Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Another Learning Question - Water Pump While Connected

I wanted to ask if there is any harm keeping your water pump turned on when connected to a water service in a campground. I have a pressure regulator on my incoming line and always keep it at 40 PSI or lower. So I get OK water pressure without the pump however, when my wife accidentally turned on the pump during our last trip we got much better water pressure in the shower?

Thanks,

Papabrer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #2

No harm at all. In fact it is an advantage.

The pump has a outlet check valve to make sure the water runs through the pump when pumping and cannot backflow either when pumping or when the house pressure is higher.

In fact, low pressure at the post is a common problem at campgrounds especially when everybody decides to shower at 7AM in the morning. Keeping the pump on means that if there is insufficient pressure from the post the pump will kick in and make up the pressure and flow. You have to keep water in the fresh tank to do so or the pump will just spin with no water flow.

What happened with the shower, the flow is typically higher than other use. At 40 PSI post supply on the inlet the pump pressure switch (on the outlet of the pump) saw a low pressure than set point and kicked on the pump, giving more flow and pressure to the shower. Most of these pumps are set for 50-60 PSI and can be field adjusted. With your supply at 40PSI the pump was trying to get you to 60 PSI, hence the pump did it job.

I would change your regulator to 50 PSI as the house plumbing can take up to 75-100 PSI will no problems. But you may need the pump on at some campgrounds to keep the DW content in her shower.
pneumatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Just have to make sure your fresh tank has water in it or the pump won't do any good. It uses water from the fresh tank to supplement the flow thus increasing the pressure.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBrer View Post
So I get OK water pressure without the pump however, when my wife accidentally turned on the pump during our last trip we got much better water pressure in the shower?

Papabrer
The reason for better pressure with the pump on is that you set your pressure regulator to only 40# while the pump is typically set to supply at least 45# and probably at 50#. What happens is the supply with the higher pressure will supply all of the water. The only down side is that your pump will in time empty the fresh water tank. If it were me, since you have an adjustable pressure regulator, I would adjust it up to 50# or so. The RV water systems are typically designed to operate between 40# and 60# and are tested at 100#.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump