Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 12:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
And The Adventure Begins........Soonish

I purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Terra 26Y about a month ago. Just now getting her ready for our first trip. She is in excellent condition. Tires are 4 years old with 16,000 miles. I have an appointment next week for a complete inspection.

I am tentatively planning on leaving from Portland, OR to Knoxville, TN on Oct. 23. Driving by myself with my 2 small dogs. I'll be staying about 6 months at my daughter and son-in-law's small farm, helping out while daughter goes through another round of chemo.

I'm new to motorhoming and I would very much appreciate any advice/words of wisdom on just about anything.

Thank you!
Lelah
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 03:38 AM   #2

Congrats on your new rig

Take it slow and easy. You will get there.

All the best to your daughter.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #3
PB2

Congratulations on your new ride!

My recommendation is to do an overnight at a local campground with full hookups before you head out on your great adventure. Get used to plugging in the electrical, water and sewer. Maybe put 5 gallons of water in the black and grey tanks and learn the dump process. Have a pad of paper with you to list everything you might need as well as developing a checklist for set up and take down.
Enjoy and my best to your daughter.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:59 AM   #4

I am assuming that you are also new to campers and not just motorhomes when I make a few statements.

Never leave your black tank valve pulled out while you are living in the RV. Let the stuff accumulate then dump when you want to. If you leave the valve open the fluids will slide out and the solids will build a small mountain inside the tank.

When you are driving your RV just make sure you are making wide corners. You can do it all in your side of the road but you want to use up most all of the available half of road to keep your backend from swinging into signs and gas pumps and such.

It takes you a lot longer to stop in the RV than it does in a car. Those that drive those cars in a big hurry will likely cut you off and have no clue that they are putting their own life in danger by reducing your safe stopping zone. It pays to know this ahead of time and adjust our own attitude accordingly. There is no point in road raging in an RV.(or any vehicle for that matter) Watching out for this can help you be prepared. I just slow down a bit to gain back the space that I lost. (I would love to have a big LED sign that light up for educational purposes though to teach these people that what they are doing is potentially dangerous for all of us when they cut in front of us and reduce our stopping lane)

Stop and smell the air every couple of hours or so. I push myself too much sometimes when driving and I have had to drive through a couple of Charlie horses in my legs! An occasional stop and stretch prevents these.

Enjoy your coach! Tell your daughter that we pray for complete remission and her body to handle the chemo well.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:18 AM   #5

Driving: there is a temptation to look in the rear mirror to check whether you are in the lane. Big mistake, as this makes you drift to the right. Look something like 100 -200 yards down the road ... believe it or not, you will quickly develop a sense of whether you are centered, AND it will give you plenty of forwarning of any traffic issues developing up ahead. Also, on the occasion you come to construction with narrow lanes, do t be afraid to slow down 45 or so?) soyou can better control your location in the lane.

There can be a real temptation to drive long distances each day (500 miles or so). This can be done, but most find this extremely tiring (and dangerous) to do day after day. Many will say 250 miles a day isa good spot ... gives you time to wake up in the morning, and time in the afternoon/evening to get settled, relax, and take care of small repairs (there are ALWAYS small repairs) to the rig. Bottom line - is is much safer to conciously not be i a hurry.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #6

Do you plan to stay in MH through winter months? If so more than one 15-20amp circuit/outlet will be a big help. Understanding the proper wiring an RV plug will be critical.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:28 AM   #7

Do you plan to stay in MH through winter months? If so more than one 15-20amp circuit/outlet will be a big help to run small space heaters or light bulbs in wet bays/areas in sustained below freezing temps. Understanding the proper wiring an RV plug/outlet will be critical.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:43 AM   #8

Do you plan to stay in MH through winter months? If so more than one 15-20amp circuit/outlet will be a big help" regardless of temps" but to run small space heaters or light bulbs in wet bays/areas. Understanding the proper wiring an RV plug/outlet will be critical if adding a 30 or 50 amp outlet.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABO05 View Post
Congrats on your new rig

Take it slow and easy. You will get there.

All the best to your daughter.
Thank you PABO05, we are really coveting those prayers right now.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB2 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride!

My recommendation is to do an overnight at a local campground with full hookups before you head out on your great adventure. Get used to plugging in the electrical, water and sewer. Maybe put 5 gallons of water in the black and grey tanks and learn the dump process. Have a pad of paper with you to list everything you might need as well as developing a checklist for set up and take down.
Enjoy and my best to your daughter.
Agreed, PB2. When at my daughter's place I will only be hooked up to electrical so I will be practicing dumping black/grey, filling water, and hooking up to electric. I'll be doing this on our farm in Oregon. Normally I would love to do a short shake down trip but I'm trying to get there as soon as I can. I WON'T hurry the drive at the expense of safety though.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you PPCPilot! Great advise!
Old 10-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you MN_Traveler. That might be my biggest struggle: not hurrying. Google says 2640 miles. Unfortunately, I just can't take 10 days to get there. That being said, I know there will be a lot about this adventure that I can't control and I'm going to have to accept those physical limitations. I WON'T put myself or others in danger by driving when I'm sleepy. I'm "relatively" fit, used to long hours (I teach chemistry to a bunch of high schoolers) and have traveled the world extensively, just not driving a 26 foot box.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:04 AM   #13

Lelah, I'm glad to see you have gotten some good advice from others. I'll be praying for you and your daughter.
I'm not sure what would be your best route to take at this time of year to get from Oregon to TN, as I live in the south and don't go through mountains in the winter. Perhaps someone can give some advice or ideas on the best route to take, if there are any weather concerns to be considered.
Safe travels,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Do you plan to stay in MH through winter months? If so more than one 15-20amp circuit/outlet will be a big help. Understanding the proper wiring an RV plug will be critical.
153stars: I am staying through the winter. I am having a 30 amp box installed at my daughter's farm that I will plug into. Any advice for living in an RV through the winter is greatly appreciated!

Tags
vent