Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Another HWH Leveling System Problem

I have the HWH 625 automatic leveling system on my motorhome.
The touch pad does not respond or light up to any commands, auto or manual. The slides work fine and the little light comes on when I operate the slides. Brake is set and transmission in park. I have tried ignition switch in start, acc, and off. The system worked fine in the past, but became intermittent, and now nothing at all.

Yes, I have downloaded the service manual and gone through the troubleshooting matrix. There is not anything in it that covers my specific condition. All the required lights in the control box come on as required.

Yes, I know that I can call HWH and wait 2 to 3 weeks for a return call and advice.

I would like to know if anyone on this forum has had the same problem and/or some suggestions to test the system or possible fixes.

Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Shooting into the dark...

Since the problem seemed to start as intermittent and then got worse my first suggestion is to check all grounding points. That can cause problems to start and then get worse as the ground connections get worse.

Of course, check all fuses related to the system.

Finally, the pad could have just gone bad. You might try to remove the pad, check all connectors and see if that helps.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 PM   #3

I had a problem with a slide and sent an email to their customer service and got a response the next day that solved the problem. You might try an email. There are a lot of things that it could be and maybe they could give some info as to how to narrow the problem down. Hard to give advice with the info you provided.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A common problem is that the plug on the bottom of the touch pad can fall off. Lift the pad an check that first.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Commercial Member

the two bolts that hold the pump to the mounting bracket are the main ground for the system. look under the bottom of the pump for them .take a battery jumper cable and jump between the frame of the coach and the body of the pump assembly. this should supply a good ground. if this works, just add a good ground to the pump. if not, test the touch pad with a 12 volt tester to determine if its sending or receiving a signal from the control box. please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638.
i do work for hwh as a service rep, and sales rep in the southwest. thanks, paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #6

Did you find and check the inline fuse for the hydraulic motor? Mine is close to the motor on the 12V line and has blown on my system and when this happened on my 2001 Dutch Star the panel acted dead.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello Campers,
To those of you following this thread (and care) today I:

Turned the ignition to start as usual. No lights lit up on the pad (original problem) or in the control box (something new today).
Started to do the troubleshooting again from step 1.
Opened the control box (plastic cover). Checking a fuse, I had to move some of the wires in the box, NOT disconnecting anything, just jiggling wire around.
Had lunch.
Turned ignition to start as usual. Touch pad lit up. Control box lit up. Everything appears to be working.
Comments? I appreciate all the expertise on this topic. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Loose Connection
When you are in a campground and getting ready to leave that connection will show up loose again and you will not be able to jiggle wires to find it. That is how loose connections work
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
KIX

SeaLevelRam...........read post #5 in this thread. He can help you.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
SeaLevelRam...........read post #5 in this thread. He can help you.
Yes, I saw it. Will do.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:53 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had similar problems. There are 2 each 7.5 A fuses on the fuse panel. My system was drawing almost 8A for some reason and blew the fuses. Don't replace just one, replace both. The dealer installed 2 each self closing breaker fuses in place of the regular fuses. This seems to fix my problems.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
the two bolts that hold the pump to the mounting bracket are the main ground for the system. look under the bottom of the pump for them .take a battery jumper cable and jump between the frame of the coach and the body of the pump assembly. this should supply a good ground. if this works, just add a good ground to the pump. if not, test the touch pad with a 12 volt tester to determine if its sending or receiving a signal from the control box. please feel free to call me at 602-549-3638.
i do work for hwh as a service rep, and sales rep in the southwest. thanks, paul maddox
Are you talking about the hydraulic pump?
Isn't this the same pump that powers the slides?
Old 02-01-2015, 06:16 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have called HWH for tech support and they returned my call the same day. I know a lot of HWH problems turn out to be bad grounding. I also had a problem with my pad, if you remove it and give them the number they can provide a new one if that is the problem.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #14

This is why I state not to wiggle things..

You have an intermittent connection...now to find it.

First make a rough drawing of the area you worked and get a volt meter.

Carefully measure voltages at the connections and easy and safe places on the board.

GENTLY touch.

Make note of voltage reading.

Take and print a photo and make notes on it if you can not draw.

Next get a plastic knife or stick and gently push on connectors or tug on single wires while watching panel for flashing lights.

You are trying to "break it" so you can repeat the voltage readings.

I suspect cracked solder on the connector pins and moving the wires made it touch.

Reflowing solder is easy with correct tools but do not try if you never have done that.

If you just want to wait until it fails again place the paper with voltage readings with the board and a copy someplace else thrn you can use it to compare readings when it fails next time.

Tags
hwh, leveling