Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #1

Another flooring question

I'm replacing the carpet with 3/8 engineered wood flooring. Ii want to leave the existing tile in the bathroom. After removing the carpet and padding from the bedroom, I found that the tile sits about 3/4 inch above the subfloor.
I would prefer to have the finished floor heights the same instead of using a height transition piece so my question is, can I screw down some 3/8 plywood to the subfloor then glue the flooring strips to it to get the finished height even with the tile?
Thanks.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Why not take the tile up and use the engineered wood in the bathroom? We did and everything has been good for the last 1 1/2 years since we did it.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just did that in our home and yes you can screw down plywood and glue flooring directly to it. Do not however use particle board. Use only a good grade plywood.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
Why not take the tile up and use the engineered wood in the bathroom? We did and everything has been good for the last 1 1/2 years since we did it.

I like the tile and don't see any need to remove it.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

I think the Home Depot / Lowes outlets actually sell an underlay product for exactly this need. Are you sure the flooring is a glue down application ? Many of the thinner products are click together ?
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
I think the Home Depot / Lowes outlets actually sell an underlay product for exactly this need. Are you sure the flooring is a glue down application ? Many of the thinner products are click together ?

Yes.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 11-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

OSB (Oriented Strand Board) is a better choice than plywood. Cheaper and stronger. It's made by glueing random oriented chunks of wood together. Cheaper than plywood because it's mostly waste wood products used. Stronger because of the random direction the wood takes (unlike plywood where the layer are glued together only 90 degrees from each other.

Keep in mind the added weight if you're going to be moving a lot.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
OSB (Oriented Strand Board) is a better choice than plywood. Cheaper and stronger. It's made by glueing random oriented chunks of wood together. Cheaper than plywood because it's mostly waste wood products used. Stronger because of the random direction the wood takes (unlike plywood where the layer are glued together only 90 degrees from each other.

Keep in mind the added weight if you're going to be moving a lot.

I will check out the OSB. The subfloor is OSB.
I'm sure the new floor will be heavier than the carpet but that's OK with me.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 11-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #9

You need a floating floor in a motorhome due to the temperature differences between summer and winter. It must be able to expand and contract.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
You need a floating floor in a motorhome due to the temperature differences between summer and winter. It must be able to expand and contract.

This seems to be the conventional wisdom but it isn't true. We had all our flooring removed back in 2011 and replaced with Mannington Adura. It's 16"x16" tiles and its glued to the underlayment just as in residential installations. We live in the coach full time and have been in the coach with temps down to zero on a couple of occasions.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Sorry- but that statement is unfounded.
Engineered wood, adhered with urethane adhesive is fool proof.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:

This has been a project that I've been wanting to do for some time now. I've read hundreds of forum posts on the subject and have made my decision on the engineered wood and glued down based mostly on Mr. Ekberg's posts and the lack of complaints about his installations. I wish I had the time and money to visit TX and let him do it but I don't so I'm gonna try to get as close as I can to the quality of his work on my own.
And I also don't want a whole bunch of flooring hitting me in the head in an accident that I hope never happens.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
Old 11-05-2015, 10:39 PM   #13

Wood flooring expands and contracts with changes in temperature and humidity. This generally isn't an issue and floors have been nailed down for years without any problems. Occassionaly you'll find a floor where some of the wood had buckled because it was laid too tightly together and the expansion had nowhere to go. In an RV the amount of room required for expansion is rather small since the area covered is never very large.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
... I also don't want a whole bunch of flooring hitting me in the head in an accident ...
Frankly, that's never going to happen. Laminate flooring fits together to make one solid sheet of flooring. It's not anything at all like laying individual boards down and hoping they'll stay in place. The term "floating" means it is free to expand and contract, not that it's going to fly into the air with a slight provocation.
alvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #14

I really appreciate all the replies even though almost all of them have strayed from my original question.
So I'll stray too. Just look at how Holiday Rambler way back in 1994 ran out of marine grade 7ply and substituted OSB on the bed box, or whatever you call it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1446789345.915378.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	111272

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060