Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another Kwikee Step Issue

In my quest to determine the issue I am looking for posters who have actually experienced the problem.

Our steps seem to be working intermittently. Today, when they did work they would come out and retract immediately. Previously they would not come out at all. Here is some info that I have determined. The battery voltage is fine. I believe the 2 grounds are fine although it acts as though there may be a ground issue. I removed the actual motor and connected it directly to the battery and every time I have done that the motor appears to operate normally. For those of you who have actually experienced this issue what has been your resolution ?

I cannot find any way to determine that the control module is good or bad. There is a test procedure but it requires a $17 part to determine it and honestly it is a bit above my pay grade.

Again the motor does seem to work. Actual problems have been steps going in and staying in and steps coming out and retracting as soon as they get out.

Is there a sure way to test the magnet ? Would the magnet give intermittent issues ?? Some one must have had this type of issue !!!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

Here is the Kwikee Service Training manual to cover all their products, JIC: https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exteri...svc_manual.pdf
If your steps pass all the tests in this Vimeo, it has to be the magnet or wiring to same.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Wow....what a great video. They run through everything in a very easy to understand way. Our steps quit working couple weeks ago. This video would have been a great help. I just took the cover off and tapped the motor and it started working again. Thanks for posting that up Ray.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

I had trouble with my steps, turned out it was the magnetic switch in the door frame.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 12:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I had trouble with my steps, turned out it was the magnetic switch in the door frame.
Was there a way you determined that without buying the connector to make all the tests ?

Old 08-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #6

kwikkee step problem

had the same problem with mine. A trip to Advance Auto Parts and $39 solved the problem. Good Luck Hbrandon
hbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbrandon View Post
had the same problem with mine. A trip to Advance Auto Parts and $39 solved the problem. Good Luck Hbrandon
I'll assume you didn't buy 4 quarts of oil and a filter. Mind telling me what you bought and how you came to that conclusion ???

Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

kwikkee step problem

Sorry, I bought a motor. I believe it was for mid ninties ford. My motor acted the same as yours. Off it would work fine, on it would work several times and then without warning quit. Good Luck, hbrandon
hbrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Check all of your connections for corrosion. Grounds, plugs, etc.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
My step issue

Our steps started acting up on our way back home this past spring.

So I bought a new magnetic door switch. Bought a white one instead of replacing the black one. WRONG MOVE

I now have a white one that opens the steps when the door is closed.

I’m waiting for delivery of the black switch to operate the steps properly.

Lesson learned. Replace with same colour.

Cheers

DJ
Old 08-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #11

Check the black box on the door frame for a Broken wire that was my problem
bearcat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Was there a way you determined that without buying the connector to make all the tests ?

I actually had a bunch of rare earth magnets and they are far stronger than the one in the door, so I held them close to the reed switch in the door and it worked. It worked a few times after that and then quit. It was the switch in the frame.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a similar problem with my Kwikee steps. They worked intermittently, but did not come out and retract immediately. They seemed to work better when the engine was running, than when off. I have a series 32 step and have the owners manual. I did not have that test pigtail, so I fabricated one with scrap wire and performed all the tests in the manual. Everything checked out, so I suspected the motor.
On several occasions I crawled under the RV and tapped the step motor with a hammer. This made the step open, until finally it would not any more. A friend mentioned that one should never hit a motor as that can dislodge its magnets and the motor is then history. Well, some of us are slow learners. When I wired the motor directly to the battery, it worked ok, so apparently that extra voltage (engine running) said the motor may be weak or failing.

I did some online research, and also found somewhere on iRV2 that my step motor may be the same as the one out of the passengers side of a 60s Taurus. Mine was a Dorman model 742-210 (replacement for the Lippert LC 379608 step motor). When it arrived it matched my motor perfectly. While I had the motor assembly out, I thoroughly greased the gears in the gear box. The motor cost from NAPA was $45 + shipping and tax, saving me $100.
johninga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:47 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sadly frustration got the best of me. I had taken the motor out, connected to the battery and it worked fine. Naturally I assume that is not the issue. Next I check, check and check again all the connections to the control module. They all appeared fine and in fact the grounds were fine. Out of frustration I gave in and had a complete system (minus the actual steps) installed. I was later informed that the motor was drawing mega amps which was a sign of death for it. I believe there was an internal issue with the control module also. While I spent more $$$ than I wanted to, the problem is now resolved. I certainly was capable of changing the parts but actually diagnosing the problem was above my pay grade. Thank you all who offered up your invaluable advice and thoughts.

Tags
kwikee