Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Another 3-M Paint Removal Project

My 2005 Airstream 396 XL flat front diesel pusher had the 3-M paint protector "Invisible Bra" applied when it rolled off the line. The 3-M paint protector product is about the same as the Diamond Shield product which is found on a number of different manufacturer motor homes. The concept was great, a clear plastic film that would protect the paint on a a flat front motor home from rock chips while driving. That part worked, but the product fails after a few years and cracks form under the top layer and it and starts to discolor as well. On my 396 XL the cracks were not as visible as I have seen on other coaches but brown discoloration spots were visible in the adhesive and looked really bad compared to the paint on the rest of the coach. I checked with a few local 3-M installers about removing the 3-M paint protector and no one had any interest in even talking about this. They all said it was a hard job and took to much time and they could not charge enough to make it profitable. So I did a lot of research on the internet and iRV2 forum and decided that if I wanted this removed I would have to do it myself. Heat in some form seemed to be the key in getting this stuff to peel off whether it was from just sitting in the Sun or from a heat gun or hair dryer. I was afraid to use a heat gun and working in the sun was just to hot and did not help all that much as I found out. After doing my research and talking with my local RV repair shop (who did not want to take on the job either) they said a clothes type steamer was the best way to provide heat to the material and it would not burn the body of the coach. So that is what a used. Here is one similar to what I used.

Conair Compact Fabric Steamer: Appliances : Walmart.com

After heating the material you then have to scrape it off. Metal scrapers will scratch so plastic scrapers need to be used. I tried various types and sizes and the one that I found that worked the best for me is this one from Home Depot.

Economy 2-1/2 in. Paint Remover Tool-DSHHD at The Home Depot

Its strong enough to get under the top layer when a small section was heated with the steamer I could peel off strips about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and it did not scratch the body. Its isturdy like a scoop and the edge holds up better. Once they dull the job gets harder. I went through about 35 of these.

Once the top section is removed you are left with the adhesive. I tried several different types of removers, goof off, goo be gone WD 40, and others but they would not do anything. The best product that I found was the 3-M general purpose adhesive remover.

On-line Product Catalog:*3M

You have to wet it down and then scrape it off. Letting it sit for a while does not help and it will not just wipe off. You squirt it on and scrape, then repeat that several times. Its about $14 a can, I used 10 cans.

This is a big project that takes a lot of work and is very time consuming. I put 30+ hours in on this. The only thing that kept me going was seeing how good it looked as I was taking off sections of the film. I finished up last week with no damage to the paint and I think it looks great. I will live with the potential rock chips. Here are some pictures from start to finish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3m1.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	42763

Name:	3m2.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	42764

Name:	3m3.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	42765

Name:	3m4.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	42766

Name:	3m5.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	42767

I have new updated headlight assembles going on this coming week to top it it off. Glad this is done.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #2

Congratulations, I recently did the same project with my Dutch Star and the Diamond Shield. I don't have the pics, as my iPad has eaten them. Lots of work, but worth it!
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #3

Let me tell you what is hard to do. Try removing the stripe decals on both side of a coach. Mine are 35' long. Took me and DW almost 3 weeks to get them off. heat gun did not work. Goof off and googone worked good on the adhesive. Razor blades were the only thing that worked for us. Had to be extremely careful!

Feel better now????? LOL
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #4

Excellent job on the 3M removal. We just ordered a new 2014 Phaeton and will NOT have the Diamond Shield installed.
We have used a full front bra on two coaches and properly cared for they will keep the front end looking new for years.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #5

i did run a sign shop for 10 year there is some thing you can get to get it off you put it on for a Hr and it well peel right off but i forget the name of it

now the sad part on newer rvs they are using the better 3M you would find for big printers like i had but the cost for this film is lower then paint used on the rv so you get a really thin layer of paint under it after you pull it off you really need to go back with some thing

but this was used for out door printing to stop the UVs from the sun like with my 6 foot incade 60e
it came in a 2 5 and 7 year life span giving the cost you wanted to pay and how long you wanted your sign to be up
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
My 2005 Airstream 396 XL flat front diesel pusher had the 3-M paint protector "Invisible Bra" applied when it rolled off the line. The 3-M paint protector product is about the same as the Diamond Shield product which is found on a number of different manufacturer motor homes. The concept was great, a clear plastic film that would protect the paint on a a flat front motor home from rock chips while driving. That part worked, but the product fails after a few years and cracks form under the top layer and it and starts to discolor as well. On my 396 XL the cracks were not as visible as I have seen on other coaches but brown discoloration spots were visible in the adhesive and looked really bad compared to the paint on the rest of the coach. I checked with a few local 3-M installers about removing the 3-M paint protector and no one had any interest in even talking about this. They all said it was a hard job and took to much time and they could not charge enough to make it profitable. So I did a lot of research on the internet and iRV2 forum and decided that if I wanted this removed I would have to do it myself. Heat in some form seemed to be the key in getting this stuff to peel off whether it was from just sitting in the Sun or from a heat gun or hair dryer. I was afraid to use a heat gun and working in the sun was just to hot and did not help all that much as I found out. After doing my research and talking with my local RV repair shop (who did not want to take on the job either) they said a clothes type steamer was the best way to provide heat to the material and it would not burn the body of the coach. So that is what a used. Here is one similar to what I used.

Conair Compact Fabric Steamer: Appliances : Walmart.com

After heating the material you then have to scrape it off. Metal scrapers will scratch so plastic scrapers need to be used. I tried various types and sizes and the one that I found that worked the best for me is this one from Home Depot.

Economy 2-1/2 in. Paint Remover Tool-DSHHD at The Home Depot

Its strong enough to get under the top layer when a small section was heated with the steamer I could peel off strips about 1/2" to 3/4" wide and it did not scratch the body. Its isturdy like a scoop and the edge holds up better. Once they dull the job gets harder. I went through about 35 of these.

Once the top section is removed you are left with the adhesive. I tried several different types of removers, goof off, goo be gone WD 40, and others but they would not do anything. The best product that I found was the 3-M general purpose adhesive remover.

On-line Product Catalog:*3M

You have to wet it down and then scrape it off. Letting it sit for a while does not help and it will not just wipe off. You squirt it on and scrape, then repeat that several times. Its about $14 a can, I used 10 cans.

This is a big project that takes a lot of work and is very time consuming. I put 30+ hours in on this. The only thing that kept me going was seeing how good it looked as I was taking off sections of the film. I finished up last week with no damage to the paint and I think it looks great. I will live with the potential rock chips. Here are some pictures from start to finish.

Attachment 42763

Attachment 42764

Attachment 42765

Attachment 42766

Attachment 42767

I have new updated headlight assembles going on this coming week to top it it off. Glad this is done.

Here are pictures with the new modern headlights. They really look good and top off the removal of the old 3-M paint protection.

Name:	AS-headlight1.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	42929

Name:	AS-headlight2.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	42930

Name:	AS-headlight3.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	42931
Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't mind my asking, how much does a set go for?
Old 07-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhigley View Post
If you don't mind my asking, how much does a set go for?
I bought them from Amazon.com. On my 2005 Airstream the headlight assembly is from a Ford Explorer 1977-2001.

Anzo USA 111040 Ford Explorer Crystal with Amber Corner Chrome Headlight Assembly - (Sold in Pairs) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Tags
paint, removal