Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That by itself wouldn't prevent me from a purchase
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
Folks, thanks much. The fact that it is on the solar panel as well as the roof is my concern. Water does not stand on a solar panel. My thought was the possibility of staining from smoke???? There is absolutely no smell or staining on the inside. The stain is not as bad the further one looks from the hatch, it seems to thin. Perhaps the white roof adds to an illusion? Regardless, I've been around a while, I can't help but wonder if it is soot. A fire during production??
Thanks again.
Water may or may not stand on the solar panel, but dew will and that can collect dirt etc. My guess is there is a slight low spot in the curvature of the roof and it holds a bit of water in that area. Just give it a good cleaning and the question will disappear as well.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
It appears to me that the top of the Penguin AC is also slightly discolored, likely from the same dirt source.

So the rust you are seeing may also be just dirt.

Have them wash it off and take another picture for you if you are a serious buyer.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I was initially drawn to the evaporated water answer, but looking at it closer, I have to agree there is something odd about that roof. The stain on the solar panel and whatever is going on with that trim on the port side is puzzling. I would climb up there and take a few swabs to see how easily it comes off or otherwise get a better idea of what the deal is.

I do not think there is a fire involved. You would know that instantly from inside.
Yep, the only way to figure it out is to get up there. I repeatedly asked the dealer for a ladder and one finally appeared it was an 8 foot step ladder allowing me to get my camera and head just high enough to see the roof. Just seemed odd that it was so difficult to find one so I could get up on the roof?
Thanks all.
Skywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #19

Is this a brand new motorhome? We had a Newmar (highly recommended) but it didn't have that railing around it. Ours had a curved edge joining the sidewalls.

I agree that you should have the dealer clean it up thoroughly before considering it. and to check for low spots.

RE: the solar panel....yes, water can pool on it after a rain if the roof isn't perfectly level or even if the panel hardware isn't level, but it's of no concern because it'll evaporate fast and it doesn't affect the solar generation for that short period of time. It is good to keep them clean though.

Keep us informed on what you find out from the dealer.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suspect this coach was parked for some time under a tree branch or the edge of a roof that directed rain water to drip either on to or close to the the solar panel. This is a fiberglass roof, and I suspect the stain its just cosmetic. The difference in the two side rails is the passenger side is actually two awnings mounted on the brackets ( the shiny side) the drivers side is fiberglass panels.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #21

i think the reason is that is an opening vent and biological things escape the coach in the air and it causes the moldy area thats why it is away from the vent...ive seen this in many places when i was a builder..
Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
i think the reason is that is an opening vent and biological things escape the coach in the air and it causes the moldy area thats why it is away from the vent...ive seen this in many places when i was a builder..
My thoughts also. I was just on my roof to give it a good scrub and had the same type of deposits surrounding a roof vent. Everything came clean with a brush and soap.

Really nothing to worry about. It looks terrible but it is not a structural defect or a roof leak
Old 09-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #23

Folks, thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #24

Dirty Roof...

I have been parked in Michigan for three months and my roof went from white to black from the trees sap. I used the same thing I clean my house every year. 2 Gal mixed 50/50 with concentrated Clorox Outdoor Bleach from Lowes.$5.95 per gallon. Put the mix in a hand sprayer.Wet the whole motor home. just spray on and watch the crud run off without brushing....Do a third of the roof and rinse off at a time.Dont forget to keep the motor home wet so you dont get streaks down the sides. I do it the easy way!
97 TropiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
This picture is of a New Newmar 40ft. RV I am considering purchasing. I'm requesting opinions from you folks of what the black stain is around this rear hatch. It's the hatch around the rear lavatory. I'm also curious as to why the steel along the left side of the roof appears rusted since the right side seems painted and is a shiny black.Picture taken looking forward. You may also notice some of the stain is on the small solar panel as well. Thank you for your time.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
"New Newmar" How old is the NEW coach?

Or, how long has this dealer had this coach in inventory?

I would very specifically notate this on your Purchase Agreement making sure that your dealer warranties this and repairs any currently noticeable seepage.

Of course, it could be nothing more than the residue of rain water that has repeatedly dried on the roof - on this "low section."
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 AM   #26

Thanks for the info. and yes they have had it for some time. How long? I certainly don't know but when I saw it a couple of weeks ago it literally had cob webs growing on it from the unit to the ground. Another thing I noticed was a very large black stain on the ground from the generator running and, again, unit never moving. Living in a humid climate, as I do, we have mold problems all the time. There is a product called "Wet and Forget" one can spray on surfaces, after cleaning, that does a good job of fighting mold. I've seen it on the net as well as bought it at Costco.
I think they are hungry to sell it but how hungry is a big question.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm going to say it's mold and dirt and can be cleaned off with a good cleaner with clorox in it. I'm very impressed with the BriteTek roofing materal. It cleans easily and is quiet. My last 2 rigs had fiberglass roofs. The real issue is why is water standing on the roof instead of draining off?
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote