Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #43

tires

If original tires must be changed.to old
5 year rule.good luck
hgrnhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
I agree with this. Going up to I-90 will add miles to your route and i think heading south may avoid some winter weather. Check the national weather a day or two before you go and choose the best route. Weather tends to travel from west to east across the country so try to time your trip to go between storms.

If the weather across I90 is already starting to turn snowy i agree, BUT the recommendation to gothat way was based on much saner traffic conditions on that route (for a new driver would be much calmer) the only other option wiuld be to drop down to I40 through california ... not an easy navigation or traffic experience for a new driver. I would NOT take I70 through CO (traffic, snow, severe grades)
Old 10-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #45

That's a great RV. We have had our 2002 26Y for 20 years and traveled 74000 miles. We took 2 trips of 8600 miles in 12 weeks. If it is your first class A, take time to understand driving and every feature a d fubction.
Payson Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
One important point Iíve not seen emphasized is tire pressure. Make absolutely sure your cold tire pressure is correct. Short of getting it weighed and using appropriate tire pressure charts, use the tire pressures specified on the Manufacturerís ID plaque.

After the first few hours, youíll be fairly comfortable with where you need to be to stay centered in the lane. After that just remain hyper-vigilant about corners and tail swing both on corners and near gas station posts and other vehicles and obstructions.
MarvinG I've been really stressing over the tires. Thinking seriously about a TPMS but it appears to me that the valve stems (at least a couple of them) do NOT leave enough room to install the caps, let alone the flow through type that I think would be more convenient. My tires are 4 years old, have always been covered when not traveling, and have very good tread. I've been studying up on how to monitor manually but am still very nervous, considering the possible consequences of a failure.
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Another thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already, is to look into joining some sort of road side assistance service such as Coach-Net, FMCA, or Good Sam. Make sure to look into the ones that specifically cater to Motorhomes and not just automobiles. With the distance you will be traveling, you never know when some sort of mechanical issue or flat tire can arise...

Its like insurance, you never really like paying for it until you need it and have to use it!
Duane & Claudine Miller Thank you!
I did purchase Good Sam Road Side. I know it's a budget option but since I'll only be traveling for about a week I hope it will be adequate.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:57 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarcowboy View Post
Lelah We just bought a 2006 Terra a few weeks ago. Kids bought our TT and we found Terra online for great price and in excellent condition. Love it so far. Anyway...if you take the I90 route across S.D. we live around Sioux Falls close to the interstate. You need anything or a spot to pull off for the night, we have plenty of room. Up to you .. Just let me know. Prayers for your daughter and safe trip for you.
Tarcowboy That's exciting! I am really looking forward to getting on the road in mine!
Thank you so much for the very kind offer! I'm just now trying to figure on my route since winter weather is definitely starting here in the West. I will keep everyone posted and undoubtedly be asking MANY more questions!

Have you taken a trip yet?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
I just came back from Utah to.my home.off I 40 in Tennessee.

GET SOUTH AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I had snow and frost last week coming across Colorado on I-70 and driving a big rig is different than a car. Even after decades of.experience, snow and ice can be dangerous.and delay your journey.

God bless.
NeverGrowUp I am struggling with the route decision right now. The rig is still in the shop so the very soonest I can leave is Oct. 28. I've gotten some advise on here about the route but if anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears. It looks like dropping down to CA via I5 then over to TN on I40 will add about a day. If I have to do that I will, and may decide to to that anyway so I don't have to be stressing about weather for the first half of the trip.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
As one solo woman traveler to another - check out Harvest Hosts for convenient and safe overnight stays. I’ve had an excellent experience with warm and friendly hosts.

Four months ago I bought my first RV. I didn’t know a black tank from a grey, 30 amps vs 50 amps, 12 volts from 24. Didn’t know about solar panels, amp hours, DC vs AC. Was scared to drive on the road and cried bitterly in a large empty parking lot as I tried to practice backing up and failed miserably. Went over the curb the first time I made a right hand turn, almost knocked over a display of antifreeze the first time I pulled into a gas station. Drove with white knuckles my first highway experience, hugged the right lane, drove at a speed that felt comfortable, and prayed every time I had to change lanes and prepared way in advance.

But I didn’t give up and never made the same mistake twice. My desire to travel by myself was greater than any fears I had - and my fear was strong. I took many trips over these past four months, gradually going further with each one and forcing myself to do things I had never done before and didn’t think I was capable of doing. And oh yeah - I’ve asked lots of questions on this forum and have received kind and thoughtful answers (Thank you! You know who you are!). I now feel comfortable with all of the systems on my unit, as well as navigation, can back into narrow spots like a pro, and my knuckles are no longer white when driving.

I share this as one woman to another because I discovered there was a certain amount of ingrained behavior I had to overcome. I’ve always been pretty independent, but when it came to mechanical or dirty things I have to admit - my tendency was to rely on others, usually men. This has been an experience of liberation for me as I’ve come to realize how much I can do - as can you!

I use Trip Wizard for my initial planning. You can see road elevations at the bottom of the map. Although giving you “RV Friendly”’directions, I found there were many times it took me far out of my way when a more direct route was completely safe. I now start with Trip Wizard then compare the route with Google Maps. What’s nice about Google Maps is that the phone app shows a 360 degree street view of every intersection. Nice to know ahead of time what that will look like and the sort of roads you’ll be turning into. What’s nice about Trip Wizard is you can download all maps ahead of time - a real life saver if you lose cell phone reception. Trip Wizard gets played through the RV Life app GPS and will play on my car apple play screen. Also, both will allow you to drag the route onto different roads if you’d like to customize your route.

I just got back from a solo 8 day trip and traveled about 1000 miles. I was amazed how far I had come in a short period of time. I found the learning curve to be steep but the teacher in you will activate the student in you, and you’ll figure it all out step by step as each new question presents itself. As many others have shared, this is an excellent community filled with experienced travelers who enjoy sharing what they know. Ask your questions as they arise and enjoy the freedom your self-sufficiency will bring.

Wishing you safe travels and a heartfelt landing when you get to your destination. Let your goal of supporting your family be the motivation to pull you through any hurdles that may temporarily arise. You’re in for a life-changing adventure on many different fronts. May the outcome from all of it bring joy to your heart.
Souljourner: Thank you so much for your very inspiring message. I'm struggling right now with many of the issues that you mention so it's encouraging to know that you overcame them and are now enjoying your RV and the adventure.

Even though this initial trip is all about the goal of getting there and NOT the journey, I fully hope that I can eventually enjoy my little home-away-from-home to explore the country. I've always been an RVer at heart and fully expected to get a motorhome after retirement. Just didn't expect my daughter's health to be the reason for the purchase.

I did sign up for Trip Wizard but am having a pretty difficult time learning how to use it. I do struggle with technology. I'm trying to choose my route right now, as I'll hopefully be leaving in about a week.

Thanks again and many blessings to you.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:31 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
If the weather across I90 is already starting to turn snowy i agree, BUT the recommendation to gothat way was based on much saner traffic conditions on that route (for a new driver would be much calmer) the only other option wiuld be to drop down to I40 through california ... not an easy navigation or traffic experience for a new driver. I would NOT take I70 through CO (traffic, snow, severe grades)
MN_Traveler: Continued thanks for your input. When you say "drop down to I40 through california ... not an easy navigation or traffic experience for a new driver"
could you elaborate? There are quite a few options if I go that way to get from I5 to I40. Do you have a suggestion?
Old 10-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave View Post
That's a great RV. We have had our 2002 26Y for 20 years and traveled 74000 miles. We took 2 trips of 8600 miles in 12 weeks. If it is your first class A, take time to understand driving and every feature a d fubction.
Payson Dave: Thank you, this really makes me happy to hear! It was a fairly quick purchase based upon price/condition/urgent need. So I'm glad that it's a sturdy rig.

It is the first MH that is my responsibility. My husband and I had a Holiday Rambler many years ago but he took care of everything. This is just mine and I will be the one driving and maintaining it. It seems more than a little daunting to me at the moment.
I am getting to know all the systems now as fast as I can so I can leave for TN.

Would you mind telling me what that last sentence of yours was in your post? "take time to understand driving and every feature a d fubction."
Old 10-22-2021, 03:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
NeverGrowUp I am struggling with the route decision right now. The rig is still in the shop so the very soonest I can leave is Oct. 28. I've gotten some advise on here about the route but if anyone has any other suggestions I am all ears. It looks like dropping down to CA via I5 then over to TN on I40 will add about a day. If I have to do that I will, and may decide to to that anyway so I don't have to be stressing about weather for the first half of the trip.
My main thoughts for you, as a brand-new driver, dropping down into CA are traffic, mountain driving, and finding places to stop.

Heading south you will hit some pretty significant mountain grades, esp. south of ashland into CA, and then around Mt. Shasta. Learning to manage that, and general highway driving is a lot for a first one or two days .... doable, but will make for more stress. also, between Bakersfield and (roughly) Tehachapi CA, you will hit more significant mountain grades .... and those ones are both steep and very curvey. Again, doable, but a lot to learn on.

You should have a reasonable number of stop options until you hit roughly Redding CA, t hen you are kind of into the valley and things get busy, and stop options (incl. overnight I think, but these get better south of Fresno) become fewer (last time I drove that route, a number of years ago, virtually all of the rest areas were closed. not sure if they are re-opened....).

Traffic .... once you hit the valley, the lanes get narrower, the quantity of traffic increases a LOT, Once you hit I40 at Barstow, things get a lot easier all the way around .... straight shot roads, places to stop, RV parks open, etc. You just need to get through CA....

Re Tripwizard - I pretty exclusively use the Allstays App. It is as easy as opening it up in the morning (or the night before when you stop), selecting it to display RV parks (or walmarts), and then looking down the route you are taking for a place the distance you want to go that day. It will give you a line-of-sight distance to that location from your current location, so you can at least get a rough estimate of distance and plan accordingly, and/or call ahead to make reservations.

OH -GARMIN!!! I use the Garmin RV unit. ONce you program in your destination (city, specific RV park, whatever), it will give you a REALLY good estimate of arrival time (but you need to allow an extra hour or two for fuel and rest stops beyond its initial arrival time estimate). It also has a "on your route" feature, that allows you to see what is coming up in terms of rest stops and fuel options. I HIGHLY recommend it. I literally plan my morning departure time around the arrival time the Garmin is estimating (again, for a specific destination).

You will need to weigh your own comfort with north or south based on the pros/cons with your comfort of each (though I guess that goes without saying...). My own feeling is that if it is not actively snowing (and has not for a day), then the roads will have been pretty well cleared and are passable. If however it is actively snowing or icing condition, then you would need to be prepared to stop and wait out the conditions - but then it will be safe afterwards. There are plenty of folks who drive south from northern states in dec/jan/feb - but they pretty universally say you just need to wait for the conditions to clear (if needed). I myself have driven in sub-zero conditions a day or two after snow, and the roads themselves presented no problem. Like you have said, you will need to keep an eye on the weather as you get ready to leave....

Not sure if all that helps....
Old 10-22-2021, 07:29 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
MarvinG I've been really stressing over the tires. Thinking seriously about a TPMS but it appears to me that the valve stems (at least a couple of them) do NOT leave enough room to install the caps, let alone the flow through type that I think would be more convenient. My tires are 4 years old, have always been covered when not traveling, and have very good tread. I've been studying up on how to monitor manually but am still very nervous, considering the possible consequences of a failure.
Your tires should be good based on age and condition and while you need to be aware and alert, I donít think you need to live and drive in constant fear. TPMS would be nice and would be handy but I donít have them and have done OK without. Someone with real world experience will hopefully respond to your thoughts on installation given your parameters.

I have a decent but not expensive digital tire pressure gauge that I use ahead of a trip and generally use before starting the return trip. However, what keeps me really most comfortable is at rest stops I walk around and hand touch each tire getting a good idea that my brakes are not sticking or tires seriously low causing heat. I know that isnít very scientific and wonít warn me of some sudden issue, but if you do it all the time you quickly get a feel for what should be there. Kind of like truckers who take their hammer or club and bounce it off the tires to check tire pressure. They get a feel for what should be there.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
Your tires should be good based on age and condition and while you need to be aware and alert, I donít think you need to live and drive in constant fear. TPMS would be nice and would be handy but I donít have them and have done OK without. Someone with real world experience will hopefully respond to your thoughts on installation given your parameters.

I have a decent but not expensive digital tire pressure gauge that I use ahead of a trip and generally use before starting the return trip. However, what keeps me really most comfortable is at rest stops I walk around and hand touch each tire getting a good idea that my brakes are not sticking or tires seriously low causing heat. I know that isnít very scientific and wonít warn me of some sudden issue, but if you do it all the time you quickly get a feel for what should be there. Kind of like truckers who take their hammer or club and bounce it off the tires to check tire pressure. They get a feel for what should be there.
I was going to chime in with something very similar. I have TPMS ... and quite honestly, I use it mostly to verify the morning pressure of the tires, and I ALSO during rest stops walk around and check the tires. I actually will slap them (on the tread) with my hand to check the "sound" .... you actually can tell the difference if one is really off. Instead of a tire iron, you could easily carry a small hammer or even a medium sized crescent wrench and get the same effect. Probably best to not add TPMS to your installation curve right now. Just inflate the tires to a known pressure, go get a small hammer from home depot, and walk around and thump them to get the correct "pitch" into your head, then check daily and at rests as stated above. Will really only take a couple minutes, if that.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 PM   #56

Have you driven your new coach in windy conditions yet? If not, you might be surprised by how much you'll get pushed around. Suspension upgrades are available to minimize this, but it might be nice to get it right before you hit the road. Not sure if yours is a Ford or a Workhorse chassis, but at a minimum a rear "trac" bar (aka "Panhard" bar) and steering stabilizer are something I think all gas motorhomes should have left the factory with. If you're lucky a previous owner might have already installed these for you! It took me a couple years to get my Workhorse to drive the way I wanted, but it sure makes the trips more enjoyable now.

Tags
vent