Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
All four rear to be replaced this summer so we will see. We had the two front replaced on April while at a CG for about $500 a copy plus labor of course. I thought it was a good deal. Good Sam RSA picked up part of the cost. XZE275/80R22.5 were replaced by XZE2. FMCA saved us around $75 each if I remember correctly.

No complaints with FMCA. The cost to join up was a gift compared to the savings in tires and it is a good RV resource.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
My big complaint with the plan is there seems to be no way to know the exact plan price until after you purchase and they are installed.
To find out exactly what the tire will cost through FMCA you go to their web site and look at the sample price list - it lists a lot of common sizes and shows the tire price AND the FET amount. It also says if the tire you're not interested in is not listed then call their customer service line. I did that because the dealer I went to did not have the XRV tires that were on my RV, but did have the XZE tires, which were not on the sample price list. The CS rep answered the phone on the 2nd ring and was very pleasant to talk to. She told me the tire price, the FET price, and mentioned that they had no control over what the dealer would charge for mounting, etc.

It was no trouble at all finding out the exact price I was going to be paying for the tires...
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #17

I am learning more as I go with these plans. From the input on this thread and information with the Michelin dealer I am working. It seems that the plans are essentially the same, The Michelin Adgantage Plan. FMCA may be getting a small hold in the end, but not much. The manager at my chosen tire center claimed cost of tire is the same. She felt FMCA might be faster to get me setup but suggested I go ahead and file thru Michelin to maybe to usable at a later date when I perhaps did not want to be a member of FMCA (which I am not at present). I registered with Michelin online and got accepted within a day so that is the plan I will go with unless something steers me away when insattaltion is at hand. Currently I am waiting on some repairs at the nearby (to tire center) Freightliner dealership. It seems that cost may be the same but final total falls on the shop charges of mounting, balancing, and parts such as new stems. The manager offer me $50 per tire to help recover in shop expense. I feel I could get more per tire if I wanted to put time into it, but living quite rural and around 90 miles from these centers. I will take her top offer, not have to transport the old tires home, and be done with them.

I will report more as I learn.

I will add another question for those following thread. My tires (280 80R 22.5) are G rated , is there any reason to up rating to H? Sorry I do not know front axle weight but last time weighed RV it was right at 30K total pretty loaded.

More later.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #18

In July of '11 I bought 6 Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires at Sam's Club and paid considerably less than the FMCA program price.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
In July of '11 I bought 6 Michelin 9R22.5 XZE tires at Sam's Club and paid considerably less than the FMCA program price.
Mel
'96 Safari
What would those tires cost you today? Kind of worthless to compare prices from two years ago.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
There is something wrong here.

FMCA has the price list online. Did you pay more that this list???

http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/p...lin-prices.pdf

My tires cost were exactly the same as the above FMCA chart.

Scan and post your tire invoice from Michelin. Mine is below. Note: I also had new steel truck valve stems installed.

Update on my Invoice

Yesterday my credit care statement showed I was billed $3105 by Michelin. Today I get a email Michelin invoice showing total billed CC was $2967, checked the CC statement today and it does show that amount. $2967 is $81 over the estimated price and that is not a problem. Still I fail to see the big savings some claim using the FMCA plan. But as I said before, I did get 2013 build tires that other non FMCA plan tire dealers could not get. I just glad the tires are on and I can get on down the road and not have to think about are those very small weather checks getting larger as I drive.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
What would those tires cost you today? Kind of worthless to compare prices from two years ago.
dons2346

WORTHLESS??....
Sorry about that....I thought that anyone looking to buy tires could use a HINT about possible savings.
Apparently you missed the point of my post?
The POINT IS: It may be possible to SAVE money by buying Michelins from Sam's Club.
Since costs nothing, an INTELLIGENT buyer would take the time to CHECK with Sam's Club BEFORE buying from FMCA.

BTW, it's not up to me to do a current price comparison for you, (to save money you sometimes have to listen to the ideas of others, and do a little work of your own).
If you don't like my HINT, don't use it.....(I can't make you save money if you don't want to).

Mel
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I bought thru FMCA's and Michelin's Fleet Purchase Plan and posted my sales receipt in this thread.

In response to the Sams Club post, I checked with Sams Club and their pricing was not competitive. Plus the fact that Sams Club will not mount 22.5" tires. I would have had to haul 6 - 22.5" tires to a truck shop to have them mounted, which would have been a major di$advantage to me.

I was going to bring my old tires home and sell them on CraigList. My buddy took his old tires home and sold them for ~$300 on CraigList. I was going to do the same but when I saw what a hassle it was to transport these tires I just left them at my Michelin Tire dealer. Plus, I would have had to store them in my garage until sold. And I was leaving for 3 months in FL a week after I bought my tires.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I bought thru FMCA's and Michelin's Fleet Purchase Plan and posted my sales receipt in this thread.

In response to the Sams Club post, I checked with Sams Club and their pricing was not competitive. Plus the fact that Sams Club will not mount 22.5" tires. I would have had to haul 6 - 22.5" tires to a truck shop to have them mounted, which would have been a major di$advantage to me.

I was going to bring my old tires home and sell them on CraigList. My buddy took his old tires home and sold them for ~$300 on CraigList. I was going to do the same but when I saw what a hassle it was to transport these tires I just left them at my Michelin Tire dealer. Plus, I would have had to store them in my garage until sold. And I was leaving for 3 months in FL a week after I bought my tires.
I did bring all 6 tires home with me, saving $12 per tire scrap fee. Plus I already had the old tires sold, all 6 gone for $600.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #24

Quote:

Tom
To each his own.
I wasn't guaranteeing that Sam's Club WILL save money........ just saying that it can't hurt to check with a place not always thought of as a supplier of RV tires.
At one time you needed tires you apparently thought it was a good idea as well, since you checked with Sam's Club before you bought your tires.

Because of Sam's Club's lower price, I bought 6 new Michelin tires from there and took them to a nearby Michelin tire dealer for mounting and spin balancing, and I took the old tires back to Sam's for disposal, (in the back of a minivan).
That "hassle" resulted in a savings of $195..... ($25 each less than the FMCA "special" price and $7.50 less each less than the tire dealer's $10 ea disposal charge).
Mel
'96 Safari, 130k miles