RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #1

Another headlight post ...

I have a older coach (2001 Harney Riata) - which uses the 4 x 6 sealed-beam hi-low headlight bulbs.

I need brighter lights.

(I saw the other discussion about LED - but, think that's different - because, I don't have bulb/housing - I have sealed-beam bulbs. If I'm wrong - and it's the same discussion - my apologies to the group.)

Any one dealt with this - in a 4 x 6 bulb configuration? Any suggestions?
opa6x57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #2

I had an old Ford pickup with the same weak seal beams.
Upgraded to Sylvania or Wagner (don't remember, that was 30 years ago) super brite halogen seal beams, day and night difference.
Most over the road semis use the same style of light.
A quick trip to the Google box brought up hundreds of LED or Halogen options....one example:
https://www.raneystruckparts.com/rec...ent=Big%20Rigs
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:16 PM   #3

I already tried replacing the bulbs with fresh/new halogen sealed beam units - but, there wasn't any real improvement.

I think these are aimed, wrong - that may be a consideration. But, they just seem to be yellowish and dim.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #4

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/tr...ing?quantity=1

that company makes good stuff.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Are your headlights from a Ford Bronco or pickup of about '97 or so vintage?

I'm replacing my lamps with these Hellas.
https://www.amazon.com/Rectangular-H...EYQBVK4CM09K5D
Old 10-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #6

Check Jegs and Sumitt if they have them one of those has great deals on Hella here is summit $52

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-003427291
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

If all lights run through the HL switch, look up HL relay mod In short ...shorter run of larger wires feed HLs through relays and switch just throws relays.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by opa6x57 View Post
I already tried replacing the bulbs with fresh/new halogen sealed beam units - but, there wasn't any real improvement.

I think these are aimed, wrong - that may be a consideration. But, they just seem to be yellowish and dim.
Yellowish and dim , two possibilities , low power (due to poor connections , or resistance in wiring or switch) , or bad grounds .
As mentioned , heavier wiring and relays is a good idea , and years ago there were higher wattage sealed beams available , BUT most times when installed they needed , heavier wire and relays to work properly.

Did your replacement sealed beams come with specs ?
Wattage of the bulb ? if memory serves stock was 35 watts , high output were 50 watt .
Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #9

I am in the same situation, recently ordered new 4x6 replacement lights, they should be here tomorrow.
I obviously can't comment on them yet but the reviews and price convinced me to spend my money.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J5D2RTM..._cX4KFbA7B1M1F
lola and i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:17 AM   #10

opa6x57,
It took 7 replies before someone suggested a proper approach to your issue. You see, many, many coach headlights are wired in such a way, that there is a high possibility you're losing voltage to your headlights. Even a minor loss in voltage can result in lower quality beams. The VERY FIRST thing you should do in this case is, get out your trusty VOM or, Volt Ohm Meter and, do what they (the techs) call *back pin* the connection to one of your headlights.

That is, if you can, stick the positive probe of the VOM in the back side of the plug, for one of your headlights. Connect the negative lead of your VOM to a known, good quality ground. Now, turn on your headlights. Note the reading.

I'd bet you're not getting more than 12.5V, possibly even less. If you are, then how much? I did this very same test on my '03 Jeep Rubicon headlights. I came up with 12.4v, even WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. But, when I connected a 12GA wire directly from the battery, to the low beam pin on the head light, that light brightened by at least 40-50%!!!!!!!

And those connections from that 3-pin plug were clean. It was simply a voltage loss in the system. Anyway, the test(s) I'm suggesting are easily done and would reveal whether or not, you're getting good or poor voltage at those lights. You could spend all the money you want on new wazoo lights or LED lights but, if you've got LOW VOLTAGE, well, it's the old cliché, you're just throwing your money away. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
If all lights run through the HL switch, look up HL relay mod In short ...shorter run of larger wires feed HLs through relays and switch just throws relays.
Any good sources of a KIT to do this on an RV?
I see a bunch of folks have done this - but, not finding any good sources for a kit. Anyone?
Old 10-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #12

Hi
I have a 2000 Harney with the 4X6 headlights and had the same problem you do.I got in touch with Daniel Sterns lighting and I bought the relay kit from him. Made all the difference in the world . I can actually drive a night now and have great headlights.
He will send you all the info you need to do it yourself. Just google Daniel Sterns lighting and you will get his info.
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #13

I think there may be kits for cars I believe I have at least one HL relay. If I was going to do mod I would pick up cheap HD 12v cube relays with studs for output run individual wires to each low and high beam plug or split larger wire like #10 on each side. There are many posts on mod here I'm sure someone shared parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by opa6x57 View Post
Any good sources of a KIT to do this on an RV?
I see a bunch of folks have done this - but, not finding any good sources for a kit. Anyone?
Old 10-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
Hi
I have a 2000 Harney with the 4X6 headlights and had the same problem you do.I got in touch with Daniel Sterns lighting and I bought the relay kit from him. Made all the difference in the world . I can actually drive a night now and have great headlights.
He will send you all the info you need to do it yourself. Just google Daniel Sterns lighting and you will get his info.
Busyguy
Another Harney Owner??? Excellent.

Tags
headlight, light