Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #1

Another battery charging question

Hi all. Planning our trip to Florida in February. Going from Canada/northern States to Florida. Our first stop will be somewhere in upper New York. At that time of year there are no campgrounds open so we will have to overnight at a Walmart or Crackerbarrel type place, with no plug in! Temperature at that time of year could be 10 - 20 degrees, well below freezing. We will arrive about 5:00 pm.
My question is at what interval and for how long would you run the generator? We have an Onan 7000 and use a few overhead lights, but with the furnaces and fan running all night. I ran into a problem our first year, two years ago being completely green, and woke up at 4:00 am frozen with no heat because the batteries ran down and furnace stopped (with the previous rv). We have two 6 volt house batteries. I was thinking at 9:00 pm for a couple of hours and then? Should I wake up in the middle of the night and run the generator again?
Any comments, suggestion, recommendations would be gladly accepted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #2
tvp

What make and model of RV ? How long ? [emoji15]
Old 11-11-2017, 04:01 AM   #3

FrankAN-

On our former Class C, we could make it through the night with furnace running without running the generator at all. The alternator charged the batteries as we ran down the road, and we didn't pull much out of them between landing time and bedtime.

I prefer to refrain from running the generator after 9:00 p.m.. If I were you, I'd start the generator when I arrived at 5:00 p.m. and run it until I went to bed, or 9:00 p.m., whichever came first. Or, start at 7:00 p.m. and run for 2 hours (this is the more-neighborly option). That way, you can use the microwave, recharge the portable devices, etc., and have a full charge on the batteries for overnight.

A lightweight comforter does let one lower the thermostat setting.

If your coach does not have a "real" battery monitor, you should consider installing one. If your coach has a Magnum inverter, consider the Magnum ME-BMK; if not, I recommend the Bogart Engineering Trimetric TM-2030. A "real" battery monitor is like a "fuel gauge" for your batteries.

There is a park in Florida, NY (near Newburgh) that is open year-round:

https://blackbearcampground.com/
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #4

Heres hoping you have a safe trip Frank, I would respectively suggest... If it were me in temps that cold I would turn the Gen on and leave it on all night. You also have to be concerned with freezing pipes at temps that low so "stay warm" being green is fine but would you turn the power off in your house after a few hours? Good luck and safe travels.

Q
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp View Post
What make and model of RV ? How long ? [emoji15]
2010 Tiffin Allegro Bay, 36 ft. Workhorse Chassis, 6 speed Alison Transmission.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:08 AM   #6
tvp

I would think if you pulled of the road and filled the gas tank before you hit the Walmart etc. Park out of the way in the back corner and let the generator run all night , with a Onan 7000 you should not use much fuel , I think 1/6 of a gal / hr.....and you most likely have a 80 gal tank, so you should be fine.....just check the oil in generator before and keep warm, also full tank of propane helps too [emoji12][emoji736][emoji1063]
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
...I prefer to refrain from running the generator after 9:00 p.m.. If I were you, I'd start the generator when I arrived at 5:00 p.m. and run it until I went to bed, or 9:00 p.m., whichever came first. Or, start at 7:00 p.m. and run for 2 hours (this is the more-neighborly option). That way, you can use the microwave, recharge the portable devices, etc., and have a full charge on the batteries for overnight...
'full charge' is a relative term defined by the age and condition of the batteries. proper battery maintenance can go a long way to keeping you warm at night. running the genny all night might be an option but i'd be concerned about CO leaks.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:50 AM   #8

rk911-

You are correct. It is completely possible that the batteries will not be fully-charged even after running the generator for 2 to 4 hours. The OP doesn't state the age or type of his batteries, nor his inspection and maintenance regimen. Each of these affects the charge-discharge characteristics. A properly-installed and configured battery monitor should reduce the mysteries surrounding battery condition.

My thinking was that by running the generator from arrival (or 7:00 p.m.) to 9:00 p.m. the OP would not be drawing current from the batteries in advance of bedtime to run the 120VAC (if the coach has an inverter) or 12V loads.

I'm disinclined to run the generator all night (noise for me and my neighbors, potential carbon monoxide exposure while asleep), but I can see why some folks would, and do. RV parks frequently have "quiet hours"; it is neighborly to check if overnight non-RV-park sites (such as the mentioned Wal-Marts and Cracker Barrels) have similar restrictions or preferences.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
tvp

Well we could also try a truck stop or rest area where the big rigs run engines all night , no noise issues there ....lol
Old 11-11-2017, 05:06 AM   #10

Does your coach have LED lights inside? I know our 2012 did not when we bought it in 2016. New coaches today I think come standard with them now. If your coach does not have LED bulbs I'd change them out. You'll save some amp draw there. Cheap to do. Buy on Amazon.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:40 PM   #12

Actually, February is still a ways off. Simply charge the house batteries up and run a test to see how far they are discharged with the furnace running overnight.
House batteries will charged by the engine alternator during the day while driving.
I would expect that with a coach like yours, you have a inverter/charger. Does the model of inverter/charger you have have a battery monitor option that you can add to it? You should not discharge your battery bank lower than 50% capacity for best battery life.
Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We avoid Walmart's because of security issues. But, we do stay at rest stops and park where the tractor/trailers park. They leave their engines running all night, and some of them have compressors running to cool refrigerated trailers, so I see no reason why you couldn't run a generator all night there.

We've been staying at rest stops when traveling between SC and the UP of MI for the last 5 springs, and again in the fall. We've never had an issue of any sort at any rest stop.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:16 AM   #14
tvp

What security issues have you run into at Walmart?

Tags
battery, charging