Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2022, 02:25 PM   #15

We do a load of laundry every day since the washer and dryer are small. I would rather do laundry at my leisure rather than go to somewhere and take time out of my day. It is so much more convenient, and I know what has been in them as opposed to not knowing if an RV park's W/D. We have the convection microwave oven, have use the oven part a few times in just over two years. It is nice to have for when you want to bake something. As others have said, only you and your lifestyle can determine if these are necessities or nice to have options.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had both an oven and a convection microwave in our first coach. Once we learned to use the convection, the regular oven was never used again. As for the washer and dryer, we wouldn't be without one. The DW does smaller loads when we are parked for a day or two and never have to use a laundromat where the condition of the machines is not always the best.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
An Option or Necessity?

For a 3-4 month trip I could do without the W/D but we aren’t laundromat people and are full time would prefer our own. Toss a load in every other day and watch tv read or go sightseeing. Did I mention We hate laundromats .. even the smell [emoji6]
We had a convection oven at our house and hated the lousy uneven heat cheap gas oven in or prior campers. The convection in the MH is all we use. The bonus is it is also a microwave to reheat the coffee! I would prefer a pot pan drawer where the gas rv oven is.
Old 01-31-2022, 05:52 PM   #18

I would not buy another rig without a w/d
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:31 PM   #19

We love our stacked washer and dryer. Loads are a bit smaller but about the same amount of time per "load" as at home. Our previous MH had the vented combo unit and while OK it took forever to do a load. Personally, we would not have another RV without a stacked W/D. We hate laundromats.

We haven't had an oven for a LONG time preferring that space for more drawers. Never used it when we had one. Convection/microwave for us.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:40 PM   #20
NXR

As others noted, it depends on what you prefer.

We have the combo washer/dryer for two adults. We use it every few days. Over the winter we're typically gone for four to five months. Last winter, and this winter so far, we have not used a laundromat at all. We also have a gasser and while the Splendide 2100XC weighs 145 pounds we still have a comfortable margin on our rear axle. Heck, I opted for a factory-installed 90-pound sliding tool tray that's even further back.

We can do laundry at our leisure, no scrounging for quarters, no hauling laundry only to find all machines are in use and no one is around, no wondering who washed what in that machine before us, etc. We can wash everything we have except for the heavy comforter. That would require a laundromat if the dog barfs on it or something.

Some people say they want the extra storage while we've found we can pack less clothing and we don't have dirty clothing sitting around for a week. If we spill something on the clothes we can wash it immediately. We dry bath and pool towels so they are not hanging around raising the humidity and occasionally stinking.

We have the vented model and most loads are dry in 60 minutes although some take 80 minutes. Bath and pool towels take 20 minutes. And we don't lose any time after the washer stops and before the drying starts because it's a combo.

We use the propane oven a lot and yes, we also have a convection microwave. We also have a great convection microwave at home, a GE Advantium. But my wife prefers the gas oven. Tonight we had chicken cordon bleu's and tater tots.

The washer/dryer, like the half-bath, were mandatory items for us when we ordered this unit.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 01-31-2022, 06:44 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
My wife would tell you the washer/dryer is absolutely a necessity!
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:02 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had motorhomes with ovens and never used them. I believe most people that have ovens don't use them. We have a washer and a dryer and do use them when we are gone for a week or more. When the grandkids are with us we use them everyday.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:05 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Full disclosure: IANALP (I Am Not A Laundry Person)
DW has told me NO laundromats. I suspect she had to visit many prior to me. So the W/D is a must. Happy wife, Happy life!
The microwave/ convection oven is great once you learn the operation. Drawback is one thing at a time and item 1 may get cold while item 2 is cooking.
What we could have done without is the dishwasher. Just the two of us so hand washing the dishes is quicker and (we feel) less water usage. YMMV.

Other than that, welcome to the forums and road.

Safe travels.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:23 AM   #24

DW is allergic to the smells in a laundromat. A W/D is essential for us.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:42 AM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
We wore out the combo W/D [took 19 years] Now have the stacked units. [WFL1300XD, & DV6400X ] LOVE IT [and the dryers now have a lint filter!
Avoid the laundromats like the plague..
Also have the gas cooktop/oven and the convection/microwave.. Many times I have both the convection/Microwave and the cooktop And the gas oven all going at the same time.
happy trails!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:47 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
W/D yes.
Oven no - especially with a convection/microwave.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #27

We did a 3 week trip last summer with my brother and his family. We have a Class A with a combo w/d, he has a 5er with no w/d. Every time we reached our CG destination I would throw in a load and go on about the business of relaxing, my brother would spend the evening in the CG laundromat. Needless to say his first purchase when we returned was a w/d for his rig.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #28

As you can see, the washer/dryer and propane oven are a mixed bag. Some folks won't have a rig with out them and some couldn't care less. It seems that most rigs come with convection microwaves these days. The only other option is see is staying exclusively at nudist resorts, it cuts down drastically on the need for doing laundry. It's not for everyone. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote