn upward just at/past the wall panel, and the grey tank is above your black tank.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Here's what you need:

Twist On Waste Valve, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

This valve twists on the bottom of your y-pipe, where you would attach your slinky. Twist it on, close the twist-on valve, open your full gray tank, this fills your y-pipe with gray water. Now open your black tank. The gray water flows into your black tank. Count 12345, close the black valve, close the gray valve. THis only works if your gray is mounted level or above your black tank. The y-pipe stays full of gray water, the twist-on valve stays closed and connected until you get ready to dump. Then, you twist your slinky onto the bottom of the twist-on valve, open the twist-on valve, then dump your tanks as usual. Once the dump is complete, you can twist off the twist-on valve, or leave and cap it. BOOM. Clearance issues may apply, but obsiously the twist-on valve can be closked four ways.

And yes, dumping gray on the ground is illegal in some locations. Do this first.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
And for more fun, use this valve to back flush your black tank with gray water. Attach twist-on valve, attach slinky thereto, inserted into drain. Open twist on valve and open black valve. Dump black tank till empty. Close twist-on valve, leaving black valve open. Open gray valve. Gray water fills y-pipe and back flows into black tank. 12345, close gray valve and open twist on valve. Black tank empties again. Do this several times, till gray is empty or you are bored, then close black valve, open gray valve till gray tank is empty. Close all valves.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:52 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
And the word you're looking for is gray.
G r e y is English,
g r a y is American,
simple.

Gray vs. grey - Grammarist
Old 02-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #24

We used the gravity system with a third valve on our last TC for 20+ years where the tanks were at the same level. Now we have a 26' class A with the black tank stacked on top of the grey. Gravity there would produce some undesired results methinks.

My current plan is to use a 12 volt pump I got from HF to transfer from the grey to the black tank. The pump came with a short piece of garden hose intended to be used on the suction side of the pump. I am going to cut the hose in two appropriate lengths, add female fittings to the cut ends, and attach the suction end from the pump to the fitting on the dump valve cap. Opening the grey valve should provide fluid to the suction hose while the dump valve cap keeps it from going on the ground. The discharge hose will go from the pump to the black tank vent. I found a plastic fitting at a hardware store with the same ID as the OD of the vent and with a male garden hose fitting on the outside. I am going to drill a hole in the vent pipe, cut the plastic fitting in half lengthwise and attach the half with the hose fitting to the vent pipe with hose clamps, using sealant between the fitting and vent to prevent leaking. The pump will be permanently mounted under the shower pan next to the vent and just above the holding tanks. I will decide how the 12 volt power will be set up permanently after first determining if everything else works. That is my "pilot" plan which may need some tweaking later on.

That is my solution and I'll find out how it works when the weather here warms up enough for me to feel comfortable working on it. If you can understand my gibberish, what do you folks think?

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
And the word you're looking for is gray.
G r e y is English,
g r a y is American,
simple.

Gray vs. grey - Grammarist
We're all from across the pond somewhere therefore, Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"
Unless the above was aimed at the original posters along with several others that went back and forth from grey to gray.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
"Gravity there would produce some undesired results methinks." Yeah, me thinks too, ich.
Sounds like your plan should work. How do you prevent overfilling the black tank? TLAR?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We're all from across the pond somewhere therefore, Pardon me, do you have any Grey Poupon?"
Speak not for me, I'm from America, and very proud of it.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.
You just brought back memories of my grandfather who was a high school teacher for 30+ years. He "drilled" that lesson into our heads on more than one occasion.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water