Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #1

Annual Service

I just took our coach into the same shop we have used for 12 years. Each year they change oil, all filters except the air cleaner, lube and do a complete once over for anything that might cause a problem. They do the same with the Generator. This year, a new tech or possibly and old tech with new supervision did everything as directed plus airing all the tires up to 110 psi which is what is on the placard. Now, as soon as I have a 60 degree morning, I will have to bleed off the excess to return to the correct psi for the load. I went back in and told the New service manager to put a note in my customer file to not adjust the tire pressures without my ok. I told him the reasoning for the ideal different pressures for different loads. Neither he or his top assistant had ever heard of that. They always inflated to the placard of every truck and MH that came through. They thanked me for the info. They will now ask all MH owners what they want. Just a heads up, as I'm sure there are other service centers doing the same.

Note: I used to do all of my servicing, but due to an inner ear and vision issue I get sick whenever I lay on my back and look up at something close to my face. Sometimes take hours to get over, so writing the check just seems easier.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Note: I used to do all of my servicing, but due to an inner ear and vision issue I get sick whenever I lay on my back and look up at something close to my face. Sometimes take hours to get over, so writing the check just seems easier.
That’s how I’ve ended up with building because of my back. Monday I’m watching six guys do my concrete work for me. It’s worth the extra $$ to not be crippled up for the next week My job will be to walk around with a re-bar hook pulling the grid into the mud. Easy duty....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A379E834-C1F7-437E-B5AD-B2E5045AC600.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	491.0 KB
ID:	292773  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #3

I ran into the same "placard pressure" event when I just had service done - I did inform the service manager that they should ask the customer what pressure they prefer...

Crasher; I don't get dizzy when on my back and looking up (sorry to hear that you do) - however, writing some of those service checks certainly gets my heart thumping more than I like!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
I ran into the same "placard pressure" event when I just had service done - I did inform the service manager that they should ask the customer what pressure they prefer...

Crasher; I don't get dizzy when on my back and looking up (sorry to hear that you do) - however, writing some of those service checks certainly gets my heart thumping more than I like!
I don't get dizzy, but sick to my stomach. And yes, the extra $250-300 for labor each year can make me a little oozy, but at least I get over it quicker.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
At 73, I'm still stubbornly insisting on doing my own. Last week, though, I was sliding around under the RV and frequently had to stop and wait for the world to stop spinning. Thankfully, I don't get sick, and I get over it rather quickly. I did stand up too quickly once and dang near fell on my face. Gotta be careful about that.

I've got enough oil and filters in the shop to do the RV twice more and each of the motorcycles, car, and truck once more. After that I may decide to do something else.

About writing the check, I have no issues with writing a check for something I'd rather not do myself. I've earned that right and so have you
Old 07-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure it's a liability guideline. They probably had someone complain because they didn't do it and a tire blew out.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:16 AM   #7

I always keep the coach at or just above the tire pressure on the placard because it is the pressure for the GWAR and seems to give even tire wear. I do weigh the coach from time to time and am usually about 1000# under GVWR. As long as you don't exceed the side wall pressure, there is no harm in running high. Running low is dangerous.
If I was a shop owner, I would never go below the placard pressure unless the coach owner could present a CAT certificate for the day he brought it in. Just too much liability to do otherwise. If you are unable to check your tire pressure and add or let out air, its time to hang up your keys and buy a house.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

A note taped to the placard with the desired pressures might be a good reminder for the service tech for shops that don't ask their customers.

It is surprising that a supervisor wouldn't understand tire pressure being based on load and weight distribution (or maybe not so surprising), but then again the shop would have to weight each RV and look up the PSI on a chart. They still wouldn't know what margin the customer likes (e.g. many of us set our PSI's at 10% above the tire manufacturer chart)
Old 07-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #9

In the future, I will remind the shop to leave the tires alone. They can write in a disclaimer if they want to. In my case, the placard calls for 110 psi all the way around. On my steer tires, that would be 5 psi underinflated, 25 psi above what the drive axle needs and 30+ psi above what the tag needs. I corrected them this morning when the tire temps were 65 degrees. Because they changed everything including lowering the steer tires to 110 when the OAT was near 90, They only had 105 psi, or 10 psi below the minimum. If a service center is going to adjust tire pressures, they need to know what temperature does to pressure and what is the correct for each position. I wonder how many tire shops pay attention to those details, let alone a service shop?? The best solution is for the coach owner to know what the correct pressures need to be and do it themselves.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #10

In the shops I have used they charge 20 dollars for a tag coach to set the air per your work order psig
Numbers on each axle

They are usually doing semi tractors which tend to be higher on the steering axle versus the drivers

Normally I set them at my shop however if on the road I don't drag out the compressor
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I drop my rig off, I always have them put a note on their work order to not adjust the tire pressure. Seems they do read it.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I had service done at Cummins West Michigan two years ago. I told them not to inflate tires as they were set by weight. They ignored me and set all my tires to 125. The maximum pressure. I didn’t know this until I drove away. The coach rode like a tank.

They also lost one of my tire pressure monitoring sensors. They promised to replace it on three occasions, but never did.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #13

To the OP: Sorry to be so late asking about your first post, but wondering why you don’t have them change your engine air filter annually???
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #14

I just had service at Freightliner yesterday. I had a 4 corner weight and they asked if I wanted pressures set to what the four corners stated. I said to put them all at 100lsi since I knew overall weight and on each axle and did the 5lbs over for each baded on Michelin chart. They suggested 95 on rear and 105 on front, so my 100 was within range. Four corner was about 300 more than when I weighed axles but I did have full fresh water tank yesterday.

They did specifically address tires and not assume.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service