Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #1

Another CHF front and rear

Just bought a used 2005 Georgie boy pursuit. Going over all the system and engine. So far so good. Just need to replace the outside shower faucet.

So reading a lot in irv2. Came across the CHF

I said to myself why not try it.

When crawling around underneath. I looked back and noticed no bushings on the rear sway bar. Knowing that is obviously wrong. I ordered 2 and installed. At the same time reversing the sway bar as well. So both front and rear have the CMH.

I only have 400 miles driving a class A. But.....what an amazing difference. I used to have body roll and trucks passing would sway the MH. Now. Almost no roll. So glad I did this and glad there is a forum for rv's that have good information on it.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #2

Congratulations, you got a twofer! Found and fixed a problem so it could at least operate as designed, and then corrected a design flaw so it perform as it should!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

Congrats on your find.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Good job!!! Now get and install a steering stabilizer, you will be glad you did, not just for increased handling comfort but for safety too.

Glad to see another Georgie Boy owner on here. We really love ours. I have done a few changes to mine that have really helped the ride and handling a LOT. We couldn't ask for a better floor plan in a MH for our needs and comfort.
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:05 AM   #5

Do I need trac bar ?

So I have read several post about the steering stabilizer being added but does anyone think I need to add the trac bar as well? I’ve read reviews and my 16’ Bounder already has rear sway bar. The trac seems pricey and I’m wondering if I actually need it do to already having sway bar. I know they do different things but my question is does it (trac bar) make that much of difference if I already have sway bar...🤔
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:26 AM   #6

16'? Typo?
The longer the RV, the more effect a trac bar will have.
Made a good amount of difference in my 36'
I DIY'd mine so the cost was low in parts but a half day of fabrication.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum.

CHF is a good first step. Consider your shock absorbers next. If they're original, Think about replacing them. This was the second most significant item I did on mine to improve handling.

Replace Shock Absorbers – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
So I have read several post about the steering stabilizer being added but does anyone think I need to add the trac bar as well? I’ve read reviews and my 16’ Bounder already has rear sway bar. The trac seems pricey and I’m wondering if I actually need it do to already having sway bar. I know they do different things but my question is does it (trac bar) make that much of difference if I already have sway bar...��
When we bought our 2010 Vista (33’) the first thing I did was the CHF front and back. About 5000 miles later it was the rear swaybar. To me that’s the best money we’ve spent on the chassis to date. It really settled down the ride.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Ok so I'm new but what is a CHF?
dirt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ok so I'm new but what is a CHF?
CHF stands for "Cheep Handling Fix" as in, it doesn't cost anything to do.

On 1999 and newer Ford F53 chassis, the factory installed torsion (sway) bars can be adjusted. The factory setting is very loose and doesn't offer a lot of anti-sway. When the links are adjusted to their other (rear) position, this significantly improves the anti-sway.

This is probably one of the most popular forum threads on irv2:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

Here is how I did mine:

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S

Old 03-21-2019, 05:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

CHF is a good first step. Consider your shock absorbers next. If they're original, Think about replacing them. This was the second most significant item I did on mine to improve handling.

Replace Shock Absorbers – 1999 Southwind 35S

Was considering. It has bilstine. But only 16k miles. Not much time on the shocks.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Was considering. It has bilstine. But only 16k miles. Not much time on the shocks.
16k isn't a lot. unfortunately, the only real way to test them is to remove them.. maybe put it on the list of things to do, but a low priority.