Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
Country Road, could you elaborate on that? I'm having an electrician do the work. Are not all electricians versed in RV circuitry? What does "30A hooked up wrong" look like?

Thank you!!!
If you use an electrician that does residential wiring and never does wiring for RV’s, there is a chance, although slight that he may not be totally up on how an RV pedestal is wired. If this person is a true electrician, the knowledge to do it correct probably won’t be a problem, but if you use someone who thinks he knows electricity but hasn’t done RV wiring, that’s where you could have a problem.

30A plugs can be wired as a single hot 120v plug as RV’s are wired or as a 30A 240v as residential is wired for home appliance use. If you were to wire the plug as the latter with 240v and plug your RV 30A into it, it would do major damage to your circuit board in your RV.

On the other hand, if using a 50A service, there’s only one way to wire it and your RV splits out the two incoming individual 110v legs. But that’s another post.

Wiring it incorrectly has happened to some and I was only suggesting to remind them of the correct way. Have a great day.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #30

One important point I’ve not seen emphasized is tire pressure. Make absolutely sure your cold tire pressure is correct. Short of getting it weighed and using appropriate tire pressure charts, use the tire pressures specified on the Manufacturer’s ID plaque.

After the first few hours, you’ll be fairly comfortable with where you need to be to stay centered in the lane. After that just remain hyper-vigilant about corners and tail swing both on corners and near gas station posts and other vehicles and obstructions.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already, is to look into joining some sort of road side assistance service such as Coach-Net, FMCA, or Good Sam. Make sure to look into the ones that specifically cater to Motorhomes and not just automobiles. With the distance you will be traveling, you never know when some sort of mechanical issue or flat tire can arise...

Its like insurance, you never really like paying for it until you need it and have to use it!
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you!

Thank you EVERYONE for all the wonderful advice!! I have added all to my (very large and growing) notebook.
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #33

X2. I was gonna add this advice since it didn't appear until late in the discussion. You really need to do this, since motorhome towing can be very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneMiller View Post
Another thing you may want to consider, if you haven't already, is to look into joining some sort of road side assistance service such as Coach-Net, FMCA, or Good Sam. Make sure to look into the ones that specifically cater to Motorhomes and not just automobiles. With the distance you will be traveling, you never know when some sort of mechanical issue or flat tire can arise...

Its like insurance, you never really like paying for it until you need it and have to use it!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Driving an RV is more tiring than driving a car. I would limit mileage between 325 and 375 per day. Be sure to arrive at your RV park well before dark.

Be sure to use a water pressure regulator on your water hose.

Good Luck, Jerry
Old 10-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #35

Hello
I just bought a winnebago 32 foot vista and I was wondering if anyone knew if there's a book of Walmart's where you can park over night
Thanks
Akapete556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is my first time answering someone else's question!!!!

This site will tell you which Walmarts allow overnights.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...7718606035&z=6
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #37

Lelah We just bought a 2006 Terra a few weeks ago. Kids bought our TT and we found Terra online for great price and in excellent condition. Love it so far. Anyway...if you take the I90 route across S.D. we live around Sioux Falls close to the interstate. You need anything or a spot to pull off for the night, we have plenty of room. Up to you .. Just let me know. Prayers for your daughter and safe trip for you.
Tarcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #38

Quote:
I purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Terra 26Y about a month ago. Just now getting her ready for our first trip. She is in excellent condition. Tires are 4 years old with 16,000 miles. I have an appointment next week for a complete inspection.

I am tentatively planning on leaving from Portland, OR to Knoxville, TN on Oct. 23. Driving by myself with my 2 small dogs. I'll be staying about 6 months at my daughter and son-in-law's small farm, helping out while daughter goes through another round of chemo.

I'm new to motorhoming and I would very much appreciate any advice/words of wisdom on just about anything.

Thank you!
Lelah
Sounds to me that you may incounteer some cold weather and possibly some winter snow. Be careful.
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:41 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
thoughts on route

I just came back from Utah to.my home.off I 40 in Tennessee.

GET SOUTH AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I had snow and frost last week coming across Colorado on I-70 and driving a big rig is different than a car. Even after decades of.experience, snow and ice can be dangerous.and delay your journey.

God bless.
NeverGrowUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #40

Quote:
This is my first time answering someone else's question!!!!

This site will tell you which Walmarts allow overnights.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...7718606035&z=6
That felt pretty good didn't it; helping others out? That was good info also. Didn't know that info existed.
Thanks and prayers for your daughter and for a safe trip.
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:50 AM   #41
PB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGrowUp View Post
I just came back from Utah to.my home.off I 40 in Tennessee.

GET SOUTH AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I had snow and frost last week coming across Colorado on I-70 and driving a big rig is different than a car. Even after decades of.experience, snow and ice can be dangerous.and delay your journey.

God bless.

I agree with this. Going up to I-90 will add miles to your route and i think heading south may avoid some winter weather. Check the national weather a day or two before you go and choose the best route. Weather tends to travel from west to east across the country so try to time your trip to go between storms.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:03 AM   #42

As one solo woman traveler to another - check out Harvest Hosts for convenient and safe overnight stays. I’ve had an excellent experience with warm and friendly hosts.

Four months ago I bought my first RV. I didn’t know a black tank from a grey, 30 amps vs 50 amps, 12 volts from 24. Didn’t know about solar panels, amp hours, DC vs AC. Was scared to drive on the road and cried bitterly in a large empty parking lot as I tried to practice backing up and failed miserably. Went over the curb the first time I made a right hand turn, almost knocked over a display of antifreeze the first time I pulled into a gas station. Drove with white knuckles my first highway experience, hugged the right lane, drove at a speed that felt comfortable, and prayed every time I had to change lanes and prepared way in advance.

But I didn’t give up and never made the same mistake twice. My desire to travel by myself was greater than any fears I had - and my fear was strong. I took many trips over these past four months, gradually going further with each one and forcing myself to do things I had never done before and didn’t think I was capable of doing. And oh yeah - I’ve asked lots of questions on this forum and have received kind and thoughtful answers (Thank you! You know who you are!). I now feel comfortable with all of the systems on my unit, as well as navigation, can back into narrow spots like a pro, and my knuckles are no longer white when driving.

I share this as one woman to another because I discovered there was a certain amount of ingrained behavior I had to overcome. I’ve always been pretty independent, but when it came to mechanical or dirty things I have to admit - my tendency was to rely on others, usually men. This has been an experience of liberation for me as I’ve come to realize how much I can do - as can you!

I use Trip Wizard for my initial planning. You can see road elevations at the bottom of the map. Although giving you “RV Friendly”’directions, I found there were many times it took me far out of my way when a more direct route was completely safe. I now start with Trip Wizard then compare the route with Google Maps. What’s nice about Google Maps is that the phone app shows a 360 degree street view of every intersection. Nice to know ahead of time what that will look like and the sort of roads you’ll be turning into. What’s nice about Trip Wizard is you can download all maps ahead of time - a real life saver if you lose cell phone reception. Trip Wizard gets played through the RV Life app GPS and will play on my car apple play screen. Also, both will allow you to drag the route onto different roads if you’d like to customize your route.

I just got back from a solo 8 day trip and traveled about 1000 miles. I was amazed how far I had come in a short period of time. I found the learning curve to be steep but the teacher in you will activate the student in you, and you’ll figure it all out step by step as each new question presents itself. As many others have shared, this is an excellent community filled with experienced travelers who enjoy sharing what they know. Ask your questions as they arise and enjoy the freedom your self-sufficiency will bring.

Wishing you safe travels and a heartfelt landing when you get to your destination. Let your goal of supporting your family be the motivation to pull you through any hurdles that may temporarily arise. You’re in for a life-changing adventure on many different fronts. May the outcome from all of it bring joy to your heart.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent